Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-21T14:57:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5507 Posts

Pinned topic Update secondary requests when primary request page is modified

‏2013-03-20T23:06:17Z |
I'm recording a test on a http/html e-commerce solution. The primary request for a product page has several secondary requests for images, css, js, etc. that are recorded on the test. What I don't get is:

• If different products have different number of images and I add a datapool for product id, how is RPT going to do the correct secondary requests for each product, if it keeps calling always the same requests for the product page I recorded?

• At some point, if the webdesigner modifies the web page removing or adding secondary requests, do I have to keep track of all these updates to reflect them on my test script? Or maybe do the recording all over again?

• Why RPT doesn't only record the primary request, interprets the code and do the secondary requests like a browser would do, reflecting the exact html code on the page?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Guilherme
Updated on 2013-03-21T14:57:51Z at 2013-03-21T14:57:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • KMooney
    KMooney
    283 Posts

Re: Update secondary requests when primary request page is modified

‏2013-03-21T14:09:16Z  
    RPT will not follow the desired secondary request and will always to the same requests.

At some point the application may change sufficiently that re-recording is necessary. You can split scripts so it is possible to work with the application in a more modular way it may reduce the amount of re-recording that has to be done.

The primary reason RPT works at the HTTP protocol level, and not the browser level, is resources. RPT allows simulating hundreds or thousands of users from one agent machine. The amount of memory and CPU required for full browser compliance for the same number of users would not be possible.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

Re: Update secondary requests when primary request page is modified

‏2013-03-21T14:57:51Z  
    • KMooney
    • ‏2013-03-21T14:09:16Z
    RPT will not follow the desired secondary request and will always to the same requests.

At some point the application may change sufficiently that re-recording is necessary. You can split scripts so it is possible to work with the application in a more modular way it may reduce the amount of re-recording that has to be done.

The primary reason RPT works at the HTTP protocol level, and not the browser level, is resources. RPT allows simulating hundreds or thousands of users from one agent machine. The amount of memory and CPU required for full browser compliance for the same number of users would not be possible.
    Page changes are a concern, but I can do this modular approach like you mentioned. What really bugs me are the pages that are accessed via datapooled url's (product id's) and have different number of requests (images, etc.). I'll always measure response time for the page I recorded, and not the average for the mix of pages I have in the environment.

Anyway, thanks for your reply! Helped a lot!