Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-26T15:41:14Z by jgstew
ADutch1
ADutch1
2 Posts

Pinned topic Agents using IEM Root as Relay

‏2014-03-25T18:01:21Z |

Is there a way to have the root not be an option as a relay for agents? Currently my Root is functioning as a relay for about 800+ clients (in a 15000 agent deployment) and I can't seem to get that number down. I have tried setting the option to disable the Automatic Relay selection availability and forcing the current agents to re-select their relays... but as others leave, new ones come back on...

It just seems like a lot of wasted resources on the Root...

• jgstew
    jgstew
    47 Posts

Re: Agents using IEM Root as Relay

‏2014-03-25T21:39:54Z  

Are you using Relay affiliation groups? You should not have your root server in the first few affiliation groups that your clients use.

There is something else we do in our environment to push clients to a different relay if they are using the root server as well, but I don't know the details off hand.

It is not recommended to have clients talk to the root server directly if it can be avoided.  ( I suppose it would not matter in very small environments )

• ADutch1
    ADutch1
    2 Posts

‏2014-03-26T12:33:11Z  
    • jgstew
    • ‏2014-03-25T21:39:54Z

Are you using Relay affiliation groups? You should not have your root server in the first few affiliation groups that your clients use.

There is something else we do in our environment to push clients to a different relay if they are using the root server as well, but I don't know the details off hand.

It is not recommended to have clients talk to the root server directly if it can be avoided.  ( I suppose it would not matter in very small environments )

Even with affiliation groups they seem to go home... if you could find out for me what the other method is, I would greatly appreciate it...

• jgstew
    jgstew
    47 Posts

‏2014-03-26T15:41:14Z  
    • ADutch1
    • ‏2014-03-26T12:33:11Z

Even with affiliation groups they seem to go home... if you could find out for me what the other method is, I would greatly appreciate it...

Well I checked, and I guess I was mistaken.

We have an open action called "Reselect Relay for clients using Top Level Relays"

The actionscript is just "relay select"

The relevance is:

(not exists relay service) AND (exists setting "__RelaySelect_Automatic" whose (value of it = "1") of client) AND ((name of registration server as uppercase = "ROOTSEVER.DOMAIN.TLD:52311") OR (name of registration server as uppercase = "TOPLEVELRELAY1.DOMAIN.TLD:52311") OR (name of registration server as uppercase = "TOPLEVELRELAY2.DOMAIN.TLD:52311"))

Also very important: the retry on failure was set to once every 30 min and retry while relevant once every hour. You could do less aggressive settings, but I would recommend against more aggressive settings for the retry.