• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-01-08T10:24:57Z by AnandPalani
KBSri
KBSri
104 Posts

Pinned topic Import of PDF document to DOORS in DXL Scripting

‏2014-02-21T09:42:00Z |

Hello All,

Can we import PDF document back to DOORS via DXl scripting?

Thanks

• Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2003 Posts

Re: Import of PDF document to DOORS in DXL Scripting

‏2014-02-21T20:27:22Z  

No. PDF is a very un-thankful format to import in DOORS. The most successful way I know of is to preprocess the PDF file using a good OCR Software to create an RTF / Word import document, and then import the resulting Word/RTF using one of the existing imports.

The basic problem with PDF is, that you do not know what you get. It could be just images of text. It can contain text, but still this text will be arbitrarily cut into textboxes so the natural paragraph flow gets lost. The OCR software is used even on PDFs that contain plain text to restore the natural paragraph order. You don't want to even try anything like this in DXL.

Regards, Mathias

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-24T10:11:43Z  

No. PDF is a very un-thankful format to import in DOORS. The most successful way I know of is to preprocess the PDF file using a good OCR Software to create an RTF / Word import document, and then import the resulting Word/RTF using one of the existing imports.

The basic problem with PDF is, that you do not know what you get. It could be just images of text. It can contain text, but still this text will be arbitrarily cut into textboxes so the natural paragraph flow gets lost. The OCR software is used even on PDFs that contain plain text to restore the natural paragraph order. You don't want to even try anything like this in DXL.

Regards, Mathias

Yes I am ware of that Mathias.

But just in case is there any possible ways to convert that in to document file and then import back to the DOORS?

Please give your valuable suggestions. Any script can be found for import of document file back to DOORS?

• Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2003 Posts

‏2014-02-25T13:01:11Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-24T10:11:43Z

Yes I am ware of that Mathias.

But just in case is there any possible ways to convert that in to document file and then import back to the DOORS?

Please give your valuable suggestions. Any script can be found for import of document file back to DOORS?

As I said, the only way I know that works for PDF is to use an OCR software that produces a Microsoft Word / RTF file and import that file to DOORS. For Word Document import you should checkout first the Word plugin bundled with DOORS. Regards, Mathias

• MichaelGeorg
    MichaelGeorg
    53 Posts

‏2014-02-26T12:55:54Z  

As I said, the only way I know that works for PDF is to use an OCR software that produces a Microsoft Word / RTF file and import that file to DOORS. For Word Document import you should checkout first the Word plugin bundled with DOORS. Regards, Mathias

Depending on the layout of the PDF you might also be successful with converting the PDF to Word and then importing it with common DOORS functionality.

Conversion e.g. is possible with adobe acrobat or hellopdf.

- Michael

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-27T09:50:06Z  

Depending on the layout of the PDF you might also be successful with converting the PDF to Word and then importing it with common DOORS functionality.

Conversion e.g. is possible with adobe acrobat or hellopdf.

- Michael

Yes thanks a lot for your suggestions. Converting from external software is possible.

I need suggestion about importing the converted document to DOORS.

There exists default commas.dxl but formatting needs to be done.

Any ideas on that pleas.

• AnandPalani
    AnandPalani
    1 Post

‏2015-01-08T10:24:57Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-27T09:50:06Z

Yes thanks a lot for your suggestions. Converting from external software is possible.

I need suggestion about importing the converted document to DOORS.

There exists default commas.dxl but formatting needs to be done.

Any ideas on that pleas.

Hello KBSri,

There is no quick solution for this because of the nature of the pdf files.

I would suggest the below

- Export the pdf to html (if the pdf file is not protected)

-Open the .html file in Word and saveAs .rtf.

- Now delete/modify/format the content as you need.

(Normally the HTML contents are in a table and hence will be imported as table into doors)

But if you want as a text then copy the .rtf content to an excel and format it.

Note: The time required depends upon the pdf content and its complex structure. I formated a ~150 pages document in 2 hours