3 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-05-17T19:40:46Z by kbilello
7902_John_McAvenue
7902_John_McAvenue
19 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Local Property Group - Copybook Resolution

‏2013-12-11T16:16:58Z |

Hi

I hope someone can help with this question regarding using local proprty groups.

Using RDz v9 (client and host) there is a SYSLIB field on the COBOL tab under Local Compiler Options This gives you the opportunity to define a search path on the local computer which the editor uses to resolve copybooks. That works for me.

Using RDz v9 (client and host) there is also a section on the COBOL tab under Copy LIbraries entitled Copy Libraries/ Remote. It gives you the opportunity to define a Connection Name then multiple pairs of LIbrary Name/ Library Path.

I have a couple of questions about how this is intended to be used

1. Is it used to define a local property group so that the editor looks for copybooks locally on the PC first  using the SYSLIB search path and then if not found on the local PC it uses the COPY LIBRARIES to search the mainframe data sets? Is that how its intended to work?

2. If this is correct then if I had a data set called LIVE.S01PROD.COPYBOOK2 how would would I split this into a Librarty Name and Library Path to enter into the remore copy libraries table? I've tried various permutations but no luck so far

Thanks in advance

• walexand
    walexand
    128 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Local Property Group - Copybook Resolution

‏2013-12-16T20:39:08Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

Hi John,

here is the help topic for the feature in question:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ratdevz/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.etools.zide.cmn.doc/topics/tzincllib.html

To answer your questions:

1) yes for local files associated with the property group, the local directories specified in SYSLIB on the Local Compile options page will be searched first and then if remote libraries are defined on the Copy Libraries they will be searched next.

2) The library name would be SYSLIB and the library path would be LIVE.S01PROD.COPYBOOK2.  If you had another remote library to include in the list it would go in the same entry in the table separated from the first library path by using a SPACE.  For example, the library path for the library named SYSLIB could equal LIVE.S01PROD.COPYBOOK2 LIVE.S01PROD.COPYBOOK3 LIVE.S01PROD.COPYBOOK4.

The documentation makes reference that SYSLIB can be used for the library name and it describes the use of alternate libraries such as MYLIB but I suppose an example for the most common use case (SYSLIB) would make it clearer.

I hope that helps.

• 7902_John_McAvenue
      7902_John_McAvenue
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-17T14:06:54Z  in response to walexand

Thank you very much for this Walexand. That works a treat.

• kbilello
    kbilello
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-17T19:40:46Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

Though option #2 works to resolve this issue, it is not reasonable to think every time a new copybook is introduced that the RDz user should have to update the property group.  My scenario is such that the copybook has the same name as the program so I can't put them both in the same dataset.  Both datasets are within the same subproject so there's no reason to think I must do something special.  RDz should start by resolving this copybook at the project level then go on to locally, and as a last resort the COBOL tab property group datasets.  I have logged Service request number 56700 379 000.

Updated on 2014-05-17T19:41:40Z at 2014-05-17T19:41:40Z by kbilello