Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-13T14:29:49Z by WMB_learner
O4BO
O4BO
8 Posts

Pinned topic ESQL "Documentation"

‏2013-04-25T08:01:53Z |

Can anyone point to any ESQL Documentation that actually shows ESQL?  A Tutorial, a book, anything but the InfoCenter?  For someone trying to learn a programming language with almost no examples of that programming language, this has got to be the most rediculous excuse for Documentation I have ever seen and I have been programming since 1970.  Event the RailRoad Diagrams...don't show ESQL, they show A..B...C  

A perfect example is this page http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v7r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.doc%2Fac16840_.htm

It describes a lot of stuff about ESQL, but doesn't show one line of ESQL doing what is being described.

Somebody sometime had to have done a better job.  I would even buy a book just to avoid the infocenter on ESQL.

Ollie

• fjb_saper
    fjb_saper
    125 Posts

Re: ESQL "Documentation"

‏2013-04-30T16:28:45Z  

I feel you being prejudiced there. 

The page you referenced shows code examples:

SET Environment.Variables = 

ROW('granary' AS bread, 'reisling' AS wine, 'stilton' AS cheese);
    SET Environment.Variables.Colors[] = 
          LIST{'yellow', 'green', 'blue', 'red', 'black'};
    SET Environment.Variables.Country[] = LIST{ROW('UK' AS name, 'pound' AS currency),
             ROW('USA' AS name, 'dollar' AS currency)};

It also holds a reference to the airline sample which contains more ESQL code.

Looking at the reference, apart from the railroad diagram showing you the syntax you also have more often than not a little example somewhere on the page, illustrating the use.

And no there is no "language" book as this would not be that helpful. How would you know which java commands to use to build a house? The same thing goes for ESQL. The language is primarily used to manipulate the message tree. If you have no concept of the message tree, please take a class.

• O4BO
    O4BO
    8 Posts

‏2013-04-30T20:10:48Z  
    • fjb_saper
    • ‏2013-04-30T16:28:45Z

I feel you being prejudiced there. 

The page you referenced shows code examples:

SET Environment.Variables = 

<pre class="pre codeblock" dir="ltr" style="font-family: 'Andale Mono', 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; margin: 0.3em 0.4em 0.2em 0em; background-color: rgb(240, 240, 240); padding: 0.2em 0em 0.2em 2em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> ROW('granary' AS bread, 'reisling' AS wine, 'stilton' AS cheese); SET Environment.Variables.Colors[] = LIST{'yellow', 'green', 'blue', 'red', 'black'}; SET Environment.Variables.Country[] = LIST{ROW('UK' AS name, 'pound' AS currency), ROW('USA' AS name, 'dollar' AS currency)}; </pre>

It also holds a reference to the airline sample which contains more ESQL code.

Looking at the reference, apart from the railroad diagram showing you the syntax you also have more often than not a little example somewhere on the page, illustrating the use.

And no there is no "language" book as this would not be that helpful. How would you know which java commands to use to build a house? The same thing goes for ESQL. The language is primarily used to manipulate the message tree. If you have no concept of the message tree, please take a class.

fjb, how rude.  You call me "prejudiced" and ridicule me by saying "take a class".  I admit I pasted the wrong link.  The fact remains that the ESQL documentation is decidedly lacking in examples of ESQL and the link I thought I was pasting was http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v7r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.doc%2Fac16840_.htm  that page and virtually all the pages it links to have no ESQL examples.

Your analogy java commands and building a house is simply idiotic.  Thanks for your rude and idiotic response, it was absolutely no help.  I will take a class when it is next scheduled at IBM but until then I thought someone might just have a better ESQL reference, you obviously don't.  Congratulation on you knowing more than I do about ESQL.

• WMB_learner
    WMB_learner
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-13T14:29:49Z  
    • O4BO
    • ‏2013-04-30T20:10:48Z

fjb, how rude.  You call me "prejudiced" and ridicule me by saying "take a class".  I admit I pasted the wrong link.  The fact remains that the ESQL documentation is decidedly lacking in examples of ESQL and the link I thought I was pasting was http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v7r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.doc%2Fac16840_.htm  that page and virtually all the pages it links to have no ESQL examples.

Your analogy java commands and building a house is simply idiotic.  Thanks for your rude and idiotic response, it was absolutely no help.  I will take a class when it is next scheduled at IBM but until then I thought someone might just have a better ESQL reference, you obviously don't.  Congratulation on you knowing more than I do about ESQL.

O4BO, see if this PDF helps ? (Probably its the PDF version of same documentation you referring to, but worth a look)

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/integration/wbibrokers/docs/V6.1/messagebroker_ESQL.pdf