• 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-08-24T20:25:19Z by davidInOttawa
BartJBakker
BartJBakker
11 Posts

Pinned topic MDM AE 11.5 Installation

‏2015-11-22T18:49:15Z | mdm-migration

Hi,

I am attempting to install the latest MDM 11.5 release on a Windows 7 environment, but I am unable to get it working. After (succesful) installation of all pre-requisite software (DB2/IM/RAD/WAS/MDMWB) an attempt to install the MDM Advanced server ends without warnings, but the (pre-created) database remains empty and no logfiles are created in the usual places indicated in the KC. (nothing in the IM logs and the product directory does have the database directories created but they are all empty). The only warning I receive from the installation manager is that it has insufficient space to install MDM, it states that it needs 25 GB (accompanied with an incorrect URL), but the KC states that it needs only 2GB. It seems to ignore this warning (even without selecting the checkbox). Anyway the pre-created database contains no tables after installation, but I am unable to see what went wrong, anyone have any suggestions?

BTW in this same environment I was able to install the MDM 11.4 release without any problems.

Regards,

Bart

• KaranBal
    KaranBal
    227 Posts

Re: MDM AE 11.5 Installation

‏2015-11-24T17:36:09Z  

That's hard to say. Maybe the installer just never attempted to create the tables because of one or more warnings (like space) or maybe the set-up was not complete. You could ask the DBA to check the database logs to see if there was even an attempt to contact the DB (misconfiguration if it didn't) or some database errors preventing it from completing the work items. So I would get an analysis from the DBA as a first step.

In general, following link contains details of all the diagnostic information we collect on MDM side and so you can review that: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21967803

• A Chitra
    A Chitra
    7 Posts

‏2015-12-01T07:05:51Z  

1. Did you attempt installation using Silent install or using Installation Manager GUI?

2. Did madconfig Configure_MasterDataManagement get executed?  If not, please go to <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/mds/scripts and execute madconfig.bat Configure_MasterDataManagement

3. Please check for logs in <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/logs/madconfig directory.

4. Please ensure that the WAS Profile on which you installed MDM has JDK version 1.7

• BartJBakker
    BartJBakker
    11 Posts

‏2015-12-01T09:37:39Z  
    • A Chitra
    • ‏2015-12-01T07:05:51Z

1. Did you attempt installation using Silent install or using Installation Manager GUI?

2. Did madconfig Configure_MasterDataManagement get executed?  If not, please go to <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/mds/scripts and execute madconfig.bat Configure_MasterDataManagement

3. Please check for logs in <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/logs/madconfig directory.

4. Please ensure that the WAS Profile on which you installed MDM has JDK version 1.7

Hi,

I used the installation manager GUI, and also ran the newly created pre-requisite checker tool. Which found that all pre-requisites were met, contrary to the installation manager that reported problems with diskspace. I used the debug options of the installation manager to find out what went wrong, but could not (easily) detect any errors.

Also I attempted installations both with and without the MDM server and also chose to run the madconfig.bat script at the end of the installation. It did ran but had the same effect the logging directories were created but nothing was in them and no tables were created. I did see that the installation was correctly connecting to the database server and retrieved the tablespace names correctly.

After installation of the application server I changed the JDK version for all future profiles to 1.7 so that cannot be the problem. I even changed the system JDK to this particular instance so the installer should not have an problems trying to perform external tasks, but this also did not help ....

I think the problem is with the installation manager since the pre-requisite tool is correctly identifying that all pre-requisites are met.

Regards,

Bart

• A Chitra
    A Chitra
    7 Posts

‏2015-12-01T10:00:52Z  

Hi,

I used the installation manager GUI, and also ran the newly created pre-requisite checker tool. Which found that all pre-requisites were met, contrary to the installation manager that reported problems with diskspace. I used the debug options of the installation manager to find out what went wrong, but could not (easily) detect any errors.

Also I attempted installations both with and without the MDM server and also chose to run the madconfig.bat script at the end of the installation. It did ran but had the same effect the logging directories were created but nothing was in them and no tables were created. I did see that the installation was correctly connecting to the database server and retrieved the tablespace names correctly.

After installation of the application server I changed the JDK version for all future profiles to 1.7 so that cannot be the problem. I even changed the system JDK to this particular instance so the installer should not have an problems trying to perform external tasks, but this also did not help ....

I think the problem is with the installation manager since the pre-requisite tool is correctly identifying that all pre-requisites are met.

