Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-13T18:25:39Z by Jeff Herman
Jeff Herman
Jeff Herman
4 Posts

Pinned topic Modeling multiple variants of a System object and its relationships

‏2014-01-07T23:07:37Z |

In System Architect I need to identify versions of System objects that have different variations of sub-systems (defined by Parent-Of relationships).  e.g. Suppose I have a System S and in variant 1 of S it has a sub-system A.  In variant 2 of S it has an additional sub-system B (i.e. S variant 2 is the parent of both A and B).  S variant 1 and S variant 2 are both "valid" active systems.  i.e. variant 2 doesn't necessarily succeed variant 2.  If it helps, instead of using numbers for the variants I could say S comes in a "standard" version and a "premium" version.  How do I go about modeling this in System Architect?  I thought about Workspaces but that seemed more of a configuration-management approach for a single architecture through its evolution and I am trying to model two legitimate variants.  I do not see any "version" attribute in the System definition.  I am trying to avoid making duplicate copies of S because S is used elsewhere in the architecture where the variants are irrelevant.

• sammyc
    sammyc
    109 Posts

Re: Modeling multiple variants of a System object and its relationships

‏2014-01-08T14:26:42Z  

It seems like you need to modify System Architect usrprops file to create a new property value (or more than 1) to allow for the variant definition to be maintained by one object that has multiple instances based on the properties of each instance. Do you know how to modify user properties?

• Jeff Herman
    Jeff Herman
    4 Posts

Re: Modeling multiple variants of a System object and its relationships

‏2014-01-13T18:25:39Z  
    • sammyc
    • ‏2014-01-08T14:26:42Z

It seems like you need to modify System Architect usrprops file to create a new property value (or more than 1) to allow for the variant definition to be maintained by one object that has multiple instances based on the properties of each instance. Do you know how to modify user properties?

Yes, I can make new properties.  I made a new property for a System(DM2) called "Version" so I can now specify the version/variant number for a System(DM2) object.  But this property doesn't appear in instances of System(DM2) so I guess I need to learn more about instances or not use instances and make my own "VariantOf" or "InstanceOf" property that is a relationship to another System(DM2).