Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-04-16T17:16:41Z by Dragos.Cojocari
Craig_Cordrey
Craig_Cordrey
13 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RPE Compataibility with DOORS v9.5

‏2013-04-05T08:05:11Z |
I've done some reading through the threads here, but must admit to being confused regarding the latest version of RPE, versions of templates and their backward/forward compatability. So I've resorted to asking a specific series of questions.

My organisation's current configuration is DOORS v9.2.0.5 and RPE v1.1.1.2. We are looking to move to the latest version of DOORS (v9.5.x) so my questions are:

1. Is RPE v1.1.1.2 compatible with DOORS v9.5.x?
2. If not, and we have to upgrade to RPE v1.2.x, will our existing templates (created using v1.1.1.2) run under v1.2.x?
3. And will those templates behave in the same way with DOORS v9.5.x as they did with v9.2.0.5?

Many thanks.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1430 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RPE Compataibility with DOORS v9.5

‏2013-04-16T17:16:41Z  in response to Craig_Cordrey

Hey Craig,

>>> 1. Is RPE v1.1.1.2 compatible with DOORS v9.5.x?
    The system requirements list is the document that needs to be consulted for this and shows that RPE 1.1.1.x supports DOORS 9.5. But I strongly recommend upgrading to a newer version since RPE 1.1.1.2 is a very old version and lots of improvements have been done to RPE since 1.1.1.2.
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/prodguid/v1r0/clarity-reports/report/html/prereqsForProduct?deliverableId=1241773254991

>>> 2. If not, and we have to upgrade to RPE v1.2.x, will our existing templates (created using v1.1.1.2) run under v1.2.x?
    A newer RPE version is always able to load templates created with older versions. There is however the possibility that due to bug fixes and changes in the product the output of the template to be different from the one produced  by the older version. Also if moving to RPE 1.2 make sure you make a backup copy of the templates becuase if you choose to upgrade them to template  language 2 you will not be able to use those templates with any older RPE version.

>>> 3. And will those templates behave in the same way with DOORS v9.5.x as they did with v9.2.0.5?
    As mentioned above it is possible that your reports behave differently dues to fixes and other changes in RPE and DOORS. In most cases the changes will result in a better/more correct document but some of the changes also require the templates being modified to compensate for them. Given you are migrating from 2 very distant DOORS and RPE versions it is reasonable to expect you will need slight changes in your templates. At the same time an upgrade of the templates to use new features available in RPE 1.2 would be recommended anyway as it can male your templates simpler/faster.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
       Dragos

Updated on 2013-04-16T17:17:11Z at 2013-04-16T17:17:11Z by Dragos.Cojocari