Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-01-30T18:16:05Z by giovannifcrosta
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6902 Posts

Pinned topic Keep getting “The DT Messaging System could not be started” error message

‏2013-03-25T20:02:21Z |
Hi,

I am a farily new AIX user. I have one IBM RS6000 machine with AIX 4.3.3 installed on it. Everytime I log in as root (the only account we currently have setup), I get the following error message:
“The DT messaging system could not be started
To correct the problem:
1. Choose ok to return to the login screen
2. Select Failsave session from the login screen's option menu and login.
3. Check to see that the hostname is correct in:
/etc/hosts
Other hostname problems can be corrected by using the command:
smit mktcpip
4. For additional info, see the DT User's Guide."

I logged into a failsafe session and then changed the hostname and IP Address. I then typed in "smit mktcpip" and chose "eno Standard Ethernet Network Interface" from the available network interfaces. I changed the hostname and IP Address to match the values I put into the /etc/hosts file. I then clicked the "OK" button and it says "success". I exited out of the failsafe mode and logged back in as root in normal mode. The same “The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message appeared. I did a Google search and found someone else was getting this message and the reason was because a filesystem had become full. I logged into the failsafe mode (the only place I can log in) and issued the "df" command. This showed that no filesystem was even close to being full. There are two NFS mounted systems that are each approximately 90% full but this would not be the cause of the problem.

1) If I changed the hostname and IP Address in the /etc/hosts file is there anywhere else I need to change them (besides with smit) so that they propogate through the system? I want to make sure that my changing the hostname and IP Address did not make the situation worse.

2) If the answer to the above is no and none of the filesystems are full, what else could cause the "The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message to continually appear every time I try to log into this system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Updated on 2013-04-01T14:26:38Z at 2013-04-01T14:26:38Z by SystemAdmin
  • nagger
    nagger
    342 Posts

Re: Keep getting “The DT Messaging System could not be started” error message

‏2013-03-25T22:59:06Z  
    Hi,
    I think the "DT" is the desktop and it is assuming you have a graphics card and it can't get the graphical X Windows working.

You don't state how you are logging in.
    Is there anything in the /etc/environment about DT or in the root users .profile?

Try creating an alternative user - that might not make assumptions about the graphics.

Best of luck with your ancient historic AIX version I assume you work in a computing museum of some sort :-)
    cheers, Nigel Griffiths
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2013-03-26T19:32:39Z  
    Hi Nigel,

Thanks for replying. We do have alot of old computers here and that is a running joke about putting them in a museum.

I am logging in directly into the machine through the CDE (Common Desktop Environment). I looked in /etc/environment and searched for "DT" but this returned no results. The root user does not appear to have a .profile or .login file. The root user does have a .dtprofile file but everything in this file is commented out. I looked in /.dt/errorlog and found the following 2 entries:
    "dtsession: Unable to start message server -- exiting"
    “Workspace Manager: I/O error on display:: : 0.0”

I then created a brand new user called test1. I attempted to login as this new user in the CDE but got the same “The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message. I looked in /home/test1/.dt/errorlog. The following 3 lines were listed:
    “dtsession: Unable to exec /usr/dt/install/oldrules/dtrmrules.driver. ENOENT (2) A file or directory in the pathname does not exist.”

I did confirm that the file dtrmrules.driver does not exist though I am not exactly sure what this "driver" file is.
    I did some Google searches on the error messages I got and found replies where some people said it was caused by a filesystem being full which I confirmed is not true by using the "df -k" command.

Most of the replies said that CDE (Common Desktop Environment) issued are caused by network configuration.
    I know I am having network issues on this machine because:
    (a) I cannot ping this machine by the IP Address I gave it
    (b) when I issued the "df -k" command it said "NFS Server not responding still trying"

I guess I will refer back to my first question from my original post:

1) If I changed the hostname and IP Address in the /etc/hosts file is there anywhere else I need to change them (besides with smit) so that they propogate through the system? I am hoping that once I get the networking services configured correctly on this machine that the “The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message will stop appearing when I attempt to login into the Common Desktop Environment as any user.

NOTE: I also cannot remotely login to this machine

Thanks very much.
  • dukessd
    dukessd
    345 Posts

‏2013-03-27T01:17:52Z  
    Hi Nigel,

Thanks for replying. We do have alot of old computers here and that is a running joke about putting them in a museum.

I am logging in directly into the machine through the CDE (Common Desktop Environment). I looked in /etc/environment and searched for "DT" but this returned no results. The root user does not appear to have a .profile or .login file. The root user does have a .dtprofile file but everything in this file is commented out. I looked in /.dt/errorlog and found the following 2 entries:

I then created a brand new user called test1. I attempted to login as this new user in the CDE but got the same “The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message. I looked in /home/test1/.dt/errorlog. The following 3 lines were listed:
    “dtsession: Unable to exec /usr/dt/install/oldrules/dtrmrules.driver. ENOENT (2) A file or directory in the pathname does not exist.”

I did confirm that the file dtrmrules.driver does not exist though I am not exactly sure what this "driver" file is.
    I did some Google searches on the error messages I got and found replies where some people said it was caused by a filesystem being full which I confirmed is not true by using the "df -k" command.

Most of the replies said that CDE (Common Desktop Environment) issued are caused by network configuration.
    I know I am having network issues on this machine because:
    (a) I cannot ping this machine by the IP Address I gave it
    (b) when I issued the "df -k" command it said "NFS Server not responding still trying"

I guess I will refer back to my first question from my original post:

1) If I changed the hostname and IP Address in the /etc/hosts file is there anywhere else I need to change them (besides with smit) so that they propogate through the system? I am hoping that once I get the networking services configured correctly on this machine that the “The DT messaging system could not be started..." error message will stop appearing when I attempt to login into the Common Desktop Environment as any user.

NOTE: I also cannot remotely login to this machine

Thanks very much.
    If you cannot remotely login and you have a working console, given all the other problems, then it's reboot time...

HTH
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2013-03-27T14:25:20Z  
    Hi dukessd,

Thanks for responding. I have rebooted this machine several times and that has not resolved the issue. Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2013-04-01T14:26:38Z  
    Hi All,

I was able to resolve this issue by commenting out the line on dhcpcd in /etc/rc.tcpip. Thanks.
  • giovannifcrosta
    giovannifcrosta
    1 Post

‏2015-01-30T18:16:05Z  
    Hi All,

I was able to resolve this issue by commenting out the line on dhcpcd in /etc/rc.tcpip. Thanks.

Dear All:

if none of the above procedures works, then

1) shutdown (without rebooting) all other hosts in the local network, which may have hung http or ftp sessions

2) in the user, say /home/Giovanni, directory of interest of the machine with faulty DT messaging system, do

rm -r $HOME/.dt

3) reboot said machine

4) log in to the same machine as Giovanni

5) restart all other hosts.

The procedure was applied to a local network with an ADSL router, a DHCP server, a few Mac's, an HP Pavilion (the one with hung http - ftp session) and an IBM 42t running CDE under AIX 4.1.4.

Rem.: it does not matter whether the command

env

returns 

DISPLAY=:0.0

or 

DISPLAY=[hostname]:0.0

Best.

g.