13 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-01-20T15:05:01Z by ManikanthVangala
SantoshGaga
SantoshGaga
28 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Need Help on MAP report in Cognos 10.1.1 Report Studio

‏2013-11-01T15:15:35Z |

Hello Cognos Gurus!

I'm developing a map report in cognos 10.1.1  and need to know the list of countries and their exact spellings. Infact my report is throwing error for some countries like Bahama Union, Channel Islands, Curacao, Marshall Island, Netherland Antilles and Uraguay. For all other remaining countries in my database are perfectly working fine. I can choose 'Ignore data with no features' option to avoid the error I'm but I wanted these countries also to be the part of my report.

My plan is, once I came to know the correct country names for the above list which cognos map report understands, I would create alias country name and pass that to the map report. Please help!

Thanks in advance gurus!

-Santosh

Updated on 2013-11-01T15:18:17Z at 2013-11-01T15:18:17Z by SantoshGaga
  • rperzul
    rperzul
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Help on MAP report in Cognos 10.1.1 Report Studio

‏2013-11-12T16:20:46Z  in response to SantoshGaga

Hi,

you can install Map Manager (part of Framework Manager installation). You can then open the Cognos map definitions which are located in subfolder "maps". There you should find all required information including alias and expected names of countries.

Hope that works for you.

Regards,

Ron

• SantoshGaga
      SantoshGaga
      28 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-02T19:18:28Z  in response to rperzul

Ron, thanks a lot for your reply. I got the info from the world.cmf file in the maps subfolder.

Now I have futher queries as to how to generate map report for a region, per say all the countries in the North America region should be single colored in the map report in terms of total revenue generated from that region. So to say how would I find the countries and their respective regions for all the countries in the world.

When I opened the world.cmf in the map manager, It does not display the territory (region) with countries information. Is there a way to get a list of all the countries and their respective regions?

Thanks,

SG

• rperzul
        rperzul
        25 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-13T09:16:28Z  in response to SantoshGaga

I am not aware of a way to export this list from MapManager. Could you use the country layer instead? Here some additional information on Cognos maps.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/cognos/page114.html

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21340772&aid=7

• SantoshGaga
          SantoshGaga
          28 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-13T17:11:55Z  in response to rperzul

Thank you for replying to this post!!

My requirement is to show the revenue region wise and not country wise. As we all know the world is divided into different regions, e.g. Asia, Middle east, North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Oceania, North Africa etc.

If my datamart has information about the total revenue generated from the countries in the world, then I should be able to add them up to their respective world regions and show against each region by displaying a single color for that revenue, in other words, Asia should have a different color than Europe, Australia sould have a different color than MiddleEast, so on and so forth.

If this report is possible in the Report Studio Map report, then Cognos must be having an internal list of Regions. I want that list, so that I can incorporate those regions in my data source to map against. 

Would further appreciate your time on this!

• ManikanthVangala
    ManikanthVangala
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-13T11:02:30Z  in response to SantoshGaga

@SantoshGaga

The Correct names are like this

Netherlands Antilles (Correct)

Netherland Antilles (Original)

The Bahamas  (Correct)

Bahama Union (Original)

Marshall Islands (Correct)

Marshall Island (Original)

to my exten no need to go to cmf file and need to change you can do from here itself  by using Dictionary option so that use the Correct name and display name as you shown  name. Hope so your problem got solved.and the country  Curacao not found in my cmf file also soneed to add over there.

Is it helpful ??

• SantoshGaga
      SantoshGaga
      28 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-13T17:21:50Z  in response to ManikanthVangala

I apprciate your reply on this with the list of corrected country names. In fact I found those already. But My requirment is little different. Please look into my post above (posted today) to find my actual requirement.

Would appreciate any reply on my requirments.

Thanks!

SR

• ManikanthVangala
        ManikanthVangala
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-14T06:06:03Z  in response to SantoshGaga

@SantoshGaga

Haha.. unexpectedly i too have almost similar requirement i have data country wise but user wanna me to show in continentwise..Like when user wants to know the Revenue and continent name on mouseover ..

• SantoshGaga
          SantoshGaga
          28 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-14T15:17:01Z  in response to ManikanthVangala

You are correct, our requirments are close. Please let me know if you find some clues as to how to go ahead with that and vice versa. From the response we have got so far, it seems only a handful of people have explored on this map report.

Thanks,

SR

• ManikanthVangala
            ManikanthVangala
            10 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-15T15:26:01Z  in response to SantoshGaga

@SantoshGaga

Yes. To the far extent i got to know by using MapInfo Prodiessional tool we can acheive this,. This tool helps to create our own layers.But i didnt explore this tool till yet. If you have so colud you please ...

• SantoshGaga
              SantoshGaga
              28 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-16T15:34:46Z  in response to ManikanthVangala

Hi, do we have to buy the lisence of this product "MapInfo Professional" or is it available for free at least a trial one. Do you know the cost of this tool?

Thanks

SR