Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-07-13T17:40:22Z by Jesús Ibarra
NS3Q_edgar_uriel_zamora_lora
24 Posts

Pinned topic Resume Service via REST API doesn't work with new Coaches

‏2013-09-04T19:37:55Z |

I need to use the Resume Service via REST, but I noticed that it just works fine with Heritage Coaches because buttons have a ButtonId which is what the REST request need, and the new BPM8 Coaches doesn't have ButtonId (or I haven´t found it) just ControlId and the Resume Service doesn´t work, the work around is using Heritage Coaches but How can I make it works with BPM8 Coaches.

Thanks

uriel

• kolban
    kolban
    3321 Posts

Re: Resume Service via REST API doesn't work with new Coaches

‏2013-09-07T04:01:09Z  

Hi Uriel,

Do you have a link to the InfoCenter for the REST request in question?

Neil

• NS3Q_edgar_uriel_zamora_lora
    24 Posts

‏2013-09-07T04:24:33Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-07T04:01:09Z

Hi Uriel,

Do you have a link to the InfoCenter for the REST request in question?

Neil

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0mx/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.wbpm.main.doc%2Fic-homepage-bpm.html

Yes, I think is still valid for BPM 8.0,

thanks Neil, you rocks!

• kolban
    kolban
    3321 Posts

‏2013-09-07T04:55:55Z  

Hi Uriel,

I think this is the URL I was looking for:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0mx/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.bspace.ref.doc/rest/bpmrest/rest_bpm_wle_v1_service_instanceid_put_resume.htm

If so, I'm going to say that this is most likely going to be meaningful for Heritage Coaches only.  The architecture (as I think it worked) in pre v8 Coaches was that a Coach was shown to the user and then the Coach would send an event.  That event would then "wake up" the Human Service again to carry on.  The event would contain the "button id" that signaled the return from the Coach.

In new Coaches, there doesn't appear to be a REST request to achieve the equivalent.  Rather, a Coach View on the Coach page can execute a Coach View "trigger()" function to achieve a similar result.  This is not the same semantics as you might have been looking for however.  Where in pre-v8 Coaches you could effectively "simulate" user interaction with Coaches, that is not possible with new Coaches.

Maybe you can post back with the background story of what effect you are trying to achieve.

And ... no ... YOU rock ...

PS .... everyone should know "What the fox says"

24 Posts

‏2013-09-09T03:23:07Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-07T04:55:55Z

Hi Uriel,

I think this is the URL I was looking for:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0mx/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.bspace.ref.doc/rest/bpmrest/rest_bpm_wle_v1_service_instanceid_put_resume.htm

If so, I'm going to say that this is most likely going to be meaningful for Heritage Coaches only.  The architecture (as I think it worked) in pre v8 Coaches was that a Coach was shown to the user and then the Coach would send an event.  That event would then "wake up" the Human Service again to carry on.  The event would contain the "button id" that signaled the return from the Coach.

In new Coaches, there doesn't appear to be a REST request to achieve the equivalent.  Rather, a Coach View on the Coach page can execute a Coach View "trigger()" function to achieve a similar result.  This is not the same semantics as you might have been looking for however.  Where in pre-v8 Coaches you could effectively "simulate" user interaction with Coaches, that is not possible with new Coaches.

Maybe you can post back with the background story of what effect you are trying to achieve.

And ... no ... YOU rock ...

PS .... everyone should know "What the fox says"

The client has iframes inside coaches and they want to

remove the double continue button,

so the workaround is to make invisible the coach

button and vía Rest resume

the service just after the click of the external Ui

Updated on 2013-09-09T03:25:36Z at 2013-09-09T03:25:36Z by NS3Q_edgar_uriel_zamora_lora
  • developerworks_screen_name
    1 Post

‏2013-09-09T19:04:32Z  

Hi Edgar,

What is your use case.
    We need to understand why your are doing this.
    Originally. this feature was created to so that the non-BPM UI (no Coaches) could drive the process by emitting these REST API when user clicked on a button.
    In 8.5 you can still do that with Heritage Coaches.

Paul Pacholski

24 Posts

‏2013-09-09T19:15:12Z  

Hi Edgar,

What is your use case.
    Originally. this feature was created to so that the non-BPM UI (no Coaches) could drive the process by emitting these REST API when user clicked on a button.

Paul Pacholski

Hi Paul,

We are using BPM 8.0.1.1 advanced for Z Linux and the client decided to use iframes inside coaches for complex UI, but now they have the problem that the user has to click twice, one in the external application that is in the iframe and another click for the coach to pass to the other activities or services, they just need one click.

So my suggestion was the usage of REST as a work around but I'm telling that the best option is External activities, of course this option need more rework for the client.

And in my suggestion of REST I had to give them another workaround, the usage of heritage coaches which is a little embarrased offering the workaround of the workaround, so at the moment I want to know if this is a problem with REST for the new coaches.

thanks PJ

• Philipp_Schume
    Philipp_Schume
    1 Post

‏2014-03-31T14:23:33Z  

Hi Edgar,

What is your use case.

Paul Pacholski

Hi Paul,

I just ran into the same issue.

My use case is, that I created a kind of a batch service. Either triggered by the completion of a process or by expiration of time, it queries all tasks that contain a certain rule result (i.e. blocked).

Once a process finished which potentially changed the rule results, my batch service would press the "submit" button of the original task, to actually run through the rules evaluation again and potentially close out the task and continue the process.

The work around I see, would be the usage of UCAs. But that makes me lose the data entered into the Human Task. Another workaround for that could be to use REST Get Data to capture all data and the call a UCA. However, this feels a little more heavy than I wanted it to make.

Any thoughts for a good workaround?

p.s. I'm highly relying on Coach Views, so heritage coaches are no option for me.

• Jesús Ibarra
    Jesús Ibarra
    5 Posts

‏2015-07-13T17:40:22Z  

Hi, This is an old thread, but I'm facing the same issue about this REST method in an effort to build a REST client for automated process-application's testing in BPM 8.5.0.1.    I'm thinking in the option of change of coach type in Human services so when the application is in "testing mode", heritage coaches are used and the REST client interacts with the instance, otherwise normal Coaches will be used by the process user's. My only concern about this is when Heritage Coach will be deprecated by IBM and this solution could become a problem for this application product version migration's in the future.  Does anybody knows something about how long Heritage coaches will be supported by IBM or an alternative for interact with "new" Coaches (8.0+) using REST?

Updated on 2015-07-14T15:08:04Z at 2015-07-14T15:08:04Z by Jesús Ibarra