7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-05T08:42:34Z by edling
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BPM 8 Process Portal and browser compatibility issue

‏2013-04-04T09:54:41Z |
Hello,
We are planning to use BPM v8.x, however have been told that in order to get the v8 Process Portal & Coach Views to work properly, minimum browser requirement is IE8.

This is a problem for us as we currently have IE6 in the enterprise and to upgrade it to IE8 can be a big project on its own and can rule out the use of IBM BPM product - alternative Oracle may be next in consideration.
So, here I am asking for any suggestions/work arounds as we would prefer to use IBM BPM.
Here are the options I've thought of, please suggest which is achievable else suggest any other work around (if any):
1) Can v8 process portal with Heritage Coaches work on IE6?
2) Can v7.x Process Portal with Heritage Coaches work on IE6?
3) Can v7.x Process portal be used with IBM BPM v8.x? and thus on IE6?

Functionality wise we are not looking for any advanced features like Collaboration and other fancy stuff offered by the v8 Process portal.

Look forward for your valuable suggestions.
Thanks
Updated on 2013-04-05T08:42:34Z at 2013-04-05T08:42:34Z by edling
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BPM 8 Process Portal and browser compatibility issue

‏2013-04-04T14:19:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Neil may have a better answer for you because I know he's been thinking about browser compatibility these days. But I can make some quick answers for you.

First of all, IE 6 isn't even supported by Microsoft anymore. It's 11 years old absolutely ancient. And, frankly, it was a horrible, horrible browser even in its day. I'm a bit stunned that you still have it as your corporate browser. In any case, because of that fact (that Microsoft doesn't support it.) If you can at all help it, raise some of these issues up and get yourself on a modern browser. (IE8 doesn't really count as a modern browser either, it is over four years old too.)

This is going to apply to competitors too. I just checked Oracle's latest compatibility matrix and they support IE6 only for a small subset of their products (and BPM is not one of them).

I am fairly sure that 7.2 might have been that last version to officially support IE6. So, if you need something that has been tested with IE6 and is officially supported, that may be your only choice. (Although without Microsoft supporting IE6 that may be of limited benefit, I'm not sure if IBM will have anyone in support who still has IE 6 around.)

With that said, if you are willing to forgo officially supported status, I'd bet that legacy coaches would probably work fine. They are largely table based for layout and don't do anything fancy for layout. (The admin screens are more sophisticated and I seem to recall them having issues with old browsers.) Test for yourself, but I bet they would work.

So, your answer to #1, is probably. It wouldn't be supported, but it would probably work.
    The answer to #2 is the same. I'm almost certain that IE6 isn't on the supported list, but would probably work.
    The answer to #3 is no. You can't mix and match different versions of components in IBM BPM. The portal is a core part of the product.

David
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T14:23:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      My writing even worse than usual. Where I said "In any case, because of that fact (that Microsoft doesn't support it.)" I meant something along the lines of "the reason it probably isn't supported by IBM is that Microsoft wouldn't provide any support if a defect was found in the browser itself and because IBM likely doesn't have a copy of IE to test with any more.".

Sorry you are stuck with that browser. That was terrible software, even by Microsoft's standards.

David
    • huangjd
      huangjd
      46 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T14:49:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I'll just add that IE8 is suppose to be officially supported by IBM but many of the OOB functionality still breaks in IE8. Specifically:

• Dynamic Tables in general. Clunky and ugly due to bad javascript rendering
      • Validation of drop down lists
      • Validation of anything in a dynamic table
      • Coaches with "too much" data on it. Meaning any complex coach with heavy data loads break because IE runs out of memory.
      IBM's response to our concerns has been "use Chrome".
      • File upload into the stream sometimes breaks
      • Process Portal tasks turn "read only" in certain circumstances
      • Multiple "tasks created" in process portal notifications pop up.

So, I would never recommend anyone to ever use IE6, for anything.
      I wouldn't recommend using IE8 in BPM 8.0 or 8.0.1. Or 8.0.1.1.

Sorry for the horrible post, but we're getting burned by IE8 and IBM has been poor to respond.

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting | http://bpmandyou.wordpress.com/
      • kolban
        kolban
        3314 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T15:22:18Z  in response to huangjd
        Jonathan,
        All things being equal, what is the minimum Internet Explorer browser level that you would want IBM BPM to support?

o IE 8
        o IE 9
        o IE 10

Neil
        • huangjd
          huangjd
          46 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T15:58:12Z  in response to kolban
          In a perfect world IE8 should function correctly because it's a fairly mainstream browser that many companies support and one that IBM says BPM supports. But due to the complex nature of dojo and the BPM widgets some additional support needs to be built in to support these complex features in IE8 and the fixes need to come from IBM.

What I don't want to do is to build in work arounds for the issues we have. Then when we upgrade to 8.0.1.x, the workarounds break or cause rework because the upgrade fixed what ailes us.

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting | http://bpmandyou.wordpress.com/
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            7615 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T16:27:40Z  in response to huangjd
            Thanks David, Jonathan & Neil,
            Really appreciate your feedback and comments based on your experience.
            It is really a shame that BPM is such a good product but let you down in terms of user interface. I mean you have a choice at the coach level (heritage /Coach View) but at the Process Portal level you are stuck.

I agree that IE6 is not the best browser and must be upgraded however I hope you agree that (unfortunately) in bigger corporates such small and trivial things can be a mammoth task.

I am also concerned in proposing an upgrade from IE6 to IE8 after reading Jonathan's comments as I get, it is still not 100% guaranteed to work as expected.

Thanks a lot gents once again , let me see what else could be done in this regards, the other option that comes to my mind is to externalise the human activity interface using 'external activities' to something like Websphere Portal etc. However the problem still persists with the Process Portal Usage.

Please do let me know if you can think of any alternative to this problem.
            Cheers
            • edling
              edling
              256 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-05T08:42:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              The version ties between Windows and IE are a big pain. In my corporation I have successfully done lobbying to offer installation of a modern, less OS-dependent browser in parallel to the default IE (we settled for Chrome, but only approved applications may choose to support Chrome instead of IE with compatibility view).

Still, don't blame IBM, but yourselves. Period.