Topic
  • 32 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-28T04:01:47Z by suomynona
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
445 Posts

Pinned topic SPSS 21 resets options, toolbars

‏2013-04-04T21:20:08Z |
I am having an odd problem where SPSS is intermittently forgetting my options (all non-default settings under Edit -> Options), as well as sometimes losing toolbars. This is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Most recently, I killed SPSS using the task manager, restarted SPSS, and then all the options were reset. I even got the "Locale or Unicode?" pop-up when I started SPSS (I always get this popup when the options are reset).

I am not sure where the options and toolbars are stored or why they are getting clobbered (if they are). I am having this problem intermittently on 2 computers. Both are running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.

Has anyone heard of this? Are these options stored in files, and if so, where can I find the settings and toolbars files so I can back them up and use them to restore the options?

I used SPSS 20 on one of these computers for 8 months without this ever having my options reset. I do have the Python extension on both computers (and did not with SPSS 20) but I don't know why this would affect anything.
  • aweis
    aweis
    1 Post

Re: SPSS 21 resets options, toolbars

‏2013-04-25T13:52:13Z  

This just happened to me for the first time; I have no idea what may have caused it, no known updates have been applied since we added the patch a few weeks ago.  SPSS acts as if I have just upgrade to v21, however, I checked and my version is 21.0.0.1 so my patch is still there so that's good. 

I am running 32-bit Windows 7 Professional and dont have the Python extension.

Did you ever discover anything else about this outside of this posting?

Thanks

• KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    4 Posts

‏2013-04-26T06:33:50Z  

I'm having exactly the same problem every time I kill an SPSS 21 process. If I then open SPSS 21 I've lost all my option settings and toolbar changes. Windows 7, 64-bit. Killing a process was not a problem in earlier versions. Jon, is there a file containing these settings which we can backup and restore?

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-04-26T14:47:39Z  

I'm having exactly the same problem every time I kill an SPSS 21 process. If I then open SPSS 21 I've lost all my option settings and toolbar changes. Windows 7, 64-bit. Killing a process was not a problem in earlier versions. Jon, is there a file containing these settings which we can backup and restore?

I don't see this behavior with V21, 64-bit Win7.  Have you installed FP1?

The settings are kept in the Window Registry, so they could be exported and restored, but I would start with the fixpack if you haven't already done that.

• KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    4 Posts

‏2013-04-29T03:00:58Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-04-26T14:47:39Z

The settings are kept in the Window Registry, so they could be exported and restored, but I would start with the fixpack if you haven't already done that.

FP1 was already installed. Where in the registry?

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-04-29T03:07:09Z  

FP1 was already installed. Where in the registry?

You might want to try occasionally using Window > Reset Dialogs and Positions.  That history can exceed the limit on a Registry entry and cause trouble sometimes if you have done a lot of dialog work, although I have only heard of that affection the dialog behavior.

If you want to go the Registry route, the entries for V21 will be at or near

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2065661871-858326956-638741381-1051\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0 0

The long number after HKEY_USERS may be different for you, but you should be able to navigate to the find the IBM SPSS part of the key.

• KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    4 Posts

‏2013-04-29T03:31:05Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-04-29T03:07:09Z

You might want to try occasionally using Window > Reset Dialogs and Positions.  That history can exceed the limit on a Registry entry and cause trouble sometimes if you have done a lot of dialog work, although I have only heard of that affection the dialog behavior.

If you want to go the Registry route, the entries for V21 will be at or near

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2065661871-858326956-638741381-1051\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0 0

The long number after HKEY_USERS may be different for you, but you should be able to navigate to the find the IBM SPSS part of the key.

Thanks Jon. Most of what I need to restore seems to be in

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2078795561-4233005657-3261906462-8927\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\core\set]

and

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2078795561-4233005657-3261906462-8927\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\toolbars\user1\items]

I've exported those.

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-10T12:07:49Z  

I am the original poster, although for some reason the name on my post is SystemAdmin now.

I just wanted to update and say that I did have the 21.0.0 update installed (as well as the Python extension) when the problem occurred.  I opened a service ticket, and they suggested I uninstall and reinstall SPSS (and the update), and also install a fresh version of Java, and change permissions on various registry entries and on the C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory (basically, they said that all users are supposed to have full permissions for that directory and certain registry entries).

I made the changes, but nothing fixed the issue.  Customer support asked me to wipe all SPSS-related entries from the registry and do another complete reinstall of SPSS.  I will update this thread with the results, when I know more.  The problem is intermittent, so I only know if the issue is fixed after a week or two of usage. 

