• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-18T17:35:42Z by Chris_Young
Chris_Young
Chris_Young
4 Posts

Pinned topic Remote deploy from Eclipse Juno SR2 to WAS 8.5.5

‏2013-07-17T17:40:44Z |

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody has been successful in connecting an Eclipse Juno to perform a run/deployment on a remote WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5. 

When I attempt to define a new server based on the server type "WebSphere Application Server v8.5" I enter the IP address as the hostname, however, when moving on to the next screen it then asks me for the location of the "Installation Directory".  However, the WAS is remote, I don't have it installed on my workstation.

I currently have the following plugins installed (apologies for the formatting):

Dojo Toolkit 1.8 (optional)    8.5.1001.v20121206_1718  
  Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers    1.5.2.20130211-1820
  OSGi Application Development Tools    8.5.5000.v20130528_1930
  Web Development Tools    8.5.1001.v20121206_1718
  WebSphere® Application Server V8.5 Tools    8.5.5000.v20130528_1930  
  WebSphere® Application Server V8.5 Tools - Liberty Profile    8.5.1001.v20121206_1718  

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Chris

• e_yuen
    e_yuen
    27 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Remote deploy from Eclipse Juno SR2 to WAS 8.5.5

‏2013-07-17T18:35:46Z  

You'll still need a WebSphere Application Server installed locally on your machine as well (e.g. for project compilation purpose and other operation of the tool) even if you are connecting to a remote server.  In case you are using Mac OS, you can follow this instruction to download and install the runtime stubs: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21640751.  Note that the instruction in the link is explicitly for Mac OS only.  You'll need a locally installed server for all other platforms.

Also, if you are using RAD, the RAD installation comes with the runtime stub that you can install so you don't need to explicitly install a locally installed server.

Elson

• e_yuen
    e_yuen
    27 Posts

‏2013-07-17T18:35:46Z  

You'll still need a WebSphere Application Server installed locally on your machine as well (e.g. for project compilation purpose and other operation of the tool) even if you are connecting to a remote server.  In case you are using Mac OS, you can follow this instruction to download and install the runtime stubs: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21640751.  Note that the instruction in the link is explicitly for Mac OS only.  You'll need a locally installed server for all other platforms.

Also, if you are using RAD, the RAD installation comes with the runtime stub that you can install so you don't need to explicitly install a locally installed server.

Elson

• Chris_Young
    Chris_Young
    4 Posts

‏2013-07-18T01:44:03Z  
    • e_yuen
    • ‏2013-07-17T18:35:46Z

Elson

Thanks for the help so far, I think I am very close!  I am indeed using Mac OS (good guess).  I've managed to follow the technote however I seem to be missing some last step.  I have downloaded and extracted the stubs (however it looks like I might have already had them with the original Web Developer plugin).  Here is what I have:

new-host:runtimes user$ pwd
    /Users/user/Desktop/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.websphere.wdt.stubs_1.0.0.v20130507_0006/runtimes
    new-host:runtimes user$ tree -L 1
    ├── base_stub
    ├── base_v61_stub
    ├── base_v7_stub
    ├── base_v85_stub
    └── base_v8_stub

5 directories, 0 files

I tired to point to the base_v85_stub directory as well as several sub directories such as "base_v85_stub/profiles/AppSrv01" and the Eclipse UI doesn't believe that it is a valid directory.  Same situation if I point to the version I downloaded from PAO.

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks so much for the help!

• e_yuen
    e_yuen
    27 Posts

‏2013-07-18T15:38:04Z  

Thanks for the help so far, I think I am very close!  I am indeed using Mac OS (good guess).  I've managed to follow the technote however I seem to be missing some last step.  I have downloaded and extracted the stubs (however it looks like I might have already had them with the original Web Developer plugin).  Here is what I have:

new-host:runtimes user$ pwd
    /Users/user/Desktop/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.websphere.wdt.stubs_1.0.0.v20130507_0006/runtimes
    new-host:runtimes user$ tree -L 1
    ├── base_stub
    ├── base_v61_stub
    ├── base_v7_stub
    ├── base_v85_stub
    └── base_v8_stub

5 directories, 0 files

I tired to point to the base_v85_stub directory as well as several sub directories such as "base_v85_stub/profiles/AppSrv01" and the Eclipse UI doesn't believe that it is a valid directory.  Same situation if I point to the version I downloaded from PAO.

