Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-12T00:18:53Z by OpherB
BhagatS
BhagatS
150 Posts

Pinned topic Actual and Target measures as one measure

‏2013-06-05T08:27:08Z |

Hello, In my cube, in the measures section I have an Revenue-Actual and Revenue-Target measure that come from seperate data sources. Within each data source is a Source Indentifier (1 is Actual, 2 is Target) which I then use as a dimension.

I would like to know if I can one measure for the above (Actual and Target together), so in report studio I can bring this new one measure as a row and place the dimension in the columns, so it would split out the values by source type.

I have attached an example to illustrate this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Actual and Target measures as one measure

‏2013-06-12T00:18:53Z  
    • BhagatS
    • ‏2013-06-11T08:39:34Z

I understand the purpose of the Scenario Dimension - not to roll up at member values at root level. However the setup of my cube is different and so this wont work exactly.

In my model, the underlying measures come from two data sources. So,

Source A has Revenue-Actual (Measure), 1 (Source Identifier) 

Source B has Revenue-Budget (Measure), 2 (Source Identifier) 

With this, do I place both these "measures" into the Measures section in transformer and from this can have/create Revenue which contains both sets of values so that when I use Source Identifier as a dimension it will split by 1 and 2.

I cannot see how this is a scenario dimension as I believe you have to start of with one measure and actual/budget values in that one data source.

In Source A, change the measure name to Revenue and the Source Identifier to Actual.

In Source B, change the measure name to Revenue and the Source Identifier to Budget.

Now, you have one Measure - Revenue and use the Source Identifier to define a new Dimension, which is your Scenario.

That should work for you.

Good luck,
    Opher

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts

‏2013-06-05T17:09:57Z  

You can do that in what is called a "Scenario Dimension". Just look that up in the Transformer User Guide.

Good luck,
    Opher

Updated on 2013-06-10T19:44:26Z at 2013-06-10T19:44:26Z by OpherB
  • BhagatS
    BhagatS
    150 Posts

‏2013-06-06T09:07:57Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-06-05T17:09:57Z

You can do that in what is called a "Scenario Dimension". Just look that up in the Transformer User Guide.

Good luck,
    Opher

Hi Opher, I do not understand this concept and have tried to follow the user guide without any luck.

Could you provide further details please?

How do I set up the two revenue measures - would they be seperate in the measures list?

Thanks,

Bhagat

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts

‏2013-06-10T19:45:39Z  
    • BhagatS
    • ‏2013-06-06T09:07:57Z

Hi Opher, I do not understand this concept and have tried to follow the user guide without any luck.

Could you provide further details please?

How do I set up the two revenue measures - would they be seperate in the measures list?

Thanks,

Bhagat

Now I'm confused. I thought the point of your question was to have ONE measure, but to be able to select if it was Actual or Target. That is how a Scenario Dimension works. Look it up in the User Guide for Transformer - it's a step-by-step instruction.

Good luck,
    Opher

• BhagatS
    BhagatS
    150 Posts

‏2013-06-11T08:39:34Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-06-10T19:45:39Z

Now I'm confused. I thought the point of your question was to have ONE measure, but to be able to select if it was Actual or Target. That is how a Scenario Dimension works. Look it up in the User Guide for Transformer - it's a step-by-step instruction.

Good luck,
    Opher

I understand the purpose of the Scenario Dimension - not to roll up at member values at root level. However the setup of my cube is different and so this wont work exactly.

With this, do I place both these "measures" into the Measures section in transformer and from this can have/create Revenue which contains both sets of values so that when I use Source Identifier as a dimension it will split by 1 and 2.

I cannot see how this is a scenario dimension as I believe you have to start of with one measure and actual/budget values in that one data source.

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts

‏2013-06-12T00:18:53Z  
    • BhagatS
    • ‏2013-06-11T08:39:34Z

In Source A, change the measure name to Revenue and the Source Identifier to Actual.

In Source B, change the measure name to Revenue and the Source Identifier to Budget.

Now, you have one Measure - Revenue and use the Source Identifier to define a new Dimension, which is your Scenario.

That should work for you.

Good luck,
    Opher