Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-04T20:21:23Z by SystemAdmin
barsa4ever
barsa4ever
100 Posts

Pinned topic Timer Intermediate Event (with interrupt) and task post assignments bug?

‏2013-04-04T14:51:35Z |
Am i missing something?
BPM 7.5.
I created a user task with post-assignment. And attached timer to it with checked "interrupt activity".
So if user completed this task before timer triggers — post-assignment of task works just fine.
But if timer triggers first — task is completed, but post assignment of this task is not performing.

So what's the reason for such a strange behavior of BPM?
Updated on 2013-04-04T20:21:23Z at 2013-04-04T20:21:23Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

Re: Timer Intermediate Event (with interrupt) and task post assignments bug?

‏2013-04-04T15:01:51Z  
    That behavior is what I'd expect. The post of an activity would run if the activity completed, but I wouldn't expect it to execute if the task was interrupted or otherwise closed. (It also wouldn't run if the BPD was terminated, for example.)

I suppose it could be debated, but I feel that this is "works as designed". And it's also the way I would want it: if I were interrupting the activity, I would probably want different things to happen than if I completed the activity normally.

Any reason you wouldn't add your post to the timer itself as well?

David
  • barsa4ever
    barsa4ever
    100 Posts

‏2013-04-04T15:09:57Z  
    That behavior is what I'd expect. The post of an activity would run if the activity completed, but I wouldn't expect it to execute if the task was interrupted or otherwise closed. (It also wouldn't run if the BPD was terminated, for example.)

I suppose it could be debated, but I feel that this is "works as designed". And it's also the way I would want it: if I were interrupting the activity, I would probably want different things to happen than if I completed the activity normally.

Any reason you wouldn't add your post to the timer itself as well?

David
    No reason. It's just curiousity. :)
    Firstly, I expected, that «interrupt activity» is the same to «finish task» in rest api. But rest-call closes task with post assignments.
    And I looked to bpm db and couldn't see any difference between normally closed task and task closed by timer.

So basically I have no idea how to implement timer functionality without timer. And I'm wondering how can I achieve that — closing task ignoring all services in it, that aren't performed and without post assignments.

It's just simple curiosity, still nothing more.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-04-04T20:21:23Z  
    No reason. It's just curiousity. :)
    Firstly, I expected, that «interrupt activity» is the same to «finish task» in rest api. But rest-call closes task with post assignments.
    And I looked to bpm db and couldn't see any difference between normally closed task and task closed by timer.

So basically I have no idea how to implement timer functionality without timer. And I'm wondering how can I achieve that — closing task ignoring all services in it, that aren't performed and without post assignments.

It's just simple curiosity, still nothing more.
    But they are not quite the same right? Interrupt activity - the token follows the line from the event. Finish task - the token follows the line from the activity. So Finish activity is just like what happens if the user actually completes the task. I think there is a rest API call for "fire timer" (could be wrong). That would behave like the timer does when the timer fires.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com