Over time, the problem got worse and I actually started losing buttons altogether, in that the View-> Toolbars -> Customize... menus no longer listed the buttons I wanted.  If I logged into the computer as another (admin) user, the buttons were available, but the non-admin user could not see them.  Then, miraculously, the reset issue happened again and I got the default toolbars back.  That was nice.

I am also still having the problem without the python extension  (I didn't reinstall python after the reinstall). 

Also, the problem does not only happen when killing SPSS.  It also happens when I shut down SPSS normally, and then open it again.

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-05-10T13:03:56Z  

I am the original poster, although for some reason the name on my post is SystemAdmin now.

I just wanted to update and say that I did have the 21.0.0 update installed (as well as the Python extension) when the problem occurred.  I opened a service ticket, and they suggested I uninstall and reinstall SPSS (and the update), and also install a fresh version of Java, and change permissions on various registry entries and on the C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory (basically, they said that all users are supposed to have full permissions for that directory and certain registry entries).

I made the changes, but nothing fixed the issue.  Customer support asked me to wipe all SPSS-related entries from the registry and do another complete reinstall of SPSS.  I will update this thread with the results, when I know more.  The problem is intermittent, so I only know if the issue is fixed after a week or two of usage. 

Over time, the problem got worse and I actually started losing buttons altogether, in that the View-> Toolbars -> Customize... menus no longer listed the buttons I wanted.  If I logged into the computer as another (admin) user, the buttons were available, but the non-admin user could not see them.  Then, miraculously, the reset issue happened again and I got the default toolbars back.  That was nice.

I am also still having the problem without the python extension  (I didn't reinstall python after the reinstall). 

Also, the problem does not only happen when killing SPSS.  It also happens when I shut down SPSS normally, and then open it again.

1. The dW team is working on restoring the correct identity on older posts that were migrated from the old system.

2. You need, of course, read permission to the SPSS installation directory under Program Files, but write permission is NOT required and should not be related to this problem.  However, extensions and custom dialogs may be diverted to another area if the default locations are not writeable.  That wouldn't affect toolbars.  You do need write permission to the Registry area where custom toolbars, menus and dialog history is kept.

3. One thing to try is to use the Window > Reset Dialog Sizes and Positions menu item now and then.  The history, which is kept in the Registry, can grow too large over time.  This shouldn't really affect the adjacent Registry entries, but I have seen some similar menu malfunctions due to this.  I haven't seen that since the 21 fixpack, though.

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-10T14:54:28Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-10T13:03:56Z

1. The dW team is working on restoring the correct identity on older posts that were migrated from the old system.

2. You need, of course, read permission to the SPSS installation directory under Program Files, but write permission is NOT required and should not be related to this problem.  However, extensions and custom dialogs may be diverted to another area if the default locations are not writeable.  That wouldn't affect toolbars.  You do need write permission to the Registry area where custom toolbars, menus and dialog history is kept.

3. One thing to try is to use the Window > Reset Dialog Sizes and Positions menu item now and then.  The history, which is kept in the Registry, can grow too large over time.  This shouldn't really affect the adjacent Registry entries, but I have seen some similar menu malfunctions due to this.  I haven't seen that since the 21 fixpack, though.

OK, thanks for the information. 

The tech support was very clear that I should have not only write permission, but full permissions and special permissions for the  C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory.  I thought it was odd myself, but what do I know?  The IT initially just added write and modify permissions, but I was asked to go back and put in full permissions.

I will do the  Window > Reset Dialog Sizes and Positions every day from now on.  I do see a number of "history" items in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics.  There are about 16 items with names like "21.0 1364406678313", which do seem to contain the user-defined toolbars I create after each reset.  Over the weekend we will be deleting all items from the registry and doing a complete reinstall again, according to customer support's instructions.

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-05-10T17:51:24Z  

OK, thanks for the information. 

The tech support was very clear that I should have not only write permission, but full permissions and special permissions for the  C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory.  I thought it was odd myself, but what do I know?  The IT initially just added write and modify permissions, but I was asked to go back and put in full permissions.

I will do the  Window > Reset Dialog Sizes and Positions every day from now on.  I do see a number of "history" items in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics.  There are about 16 items with names like "21.0 1364406678313", which do seem to contain the user-defined toolbars I create after each reset.  Over the weekend we will be deleting all items from the registry and doing a complete reinstall again, according to customer support's instructions.

Perhaps the rep meant installation time write access, but once installed, read access to the installation directory is all you need.

• DFutrell62
    DFutrell62
    1 Post

‏2013-05-13T14:36:16Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-04-26T14:47:39Z

Jon, 

I've been suffering from the same problem. My toolbar (not customized), simply disappeared one day. I wanted to restore to defaults, but couldn't figure out how, so I created a custom toolbar. This worked fairly well, then today THAT disappeared. I have SPSS 21.0 with the FixPack. Python Extension is also installed. 

