Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-05T14:45:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic MPG with HTTP(S) FSH - Concurrent Connections

‏2013-04-03T01:44:58Z |
We are are having an multi protocol gateway, with an HTTPS Front Side Handler and an dynamic MQ Back Side Handler. We are observing that the MPG is not able to process more than 2 concurrent requests at a time. I dont see any configuration to set or increase the concurrent connections at the HTTPS FSH or at MPG level.

We did some tests under load conditions and from all the tests we see that datapower is not able to process more than 2 requests at time.

Theoritically datapower should be able to serve concurrent HTTP requests. We don't have have any threshold limits defined either using message count monitors or SLM policy.

Any thoughts on what we are missing?
Updated on 2013-04-05T14:45:41Z at 2013-04-05T14:45:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1395 Posts

Re: MPG with HTTP(S) FSH - Concurrent Connections

‏2013-04-03T18:38:08Z  
    Concurrency is not the issue, I've had services with hundreds of transactions per second being serviced with no issue. Perhaps the issue is on the MQ put side, what do your connections look like in your DP Queue Manager object?

Regards,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-04-04T12:11:07Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2013-04-03T18:38:08Z
    Concurrency is not the issue, I've had services with hundreds of transactions per second being serviced with no issue. Perhaps the issue is on the MQ put side, what do your connections look like in your DP Queue Manager object?

Regards,
    Steve
    Hello Steve,

DP Queue Manager object is good with 250 connection and 50 initial connections. As you pointed in your note, it an issue with MQ Put side.

When we define the mq url as: dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY

DataPower is going to single thread model. DataPower drops a message to the REQUEST queue and waits for an response before it proceeds with next request. In our case, the backend takes some time to respond and we can clearly see that only one request goes into the queue at a time.

I changed the mq url to use AsyncPut, like: dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;;AsyncPut=true

With this option, datapower puts all incoming requests to the queue.

We are trying to do a synchronous integration with MQ here and expecting datapower make muliple connections to queue to drop messages. I am still puzzled on why datapower is going in single threaded model while dropping messages to queue, unless we use AsyncPut option. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    VB
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1395 Posts

‏2013-04-04T13:28:05Z  
    Hello Steve,

DP Queue Manager object is good with 250 connection and 50 initial connections. As you pointed in your note, it an issue with MQ Put side.

When we define the mq url as: dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY

DataPower is going to single thread model. DataPower drops a message to the REQUEST queue and waits for an response before it proceeds with next request. In our case, the backend takes some time to respond and we can clearly see that only one request goes into the queue at a time.

I changed the mq url to use AsyncPut, like: dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;;AsyncPut=true

With this option, datapower puts all incoming requests to the queue.

We are trying to do a synchronous integration with MQ here and expecting datapower make muliple connections to queue to drop messages. I am still puzzled on why datapower is going in single threaded model while dropping messages to queue, unless we use AsyncPut option. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    VB
    Hi VB,
    I have to believe this has something to do with the MQ configuration, not DataPower. I've had numerous MQ customers I've worked with and have not had this type of backend concurrency issue. I pinged a contact of mine in DP support and from that comes the following questions:

1) if you are using MQ V7, the channel has two parameters: MAXINST & MAXINSTC. If MAXINSTC = 2 or lower number, it will restrict connection to that many from that client
    2) if you have multiple mq-qm object using the same channel, maybe that is playing some role in this behavior

Can you confirm if either of these are in play?

Regards,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-04-05T01:29:08Z  
    I haven't come across this issue till now. When I want to communicate in sync with MQ I use url like below. May be by adding another query parameter in url helps you..

dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;SetReplyTo=true
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-04-05T02:14:37Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2013-04-04T13:28:05Z
    Hi VB,
    I have to believe this has something to do with the MQ configuration, not DataPower. I've had numerous MQ customers I've worked with and have not had this type of backend concurrency issue. I pinged a contact of mine in DP support and from that comes the following questions:

1) if you are using MQ V7, the channel has two parameters: MAXINST & MAXINSTC. If MAXINSTC = 2 or lower number, it will restrict connection to that many from that client
    2) if you have multiple mq-qm object using the same channel, maybe that is playing some role in this behavior

Can you confirm if either of these are in play?

Regards,
    Steve
    Steve,

>> if you are using MQ V7, the channel has two parameters: MAXINST & MAXINSTC. If MAXINSTC = 2 or lower number, it will restrict connection to that many from that client
    We are using MQ V7, Both MAXINST and MAXINSTC on the server connection channel are having the default value of "999999999".

After we added "AsyncPut=true" to the MQ URL we see that concurrent requests are getting into the queue and waiting on the back end process to consume and process the requests.

>> if you have multiple mq-qm object using the same channel, maybe that is playing some role in this behavior
    We are only having one mq-qm object on the server connection channel.

Regards,
    VB
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-04-05T02:15:39Z  
    I haven't come across this issue till now. When I want to communicate in sync with MQ I use url like below. May be by adding another query parameter in url helps you..

dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;SetReplyTo=true
    myesb,

>> dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;SetReplyTo=true
    We tried with this initially and this didnt work to come out of the concurrency issue. We ended up using

dpmq://QMGR/?RequestQueue=REQUEST;ReplyQueue=REPLY;AsyncPut=true

Regards,
    VB
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1395 Posts

‏2013-04-05T14:26:29Z  
    Steve,

>> if you are using MQ V7, the channel has two parameters: MAXINST & MAXINSTC. If MAXINSTC = 2 or lower number, it will restrict connection to that many from that client
    We are using MQ V7, Both MAXINST and MAXINSTC on the server connection channel are having the default value of "999999999".

After we added "AsyncPut=true" to the MQ URL we see that concurrent requests are getting into the queue and waiting on the back end process to consume and process the requests.

>> if you have multiple mq-qm object using the same channel, maybe that is playing some role in this behavior
    We are only having one mq-qm object on the server connection channel.

Regards,
    VB
    Hi VB,
    This sounds strange for sure. What firmeware version are you using??

I would suggest you open a PMR with IBM support. If you could provide your service and MQ configuration they could attempt to recreate your behavior in the lab.

Best Regards,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-04-05T14:45:41Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2013-04-05T14:26:29Z
    Hi VB,
    This sounds strange for sure. What firmeware version are you using??

I would suggest you open a PMR with IBM support. If you could provide your service and MQ configuration they could attempt to recreate your behavior in the lab.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

We are on this firmware:

Firmware:XI50.5.0.0.0
    Build:214635

We will raise a PMR with IBM. Thanks for all your inputs.

Regards,
    VB