Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-26T15:47:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
270 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Missing com.ibm.cics.server when creating hello examples under Juno

‏2013-03-26T12:50:34Z |
Hi,

Using a new install of eclipse 4.2 (Juno) and then installing the CICS Explorer 5.1 plugins (IBM CICS Explorer and IBM CICS Tools) from the http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/updates/portfolio/5.1/5.1.0/ software site, the hello sample (File > New > Example > CICS Examples > Java > CICS Hello Examples) is generated but missing the com.ibm.cics.server.* package.

The MANIFEST.MF has a dependency of com.ibm.cics.server http://1.0.0,2.0.0 but I don’t see it under the project's “Plug-in Dependencies” location under the eclipse Project Explorer.

This is working fine under eclipse Helios and CICS Explorer 4.2.

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-03-26T15:47:51Z at 2013-03-26T15:47:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Missing com.ibm.cics.server when creating hello examples under Juno

‏2013-03-26T12:56:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi there,

We are unable to support Juno at CICS Explorer 5.1 level. You might find that some of it works but there are definitely a number of issues.

As you say, Helios is a supported platform (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/explorer/requirements/), and we were able to introduce support for Indigo (3.7.2) with CICS Explorer 5.1

If you were to having similar issues running under Helios, I would start by investigating the target platform you've got set up in your preferences.

Dave
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      270 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T12:59:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Okay. I don't want to interfere with my Helios install as that is working fine. I'll go ahead with Indigo. Thanks.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      270 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T14:44:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

I am running into the same problem with the CICS Explorer 5.1 plugin under Indigo. I'm using this site: http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/updates/portfolio/5.1/5.1.0/ to obtain the CICS plugin.

I've configured Indigo to use Java 7. Should I be using Java 6?

Thanks.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        270 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T14:49:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hey,

I think your target platform might not be set up: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v5r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.cics.ts.java.doc%2Ftopics%2Fdeveloping_sdk.html

Java 7 should work OK!

Dave
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          270 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T15:23:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi,

That took care of it. It also took care of it under Juno but as you said, Juno is not supported so I will stay with Indigo for CICS Explorer 5.1.

I didn't have to set the target platform for the CICS Explorer 4.2 under Helios, but just checked and it's there.

I've been using the 'CICS Transaction Server for z/OS Java Applications in CICS V5R1 (SC34-2860-00)' pdf and don't see any mention of setting the target platform (but may have missed it).

If I create a non-CICS Java project under eclipse, will I need to readjust the target platform back to its original setting?

Thanks for your help.

Randy
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            270 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T15:38:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hey,

Glad it worked. For CICS Explorer 1.1.1, you are right that you didn't have to set the target platform - all of the target platform plugins were available by default. This was incorrect however - you could end up coding to an API that's not available on the server.

Using the target platform correctly gives a much better guarantee that the code you write will use only APIs that will be available on the CICS server.

In that doc I think there are instructions on page 52 but perhaps that chapter should have come before the one about examples. I'll see if I can find the maintainer of that doc.

Thanks again,

Dave
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              270 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T15:47:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi,

Moving the information on page 52 to 35 (or so) makes sense because that's where (I think) most newbies to the CICS Explorer will start, with the samples.

Thanks again. You've been very helpful.

Randy