Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-05-02T15:13:44Z by smithkenny
slippyJ
slippyJ
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WAS single module updates

‏2014-04-07T10:48:04Z |

I have one EAR application which contains three different war projects. I was trying to update one of the war projects in my EAR which is deployed on WAS and already functioning. I'm updating through "Replace or add a single module"  on my chosen EAR, the update steps all complete, I save the configuration.

Today I did the same for one of my war modules but the change was not functioning, all test cases failed. I decided to completely remove the war module from the application, save configuration and then add (not update) this same war module. The module now works as expected, no errors.

My question is; why does the update sometimes work but other times I need to remove and re-install separate war modules? Is there a specific change I make that requires a fresh install?

The change I made in this case was adding an input (prompt) variable, writing the value into a field. I updated the IO, updated webservice support files and recreated the webservice (all of this in RAD). All modules are exposed as traditional webservices.

• tmparker
    tmparker
    516 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS single module updates

‏2014-04-09T06:04:13Z  in response to slippyJ

Unfortunately we don't control how WAS does these updates.  I have noticed at certain times in the past that some changes I make to my HATS project will force WAS to update my EAR and everything runs fine.  Other times, I make changes and then I have to manually click to republish the project and sometimes WAS will then see there updates and publish them and the project runs fine.  A few times I have seen issues where I have to remove the EAR and then republish again clean in order for WAS to pick up the changes.  I don't know why WAS behaves like this or what criteria it is checking to determine whether it can republish the project or not.  You may need to ask this question to the WAS team to see if they can explain better what it is looking for.

Thanks
    Tim

• slippyJ
      slippyJ
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-10T08:22:46Z  in response to tmparker

Tim thank you for you answer.

I think I will always do a full republish just in case and try and find some answers from WAS related communities/teams.

• smithkenny
        smithkenny
        23 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-02T15:13:44Z  in response to slippyJ

You can do a single module update using Jython scripting to the wsadmin interface. It gives you more control over exactly what happens. It also allows you to incorporate it into a build process (such as the build engine of Rational Team Concert).