Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-31T20:57:10Z by jrniemijr
muras
muras
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CREATE DATABASE very slow (v10.1 fp2)

‏2013-03-19T19:54:30Z |
db2 CREATE DATABASE myTest AUTOMATIC STORAGE YES ON '/home/db2inst1' DBPATH ON '/home/db2inst1' USING CODESET UTF-8 TERRITORY US COLLATE USING SYSTEM PAGESIZE 8192

Hi - the CREATE DATABASE command (above) is very slow taking about 8 minutes on my laptop where I have V10.1 fixpack2 running on Redhat linux (64 bit), Memory 3.6 Gig, 4 processors 2.5 GHz

We have linux guest VMs running where it takes 30+ minutes with local disks (datastore) configured.

Is this expected? is there anything I can do to speed it up?

I have tried changing the DB2_PARALLEL_IO to different values, and also specifying: AUTOCONFIGURE APPLY NONE, but these do not improve the runtime.

-thanks in advance for any assistance :-)
brian
  • Sreeharsha_Naik
    Sreeharsha_Naik
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CREATE DATABASE very slow (v10.1 fp2)

‏2013-05-09T20:14:34Z  in response to muras

Hi Brain,

I have had this issue on DB2 10.1.2 on windows - express C when I moved from 64 bits to 32 bits. It was strange - the create db sample command would take < a minute in my colleagues laptop but in mine it would take > 5 minutes. I rolled back to 64 and everything was back to normal. At times it would be unusually long on 64 as well. Some experts pointed out about disk fragmentation on windows, other said that the CPU was busy with services/applications. I am not familiar with Linux, may be it should give you a heads up on something, hopefully - till then we will wait for some good answer :)

Regards,
    Sreeharsha

• jrniemijr
    jrniemijr
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-30T17:41:13Z  in response to muras

Is there any update on this extremely slow db creation on RHEL 6.4  x86_64?

I am seeing similar slow times with db2 10.5 FP2.

Simple sample db taking ~20 mins on some systems.

It does not seem to matter if it is real hardware vs. a VM.

Some systems create the db in 1-2 mins and others it takes 20+ mins.

Is it disk/storage related? excessive writes to disk?

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
      9RYQ_Kiran_mk
      78 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T07:22:40Z  in response to jrniemijr

I guess 8 minutes is not a long time for DB Creation.  But still its not ideal  I would also interested to know whether you are running any other services which consumes more resources.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
      9RYQ_Kiran_mk
      78 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T07:23:57Z  in response to jrniemijr

I guess 8 minutes is not a long time for DB Creation.  But still its not ideal  I would also interested to know whether you are running any other services which consumes more resources.

I believe VM give lesser performance in local system when compared to VM's running on High End Servers.  This could be one of the reason. But not sure.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• jrniemijr
        jrniemijr
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T20:57:10Z  in response to 9RYQ_Kiran_mk

Sorry that I did not provide better details. The 8 min db creation is for like a sample db. Nothing to it. Should take like seconds to create.

When we get to databases that are part of product is when it takes 20+ mins but on other systems, the same db creation takes a couple of minutes.

There are many variables at play here even with different hardware involved which is making it hard to debug.

Some systems have SSD and others regular hdds. Which is why we tried changing the I/O scheduler settings from cfq to noop to deadline.

Not any improvement in times.

The slowest time is actually on real hardware with a ssd.