Here is the situation: The client currently have one CC VOB/View/registry/license server at the master site, and a replica at the off-site just for DR purpose, both are Windows 2008 servers.
What they want is: set up CC v8.0 at another two new servers and migrate the VOBs over.
So I think this job is almost like moving VOBs between servers as described in this link: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_admin.doc/topics/t_mvvob_win_indomain.htm
This is the procedure I am thinking, will this work?
1. Install CC v8 with multi-site on these two new servers, use the master server as the new VOB/View/register/license server.
2. Copy the VOBs from v7 master server to v8 master server, re-register.
3. Copy the VOBs from v7 replica server to v8 replica server, re-register.
4. Change both replica's host name by running "multitool chreplica –host" on both master and replica servers to replace the old v7 server names with v8 server names, as described in this link: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_ms_admin.doc/c_moving_vob_replica.htm
There are 3715 views created on the same v7 server. There are only 60~70 users so I am sure a lot of views are not in use. What's the best way to deal with it? Move them to the new v8 server? As described here: https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v7r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_admin.doc/topics/t_viewadm_mv_1arch.htm
Pinned topic Procedure to migrate CC v7.1 to v8.0 with Multisite
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2013-04-01T14:02:53Z at 2013-04-01T14:02:53Z by JirongHu
Dave-Robinson 120000EW20116 Posts
Re: Procedure to migrate CC v7.1 to v8.0 with Multisite2013-04-01T03:48:22ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Hello Jirong,
The procedure here is slightly different from the one you posted int the "ClearCase 8.0" thread (I am glad you have created a specific thread.)
The procedure here is viable also.
Again you must make sure the VOBs are locked off appropriately so that "oplog divergence" is not introduced by the procedure
(That is, same oplog id generated by both the old and new master servers)
With regard to step 4, maybe you are assuming that both replicas are "self-mastering". The chreplica command needs to be run against both replica objects; it needs to be run while accessing the replica that masters the object.
I would think this is a good opportunity to get rid of redundant views.
Run "cleartool lsview -properties" to get 3 dates associated with each view:
Last modified ...
Last accessed ...
and negotiate with your user community about cut-off dates for views that shall not get migrated.
JirongHu 100000D3YX681 Posts
Re: Procedure to migrate CC v7.1 to v8.0 with Multisite2013-04-01T14:02:53ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- Dave-Robinson 120000EW20
1. The total VOBs size is 500G, and I don't want to interrupt the current development at my testing stage. So I will restore the VOB storage directory from a full backup on to the new v8 servers, both for the master site and replica site, at the same time. Assume the VOBs are locked during the backup.
2. With regard to step 4, since our multisite is only for DR purpose, there is no development at the replica site. All VOBs are mastered at the master site. In this case, what shall I do after these VOBs are restored to these two servers, master and replica? First, I run chreplica on the master site to change the host from old v7 server to the new v8 server. What shall I do with the VOBs restored on the replica server?