Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-20T19:28:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1192 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Develop for HATS on Windows, deploy on Linux?

‏2013-03-20T18:16:08Z |
Hi,

If I develop for HATS using Windows 7, can I deploy my .ear to a WAS server running under Linux (such as an AWS instance) or are there library or other dependencies that require it to run on WAS under Windows?

Also, if I buy HATS for multi-platform, how does it work out for the restricted WAS license that comes with HATS if I deploy for production (Linux) on a different environment that I develop (Windows)?

Thanks very much for any and all help!
Updated on 2013-03-20T19:28:25Z at 2013-03-20T19:28:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Develop for HATS on Windows, deploy on Linux?

‏2013-03-20T18:23:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can deploy to any platform you like. All HATS applications are going to be developed on Windows but they can be exported and deployed to any supported app server on any of the supported platforms. There is no native code that will cause you any problems.

Thanks
    Tim
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1192 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T18:32:03Z  in response to tmparker
      Thanks,

That is very good news Tim! One other question if I may? You told me before about the restricted WAS license I get by purchasing HATS. That sounds fantastic actually.

When I buy a license for HATS (will buy Authorized User, not PVU), can I use that WAS license for my HATS application if WAS is running on Amazon Web Services (AWS)? I would install a Linux AMI, then install WAS, apply the license and deploy my HATS app. Does that sound feasible or do you know of anyone that has done that?

http://aws.amazon.com/ibm/

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/pvu_for_Amazon_Elastic_compute_cloud.html

HATS, WAS and AWS seems like a great combination.
      • tmparker
        tmparker
        518 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T19:20:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Honestly, I'm not on the sales team so I don't really know any of the specifics of how this would work when dealing with the Amazon service. My best understanding would be that HATS has its own license and you purchase and enable your project yourself. Then you export the EAR file and that is as far as HATS is involved. From there, the WAS licensing would come into play. I don't know exactly how that works with the Amazon servers. If they are already licensed and you simply just need a license for the product you deploy, in this case HATS, then I think you should be fine.

Thanks
        Tim