I re-installed the fixpack this morning and that accomplished nothing. I'd rather not have to reinstall SPSS and go through all the licensing nonsense unless it's absolutely necessary and I'm sure it will fix it.

I appreciate your help! 

David Futrell

Eli Lilly and Company

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-20T12:39:10Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-10T17:51:24Z

Perhaps the rep meant installation time write access, but once installed, read access to the installation directory is all you need.

That's not what he meant.  He meant what I said before, which is to change permissions on the C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory after the install.  I can give you the PMR # if you want to read it for yourself, or paste the text here.

The C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory is deleted before reinstall, then I reinstall with an admin user, and then go in and change permissions on this directory for the non-admin user.  Just modify permissions are not enough.

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-05-20T12:51:34Z  

That's not what he meant.  He meant what I said before, which is to change permissions on the C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory after the install.  I can give you the PMR # if you want to read it for yourself, or paste the text here.

The C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics directory is deleted before reinstall, then I reinstall with an admin user, and then go in and change permissions on this directory for the non-admin user.  Just modify permissions are not enough.

Please provide the PMR.  This advice is completely wrong, and I want to track down the source and get this fixed.

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-20T12:53:32Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-20T12:51:34Z

Please provide the PMR.  This advice is completely wrong, and I want to track down the source and get this fixed.

Service request number 13102 082 000

Thanks for your help. 

Also, the PMR is very long now, so the relevant date is 4/24/2013 (my update after reinstall & IBM reply).  Prior to the reinstall I was told verbally by IBM to change the permissions on the SPSS/Statistics directory, then our IT didn't want to do full permissions because they thought read and write access should be enough, and I updated the bug to say I did read & write only, not full permissions, and IBM replied that I needed to do full permissions (which I did).

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-20T20:54:13Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-20T12:51:34Z

I talked to IBM today (via email) and they think the problem is my registry permissions and they are planning to close the bug.  I need to talk to my local IT to fix the problem, which they are sure is an issue with our machine configuration.

Apparently the registry seems OK 5 minutes after I reinstalled SPSS, so the problem is not SPSS.  They had me test that the temporary 21.0 XXXX registry entries are created if I edit options, but go away when exit SPSS.  This did happen, which means the problem is "fixed".

I told them we are having the problem on 3 machines.  According to IBM tech support, I am supposed to open a new ticket for each of the 2 other machines.  This one machine is apparently resolved now, but I ought toopen new service requests for the 2 other machines that are having the exact same issue.

Oh, and I need to make sure that all the users have full permissions to the Statistics directory on the other machines.

Apparently my problem is solved now.

• Eddie@work
    Eddie@work
    1 Post

‏2013-05-24T08:20:10Z  

I talked to IBM today (via email) and they think the problem is my registry permissions and they are planning to close the bug.  I need to talk to my local IT to fix the problem, which they are sure is an issue with our machine configuration.

Apparently the registry seems OK 5 minutes after I reinstalled SPSS, so the problem is not SPSS.  They had me test that the temporary 21.0 XXXX registry entries are created if I edit options, but go away when exit SPSS.  This did happen, which means the problem is "fixed".

I told them we are having the problem on 3 machines.  According to IBM tech support, I am supposed to open a new ticket for each of the 2 other machines.  This one machine is apparently resolved now, but I ought toopen new service requests for the 2 other machines that are having the exact same issue.

Oh, and I need to make sure that all the users have full permissions to the Statistics directory on the other machines.

Apparently my problem is solved now.

Hello all!
    Well, I have customers here in Germany and abroad, who are experiencing the same issue. Toolbar missing, and even menu windows empty. I thought first, this was an installation issue, lack of permissions or something similar. But that is not the case. So from my experience I must say, that this problem is due to a conflict with some other software installed on the concerned computers.
    I also thought that there might be an incomplete/faulty download of the installation package for SPSS 21.0.0.0, but now I got convinced, that this is not the case, since the setup works alright in many places.

So we have to collect data from the concerned customers about the hardware they are using, and especially about the installes programs on their PCs. I am going to ask for this information from my customers and try to keep you posted, when I have any news. For starters msinfo32 should do (on 32 bit systems).

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-05-24T14:13:31Z  

Hello all!
    Well, I have customers here in Germany and abroad, who are experiencing the same issue. Toolbar missing, and even menu windows empty. I thought first, this was an installation issue, lack of permissions or something similar. But that is not the case. So from my experience I must say, that this problem is due to a conflict with some other software installed on the concerned computers.
    I also thought that there might be an incomplete/faulty download of the installation package for SPSS 21.0.0.0, but now I got convinced, that this is not the case, since the setup works alright in many places.