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks so much for the help!

Do not use the version under the /Users/user/Desktop/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.websphere.wdt.stubs_1.0.0.v20130507_0006/runtimes directory.  It has different content and it is for internal use of the product with a different purpose.  The one that you have downloaded is the real stub.

Make sure you follow the installation instruction exactly (especially where you unzip the zips).  The runtimes folder has to be under the same folder as the eclipse executable.  For example, if you download and extract eclipse under /Application/IBM/WDT, then you'll get /Application/IBM/WDT/eclipse.  Then, the runtimes folder should be /Application/IBM/WDT/eclipse/runtimes.

Also, make sure you restart the workbench after the unzip if the tool is already running.  If the installation location is correct, then the tool will not prompt you for the installation directory at all since a runtime will be created automatically.

Elson

• Chris_Young
    Chris_Young
    4 Posts

‏2013-07-18T15:58:25Z  
    • e_yuen
    • ‏2013-07-18T15:38:04Z

Do not use the version under the /Users/user/Desktop/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.websphere.wdt.stubs_1.0.0.v20130507_0006/runtimes directory.  It has different content and it is for internal use of the product with a different purpose.  The one that you have downloaded is the real stub.

Make sure you follow the installation instruction exactly (especially where you unzip the zips).  The runtimes folder has to be under the same folder as the eclipse executable.  For example, if you download and extract eclipse under /Application/IBM/WDT, then you'll get /Application/IBM/WDT/eclipse.  Then, the runtimes folder should be /Application/IBM/WDT/eclipse/runtimes.

Also, make sure you restart the workbench after the unzip if the tool is already running.  If the installation location is correct, then the tool will not prompt you for the installation directory at all since a runtime will be created automatically.

Elson

Thanks again for all of the suggestions Elson.  Not sure what is going on with my eclipse.  I made sure the set-up of files matched the referenced Technote and continue to be prompted for my local AppServer path as per the previous screenshot. 

I then I went into Preferences -> Runtime Environments -> Search... and unfortunately it did not recognize anything in the runtimes/ directories (attached a screenshot below).

Here is the set-up I have now:

new-host:eclipse user$ tree -L 1
    ├── Eclipse.app
    ├── artifacts.xml
    ├── configuration
    ├── dropins
    ├── eclipse -> Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse
    ├── epl-v10.html
    ├── features
    ├── notice.html
    ├── p2
    ├── plugins
    ├── readme
    └── runtimes

8 directories, 4 files
    newhost:eclipse user$ tree -L 1 runtimes/
    runtimes/
    ├── base_85_stub
    ├── base_stub
    └── lib

3 directories, 0 files

• Chris_Young
    Chris_Young
    4 Posts

‏2013-07-18T17:35:42Z  

Thanks again for all of the suggestions Elson.  Not sure what is going on with my eclipse.  I made sure the set-up of files matched the referenced Technote and continue to be prompted for my local AppServer path as per the previous screenshot. 

I then I went into Preferences -> Runtime Environments -> Search... and unfortunately it did not recognize anything in the runtimes/ directories (attached a screenshot below).

Here is the set-up I have now:

new-host:eclipse user$ tree -L 1
    ├── Eclipse.app
    ├── artifacts.xml
    ├── configuration
    ├── dropins
    ├── eclipse -> Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse
    ├── epl-v10.html
    ├── features
    ├── notice.html
    ├── p2
    ├── plugins
    ├── readme
    └── runtimes

8 directories, 4 files
    newhost:eclipse user$ tree -L 1 runtimes/
    runtimes/
    ├── base_85_stub
    ├── base_stub
    └── lib

3 directories, 0 files

User error (surprise).   I redid all of the steps and sure enough I had somehow lost a "v" which was sufficient to make it not work.

I'm up and running now.  Big thanks to you Elson for all of your help!