Regards,

Bart

Please go to <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/mds/scripts and invoke

madconfig Configure_MasterDataManagement

• BartJBakker
    BartJBakker
    11 Posts

‏2015-12-06T18:53:15Z  
    • A Chitra
    • ‏2015-12-01T10:00:52Z

Please go to <MDM_INSTALL_DIR>/mds/scripts and invoke

madconfig Configure_MasterDataManagement

Hi,

I am pleased to report a little bit of progress; using the madconfig script WAS installation seems to be successful now. However, the database is still not containing any tables, but the good thing is that I now have a whole bunch of error logs that I can analyze:-)

Regards,

Bart

• CIK
    CIK
    1 Post

‏2016-04-27T02:34:31Z  

Hello,

Did you figure out what was the issue with the missing tables? I'm having the same issue.

Thank you,

CIK

• BartJBakker
    BartJBakker
    11 Posts

‏2016-05-06T06:28:19Z  

Hi,

Yes, I eventually figured out that doing two installations at the same time was not a good idea. I messed up my database credentials hence the missing tables and the error messages. I sorted things out and it is all running fine now.

BTW, in my previous installation experience with V10.1, the installation manager would create the majority of the database tables, but that has changed in one of the 11.x versions.

Regards,

Bart

• Alok_dresden
    Alok_dresden
    2 Posts

‏2016-05-25T13:30:47Z  

Hi BartJBakker,

I am trying to install MDM 11.5 with oracle database....the problem is that my database is not getting populated and i don't have logs also...

apart from that I am getting JR46369: EXCEPTION:JVMCFRE003 BAD MAJOR VERSION when i run the bat script from the following installation location C:\Program Files\IBM\MDM\mds\scripts 

do you have any solution?

thanks in advance!

best regards,

Alok

• EGorelenko
    EGorelenko
    6 Posts

‏2016-05-25T18:34:37Z  

Alok,

Having: "JR46369: EXCEPTION:JVMCFRE003 BAD MAJOR VERSION", when executing C:\Program Files\IBM\MDM\mds\scripts\madconfig.bat might be result of WAS environment is not properly switched to 1.7 SDK and specifically <WAS_HOME>\bin\ws_ant.bat, which is invoked by \madconfig.bat is still picking up 1.6 SDK.

To properly switch entire WAS environment to using 1.7 SDK and for properly installing MDMv11.5 I recommend:

1) run <WAS_HOME>\bin\managesdk.bat -listAvailable

2) run <WAS_HOME>\bin\managesdk.bat -setNewProfileDefault -sdkname 1.7.1_64

3) Create WAS profiles

4) run MDM installation again

• Alok_dresden
    Alok_dresden
    2 Posts

‏2016-05-27T13:22:32Z  

Alok,

Having: "JR46369: EXCEPTION:JVMCFRE003 BAD MAJOR VERSION", when executing C:\Program Files\IBM\MDM\mds\scripts\madconfig.bat might be result of WAS environment is not properly switched to 1.7 SDK and specifically <WAS_HOME>\bin\ws_ant.bat, which is invoked by \madconfig.bat is still picking up 1.6 SDK.

To properly switch entire WAS environment to using 1.7 SDK and for properly installing MDMv11.5 I recommend:

1) run <WAS_HOME>\bin\managesdk.bat -listAvailable

2) run <WAS_HOME>\bin\managesdk.bat -setNewProfileDefault -sdkname 1.7.1_64

3) Create WAS profiles

4) run MDM installation again

Hello @EGorelenko,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Still i am not getting my logs and database is not getting populated. i am using oracle 12 c.

do you have some solution?

Thanks in advance!!

best regards,

Alok

• EGorelenko
    EGorelenko
    6 Posts

‏2016-05-27T13:33:56Z  

Hi Alok.

Please zip and send me

C:\Program Files\IBM\MDM\mds\log

C:\Program Files\IBM\MDM\logs

to have a look at what could be an issue.

Evgueni.

• davidInOttawa
    davidInOttawa
    1 Post

‏2016-08-24T20:25:19Z  

Hello @EGorelenko,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Still i am not getting my logs and database is not getting populated. i am using oracle 12 c.

do you have some solution?

Thanks in advance!!

best regards,

Alok

Dredging up an old post.. I've been frustrated by this problem too. I figured out a couple things:

This is probably because you chose to install MDM in some location other than what IBM expects you to.. I installed it under \apps\ibm\mdm.

Looking at the madconfig.env file, it seems to think I installed under \Program Files\... One thing to fix.

Secondly check app.properties for a similar problem.. 

madconfig seems to be running now.. 

Of course, these files are generated, so the underlying cause is still out there... waiting to be fixed.

Cheers,

David