• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-28T20:10:42Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1250 Posts

Pinned topic Network File Share

‏2013-03-27T20:09:59Z |
Hello everyone,
I am new to Cast Iron and I have been tasked with moving a file from one ftp server to another, simple enough except before uploading to the second ftp I need to run a proprietary encryption software on the file. I created a web service that can be invoked to do this task but the issue I have run into is I need to store these files on a file share while they are encrypted then pick them back up to upload to the ftp. Is there anyway to this in Cast Iron?
Updated on 2013-03-28T20:10:42Z at 2013-03-28T20:10:42Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Re: Network File Share

‏2013-03-28T13:45:44Z  
    You could configure your FTP server to have a virtual folder that points to this file share, and use Cast Iron's FTP activities to store and retrieve the file. If the files are not that large, you may also consider passing them in the payload of the Web service that does the encryption, and return the encrypted file in the service response.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-03-28T16:37:09Z  
    You could configure your FTP server to have a virtual folder that points to this file share, and use Cast Iron's FTP activities to store and retrieve the file. If the files are not that large, you may also consider passing them in the payload of the Web service that does the encryption, and return the encrypted file in the service response.
    Are you saying I can not access a file system directly? What you suggested is not possible for my situation, my web service is actually wrapping an executable and editing an ini file that tells it where to get and drop the files to be encrypted, unfortunately that the only way I can get the encryption software working. I can probably set up an internal ftp on the same server my service runs on if that is the only way to get around this issue.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-03-28T20:02:12Z  
    Are you saying I can not access a file system directly? What you suggested is not possible for my situation, my web service is actually wrapping an executable and editing an ini file that tells it where to get and drop the files to be encrypted, unfortunately that the only way I can get the encryption software working. I can probably set up an internal ftp on the same server my service runs on if that is the only way to get around this issue.
    That's correct. To my knowledge, Cast Iron doesn't have a connector whose activities will access a file system "directly" (via SMB/CIFS). Your path of least resistance here is likely the FTP route. A custom Web service that has methods for: 1) accepting an unencrypted file from Cast Iron and 2) serving the encrypted file back to Cast Iron is another route, but requires code of course. Enabling WebDAV instead of FTP could be another option I suppose, if FTP isn't desirable, with files being exchanged using HTTP activities.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-03-28T20:10:42Z  
    That's correct. To my knowledge, Cast Iron doesn't have a connector whose activities will access a file system "directly" (via SMB/CIFS). Your path of least resistance here is likely the FTP route. A custom Web service that has methods for: 1) accepting an unencrypted file from Cast Iron and 2) serving the encrypted file back to Cast Iron is another route, but requires code of course. Enabling WebDAV instead of FTP could be another option I suppose, if FTP isn't desirable, with files being exchanged using HTTP activities.
    Okay thanks, it looks like Cast Iron may not be the right tool for this job, I will probably try SSIS for this task.