Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-22T12:17:32Z by Jeremy Main
Jeremy Main
Jeremy Main
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Serial console to Full system partition from ASMI - 8246-L2D

‏2013-10-18T16:11:08Z |

Hi,

Just got a brand new PowerLinux 7R2 8246-L2D and cannot see any way to establish a serial console from ASMI to the full system partition which I believe is pre-installed on the system. 

Apologies for the newby question.

Regards,

Jeremy Main

Updated on 2013-10-18T16:11:43Z at 2013-10-18T16:11:43Z by Jeremy Main
  • KerstenRichter
    KerstenRichter
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Serial console to Full system partition from ASMI - 8246-L2D

‏2013-10-21T14:27:20Z  in response to Jeremy Main

Hello!

Sorry for your problems! Does your system have a graphics card installed?  Establishing a serial console can be difficult if a graphics card is present.  Secondly, what kind of cable are you using for the connection? You need to use a serial to RJ-45 cable.  Finally, what are you using as your terminal emulator program communication settings?  Set the communication to use a
    19200 baud with data bits of 8, a parity of None, and stop bits of 1.

You can find more information about installing Linux on a Power system in the Linux information center at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/index.jsp.  Look under PowerLinux servers -> Installing Linux on PowerLinux servers -> Installing Linux on PowerLinux  servers.  You may especially want to look at our Quick Start guides and videos for installing Linux on PowerLinux servers.

Let me know if you have further issues.

Kersten Richter

• Jeremy Main
      Jeremy Main
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Serial console to Full system partition from ASMI - 8246-L2D

‏2013-10-22T12:17:32Z  in response to KerstenRichter

Hi Kersten,

Thanks for your response. I managed to eventually find that I needed to capture the serial console as the system was booting - from there onwards I was fine. I use minicom @19200-8N1 in the end with an RJ-45 serial cable plugged in at S2 port. There is no VGA Graphics card installed.

Next I need to figure out how to boot the RHEL instance with a VNC server to graphics console - perhaps a little more reading.

Kind regards,

Jeremy