Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-09T13:37:53Z by lazypete2
lazypete2
lazypete2
5 Posts

Pinned topic Using soma to disable domains

‏2014-06-05T16:34:24Z |

I'm searching for a way to use soma to help me when it's time for a firmware upgrade.

The procedure state that you should diable all domain to stop network flow through the datapower when doing a firmware upgrade.

Since we have 70+ domains disabling them one after the other using the GUI takes a life time :-S

Is there a way to use SOMA to disabled all but the default domain before running a firmware upgrade?

• lazypete2
    lazypete2
    5 Posts

Re: Using soma to disable domains

‏2014-06-05T17:01:39Z  

I have tried a few things but I'm not versed in XML and WSDL and stuff so im having a  hard time figuring it out.

Here are a few things I tried... but I don't know where I can get the info I need to build the soap envelope correctly.

<dp:request xmlns:dp="http://www.datapower.com/schemas/management">
        <dp:modify-config class="domain" name="TestDom">
            <mAdminState>disabled</mAdminState>
        </dp:modify-config>
    </dp:request>

I removed a few lines for it to be more clear, (kept only the good stuff ;-)

I tried with a few calls of do:do-action and a few do-modify-config

But to no avail. can someone point me in the right direction?

230 Posts

‏2014-06-05T17:06:17Z  

You should really quiesce though and not disable...

<DomainQuiesce>
    <name>?</name>
    <timeout>?</timeout>
    </DomainQuiesce>

Our dear friend Hermann has posted this sample XML for us where most commands are outlined: http://www.stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/blog/firestar-xml-mgmt-wsdl-soapui-requests.xml

Regards,

Anders

• lazypete2
    lazypete2
    5 Posts

‏2014-06-05T17:13:46Z  

Hello Anders, thanx for the reply

This might do the trick provided that I change a bit the way they (IBM) suggest we do firmware upgrades.

In the documentation it states:

After all domains are disabled, save the configuration.

From the CLI, note which domains are currently active and disable the domains

show domain 

conf domain <domainname>

admin-state disabled 

After all domains are disabled, save the configuration using the write mem command.

Reboot the appliance to free up resources.

I think they ask for a disable so that the domain don't start after the reboot.

So I guess if I just quiesce the domains and skip the reboot to free up resources? I should be fine, since they wont unquiesce until I tell them to.

Or after it has rebooted from the firmware upgrade process.

Im I right on this? Will a quiesced domain still be quiesce after a reboot or not?

Updated on 2014-06-05T17:15:08Z at 2014-06-05T17:15:08Z by lazypete2
  • Trey
    Trey
    225 Posts

‏2014-06-09T00:50:37Z  

I may have missed some of the needs or ideas suggested but in my lab i just:
    all-domains disable
    show domains
    (check the admin-state they should all be disabled)
    then as Pete noted 'write mem' to save the admin state down and do a shutdown reboot.

if you need more encrypted space then look into the co;flash;boot delete option if you want to remove the roll back firmware image.

for what its worth there are some steps listed in this technote for 9235 appliance types;

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21662595

hope this helps

• lazypete2
    lazypete2
    5 Posts

‏2014-06-09T13:37:53Z  

Thank you trey, this should be fine.

All in all what I wanted is a quick way to disable all domains and soma seemed a good approach.

But a two line command is the next best thing ;-)

I have a firmware upgrade scheduled this week so Ill try this and let you know.