We have a V7000 running with 2 expansion enclosures. We are running firmware version 126.96.36.199. Each enclosure has 2 8-disk RAID-5 and a single 7-disk RAID-5. Last disk in the enclosure is a hotspare.
The following has happened twice for us, so I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same, or if anyone knows that I am doing something wrong.
1) A disk fails in one of the enclosures.
2) The hotspare kicks in.
3) When the hotspare is fully operational, we open the management gui and see the disk error.
4) We start the recommended Fix Procudure Wizard and the wizard instructs us to replace the faulty drive, which we do.
5) The new drive becomes A PART OF THE RAID instead of a new hotspare.
6) The old hotspare doesn't cease to operate as a new disk and goes back to being a hotspare. It stays as a new disk in the affected RAID, and the RAID is now a 9-disk RAID instead of a 8-disk RAID.
Now, to my knowledge it isn't possible to shrink a RAID on the V7000, so we are slowly running out of hotspares, because every time we have a faulty drive, the raid expands after disk replacement, and we loose a hotspare. Luckily we configured 1 hotspare in each enclosure, so we still have one left, but what is going on here?
My guess is one of the following:
1) The Fix Procedure must not be run when using hotspares. New replaced drives should instead just manually be marked as hotspares.
2) This is a bug in the firmware.
Anyone got any inputs?