So we have to collect data from the concerned customers about the hardware they are using, and especially about the installes programs on their PCs. I am going to ask for this information from my customers and try to keep you posted, when I have any news. For starters msinfo32 should do (on 32 bit systems).

I spoke to IBM again.  There is no fix at this time, but the workaround is to make a copy of the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0 and to reapply these settings when necessary. 

They did mention that the fact that we run as domain users may be a factor.  I run as a domain user with a local home directory.  They wanted me to consider making a local user and using SPSS to test this, but unfortunately I rely a lot on shared drives that require the domain user permissions so I am not sure this is feasible for me.

Prior to this, I reinstalled SPSS over and over to test things. None of that made any difference at all, and it took A LOT of time.  So far uninstalling and reinstalling is just a time sink but doesn't help.

I don't have a whole lot installed on this computer other than MS office and SPSS.  I guess there is antivirus etc. set up by the admins.  2 of the 3 machines that are having the problem were fresh out of the box, and we really only had Office and SPSS on them.  So I'm not sure that there is a conflict with other software, unless it's Kaseya antivirus somehow, or MS office.

• KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    KCCP_Simon_Freidin
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-02T01:21:59Z  

Hi Jon

Where in the registry would I find the syntax_editor font setting?

cheers

Simon

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    269 Posts

‏2013-09-02T13:27:04Z  

Hi Jon

Where in the registry would I find the syntax_editor font setting?

cheers

Simon

try HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2065661871-858326956-638741381-1051\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\doc_types\syntax

(might be 21, not 21.0).  This gets updated when Statistics is closed.

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-10-02T14:39:19Z  

As an update to this bug, IBM sent me a patch for the issue, which worked OK for a few months, but I have had a recurrence of the problem again.  It seems that the patch helps, but does not entirely prevent the reset. 

The workaround for this issue is to save your registry once you have set your options and toolbars as you like them.  Then, when the reset occurs, reload the registry. To do this, open regedit (type "regedit" at the command prompt), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics, right click and select "Export".  Then, if the reset occurs you use the File menu to import the backup registry.

• mbaumstark
    mbaumstark
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-22T16:49:56Z  

As an update to this bug, IBM sent me a patch for the issue, which worked OK for a few months, but I have had a recurrence of the problem again.  It seems that the patch helps, but does not entirely prevent the reset. 

The workaround for this issue is to save your registry once you have set your options and toolbars as you like them.  Then, when the reset occurs, reload the registry. To do this, open regedit (type "regedit" at the command prompt), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics, right click and select "Export".  Then, if the reset occurs you use the File menu to import the backup registry.

Two of my users had the same problem, both after working with SPSS 18 output files.... Hmm?

For me the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\toolbars] exported from an working PC solved the problem. It is a relatively small file and does not contain user or PC specific information. It is language specific, however...

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-10-22T18:28:53Z  

Two of my users had the same problem, both after working with SPSS 18 output files.... Hmm?

For me the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\toolbars] exported from an working PC solved the problem. It is a relatively small file and does not contain user or PC specific information. It is language specific, however...

I am not totally sure, but I think backing up only ...21.0\ui\toolbars  will not help with the options reset.  Not only are toolbars lost, but all options (under Edit-> Options...) are reset when the problem occurs.  Not sure if that matters to you?  The options have your settings for table formats, default file locations, etc.

I am sure there is another smaller directory that contains the options if you wanted to also back up those, probably HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\options

• mbaumstark
    mbaumstark
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-22T18:57:13Z  

I am not totally sure, but I think backing up only ...21.0\ui\toolbars  will not help with the options reset.  Not only are toolbars lost, but all options (under Edit-> Options...) are reset when the problem occurs.  Not sure if that matters to you?  The options have your settings for table formats, default file locations, etc.

I am sure there is another smaller directory that contains the options if you wanted to also back up those, probably HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\ibm\/S/P/S/S\/Statistics\21.0\ui\options

Thanks for this info. What exactly happens to the options? Are they reset to the default, or messed up in some other way?

If they are reset to default it should be ok for my users.

Anyway, it is good to have a backup of the options also...

• ValerieRoch
    ValerieRoch
    20 Posts

‏2013-10-22T19:30:17Z  

Thanks for this info. What exactly happens to the options? Are they reset to the default, or messed up in some other way?

If they are reset to default it should be ok for my users.

Anyway, it is good to have a backup of the options also...

The options have always been reset to the defaults for me. 

One thing that I have to look out for, since I work with large files, is that the temporary file directory is set to the right path.  I need space for SPSS to use for sorts of large data files.  This is under "File Locations" in the options.