Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-24T11:02:11Z by 7902_John_McAvenue
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1086 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RDz pre-processor - can you view pre-processor generated COBOL?

‏2013-04-05T14:14:03Z |
Hi Folks

We are running our non-standard COBOL (contains syntax from our vendor FIS) through the vendor's pre-processor to generate standard COBOL. The standard COBOL gets downloaded back down to RDz which is great. The original lines of code which have got pre-proc generated COBOL behind them appear with a dark vertical line besides them. Good stuff so far.

However I would like to be able to dig down and view the generated COBOL that is lurking behind the scenes in RDz.

I would like to do this for our "data access groups" (DAG's) which is syntax specific to our FIS COBOL. These DAG's are generated into copybooks via the pre-processor so it would be nice to be able to expand the DAG to show the geenrated COBOL copybooks underneath. They must be there under the hood. Would be nice to be able to dig down and see them.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I missing something? can it be done or should I request it as an enhancement?

Cheers
  • TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDz pre-processor - can you view pre-processor generated COBOL?

‏2013-05-10T19:27:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin

As of 8.5.1, you should be able to hover the mouse over the text with the dark vertical line (the identified preprocessor statements) and an informational hover will appear showing the contents of COBOL text that it has been assumed this preprocessor statement is transformed into.  You can also use F2 to make the hovers appear on the selected text.

• 7902_John_McAvenue
      7902_John_McAvenue
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T10:40:38Z  in response to TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker

That mouse over feature would be very useful for us.

Is there anything we need to do to activate this feature?

It does not appear to be working for us - see the screen shot attached where I am hovering mouse over the lines larked with the vertical line to indicate pre-processor generated COBOL lurking below.

We are using 8.5.1 client and 8.5.0 host components.

Thanks and regards

John

• TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
        TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T15:54:54Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

It should be available on the RDz 8.5.1 client for the COBOL and PL/I Editors, but not for the System z LPEX Editor.  For preprocessor statements that are replaced with the empty string (removed from the preprocessor output) no hover will appear, but for statements transformed to other text, the hover should appear by hovering the mouse over the identified preprocessor statements (dark blue text with vertical line against the left side) or by placing the caret inside a statement and typing the F2 key

• 7902_John_McAvenue
          7902_John_McAvenue
          19 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T16:28:52Z  in response to TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker

Thanks very much for the steer.

Let me explain what our pre-processor does and perhaps you could tell me if the editor mouse over should work in these circumstances. It would be nice if it did becuase it would reveal our pre-processor generated copy book structures.

Our pre-processor comments out the original statements before inserting standard COBOL. So a line of original non standard COBOL code such as shown below (defines a data dictionary element in our application):

AMMSRT00 MOD,KEEP.

will be commented out and the standard COBOL copybook generated by the pre-processor will be inserted below as follows (indentations not shown)

* AMMSRT00 MOD,KEEP. /* ACCOUNT ROOT */ 01390000

************************************************************ AMMSRT00

*DICTIONARY OBJECT AMMSRT00 AMMSRT00

* GENERATED SATURDAY, JUNE 18, 1904 - 3:05:20 AMMSRT00

* ROOT LOGICAL DATA SEGMENT FOR BASIC LOAN DATA. AMMSRT00

************************************************************ AMMSRT00

01 AMMSRT00-ROOT-DATA. AMMSRT00

05 AMMSRT00-RT-KEY. AMRT027

10 AMMSRT00-RT-CTL-KEY. AMRT136

15 AMMSRT00-RT-CTL1 PIC X(2). AMCF069

15 AMMSRT00-RT-CTL2 PIC X(3). AMCF146

15 AMMSRT00-RT-CTL3 PIC X(3). AMCF147

15 AMMSRT00-RT-CTL4 PIC X(4). AMCF126

10 AMMSRT00-RT-ACCT-NUM PIC X(14). AMRT029

05 AMMSRT00-SNAPSHOT-KEY REDEFINES AMMSRT00-RT-KEY. AMRT279

10 AMMSRT00-SS-CTL-KEY PIC 9(13) COMP-3. AMRT280

10 AMMSRT00-SS-ACCT-NUM PIC 9(15) COMP-3. AMRT281

10 AMMSRT00-SS-NXT-IMAGE-DATE PIC 9(9) COMP-3. AMRT282

10 AMMSRT00-SS-IMAGE-DATE PIC 9(9) COMP-3. AMRT284

10 AMMSRT00-SS-TYPE PIC X. AMRT283

05 AMMSRT00-RT-SEARCH-KEYS.

and so on....

It woudl be good to hear your thoughts on this

Thanks

• TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
            TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
            13 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T16:40:49Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

Yeah seems like this should be working.  If it isn't, we should follow up with a PMR so we can figure out whats going on here

• 7902_John_McAvenue
              7902_John_McAvenue
              19 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-24T10:53:35Z  in response to TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker

I have it working now on the v9 client. Not sure if thats what made it work or whether I did something else. It now highlights source code which has underlying pre-processor generated COBOL present and hover over shows me what has been generated.

• RavikanthChavali
    RavikanthChavali
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-01T00:55:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin

I am starting to configure preprocessor for DAGs. Curious on how far you were able to do it and steps involved in doing it. Are you using Local or Remote preprocessor?

Updated on 2013-07-01T01:01:17Z at 2013-07-01T01:01:17Z by RavikanthChavali
    • 7902_John_McAvenue
      7902_John_McAvenue
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-24T11:02:11Z  in response to RavikanthChavali

Hi Ravikanth

I have set up a rather hard coded procedure as a proof of concept. I need someone to write some REXX scripts for me to make it properly parameterised. It does demonstrate the concept though. I can post further details of this if you like but I'm not sure how useful they will be as its really just something I cobbled together to see it working.

We are using remote Pre-processors.

When the member is opened the pre-processor script is called (remotely on the mainframe) which reads the parameters passed from the property group from the XML file generated by RDz. This REXX script calls our vendor's pre-processor program and generates a full COBOL source in another member which is defined to RDz in the property group. RDz downlaods this fuill COBOL back into the editor.

The expanded line sof code are highlighted (the method of highlighting is configurable under Preferences) and hover over displays the underlying pre-processor generated COBOL.

It seems to work well except for a minor thign which is that where we have multiple lines of non-standard COBOL consecutively the hover over displays the generated COBOL for all of these lines together rather than just showing the COBOL for the particualr line which I'm hovering over. Thats just a minor gripe though.