Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-15T18:53:22Z by markevans
dan_darnell
dan_darnell
969 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Any decision from IBM on EDT project involvement? Timeframe (please)?

‏2013-03-25T19:22:42Z |
Okay, so we heard a few weeks ago that IBM is reassessing its involvement in the EDT effort. (And there seems to be general agreement in the community that IBM pulling out before 1.0 means the death of EDT.) When are we going to hear something definitive from IBM regarding your involvement? Please don't leave those of us non-IBM'ers who are contributing to this effort hanging indefinitely. If you are pulling out we want to move on and focus our efforts elsewhere. If you are still considering staying in then please give us some idea of when you are going to make a decision.

Respectfully,

Dan Darnell
Updated on 2013-04-01T16:57:17Z at 2013-04-01T16:57:17Z by dan_darnell
  • clausweiss
    clausweiss
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Any decision from IBM on EDT project involvement? Timeframe (please)?

‏2013-03-28T00:32:05Z  in response to dan_darnell
    I have the same request as Dan. I am scheduled to present EDT at the Toronto Users Group Tech Conference at end of April. I really would like to know if it makes sense to present this topic. If IBM is planning to change its involvement in EDT, I rather present a different topic. If we don't get any feedback from IBM on this topic, I assume that it means that support for EDT from IBM is ceasing and I will switch topics for the TUG conference. I would hate to present a topic that will cease to be relevant the day after I present.
    Please give us some feedback so we know where IBM stands on its future EDT involvement.
    Best regards Claus
  • clausweiss
    clausweiss
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-28T00:34:52Z  in response to dan_darnell
    I have the same request as Dan. I am scheduled to present EDT at the Toronto Users Group Tech Conference at end of April. I really would like to know if it makes sense to present this topic. If IBM is planning to change its involvement in EDT, I rather present a different topic. If we don't get any feedback from IBM on this topic, I assume that it means that support for EDT from IBM is ceasing and I will switch topics for the TUG conference. I would hate to present a topic that will cease to be relevant the day after I present.
    Please give us some feedback so we know where IBM stands on its future EDT involvement.
    Best regards Claus
    • dan_darnell
      dan_darnell
      969 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-01T16:57:17Z  in response to clausweiss
      I have a magazine article on hold awaiting word on this too. It would be nice for IBM/Rational to go ahead and let the community know how this is going to go so that EDT's champions can either move forward with our efforts to promote the project or move on to something else.

Thanks,

Dan
      • markevans
        markevans
        2744 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-15T18:53:22Z  in response to dan_darnell

We appreciate your use and interest in EDT.  

As we have already shared, using community feedback, we would be re-assessing our investment plan on EDT.   While we recognize that EDT has many benefits and features, at this time, we have stabilized IBM's contributions to EDT at its current release level (the .82 release).    RBD/EGL is and has been a very powerful development tool and language and we encourage you to continue exploiting the features/functionality within that product.