Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
20 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-05T14:16:18Z by rraddatz
CognosSonata
CognosSonata
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Error while transforming Cognos Model to Dimensional Logical Data Model

‏2013-03-19T08:01:48Z |
Hi everyone,

I got this message: "File contains invalid Cognos model" but no error was found after the cognos model had been checked. I hope anybody can help me or show me how to trace this error because no more error description can be found.

Please see the attachment included screenshot and xml model file (exported from framework manager)

Thanks for your attention.
Updated on 2013-04-05T14:16:18Z at 2013-04-05T14:16:18Z by rraddatz
  • dtc
    dtc
    63 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Error while transforming Cognos Model to Dimensional Logical Data Model

‏2013-03-19T16:01:53Z  in response to CognosSonata
    The file is not a Cognos Framework Manager XML file. It is in the CWM XMI file format, which is not supported:
    <!DOCTYPE XMI SYSTEM "cwm.dtd">
    <XMI
    xmi.version="1.1"
    timestamp="Mar 19 2013 14:38:26"
    xmlns:CWM="org.omg.CWM1.0"
    xmlns:CWMRDB="org.omg.CWM1.0/Relational"
    xmlns:CWMOLAP="org.omg.CWM1.0/OLAP"
    xmlns:CWMTFM="org.omg.CWM1.0/Transformation"
    >

Please use the Cognos Framework Manager XML file.
    • CognosSonata
      CognosSonata
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T02:03:54Z  in response to dtc
      Hi dtc,

Thanks for your reply.

Please see my new attachment. This includes the cpf file (framework manager model) and the documentation I have followed (from 3rd page to 7th page).

After exporting cognos model from framework manager as the instruction, I collected that xml file. As default, the header of this file is:

<XMI
      xmi.version="1.1"
      timestamp="Mar 19 2013 14:38:26"
      xmlns:CWM="org.omg.CWM1.0"
      xmlns:CWMRDB="org.omg.CWM1.0/Relational"
      xmlns:CWMOLAP="org.omg.CWM1.0/OLAP"
      xmlns:CWMTFM="org.omg.CWM1.0/Transformation"
      >

Please help me to solve this problem.
      Thank you very much!

Regards
      • CognosSonata
        CognosSonata
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T07:05:41Z  in response to CognosSonata
        Hi,

I also tried with Audit Sample model and the same problem occured.

Attachments

• dtc
        dtc
        63 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T15:01:08Z  in response to CognosSonata
        The Cognos Framework Manager model XML file is named 'model.xml', exists in the same directory as the '.cpf' file, and has the following header:
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
        <project xmlns="http://www.developer.cognos.com/schemas/bmt/60/2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.developer.cognos.com/schemas/bmt/60/2 BMTModelSpecification.xsd">
        • CognosSonata
          CognosSonata
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T01:46:06Z  in response to dtc
          Hi,

Thank you again.

I've tried to transform from model.xml but after the information progress bar had been closed, no model was generated. The model.xml file and the screenshots are attached. I would greatly appreciate any help. I do not know what to do anymore since there is no clearly error message.

Regards,
          • mgibson
            mgibson
            20 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T01:28:39Z  in response to CognosSonata
            Hi CognosSonata

Did you find a soltuion to this - I'm having the exact same trouble.

It seems like a bug. I can't import it either of the 3 ways I tried;

1. - using CWM export, ie.e by following the instruction in that document
            2. - trying to import the FM model.xml file
            3. - trying to connect to the Content Store

Nothing works. Any ideas?

Regards
            Mick
            • CognosSonata
              CognosSonata
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T01:56:50Z  in response to mgibson
              Hi mgibson,
              Thanks for your reply. I still haven't found any solution to this. I don't know what to do next. I can only wait for a reply in this forum.
              Regards,
              Khoa
              • mgibson
                mgibson
                20 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T02:00:13Z  in response to CognosSonata
                I wonder if it's at least partly because the metadata bridges are out of date (i.e. they don't work with V10.1.1 models or something)?

But that doesn't explain why the CWM model export doesn't work, because that wouldn't be version dependent.

I'm completely lost and have tried everything multiple times.

Please post something if you find a solution.

Mick
                • CognosSonata
                  CognosSonata
                  10 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T03:52:38Z  in response to mgibson
                  hum. There is many basic documents about IDA or some IBM Products. But I wonder why they don't publish some troubleshooting documents for each product.
                  Of course I will post my experience if I can find.
                  Thanks and Regards,
                  Khoa
                  • dtc
                    dtc
                    63 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T14:51:19Z  in response to CognosSonata
                    Sorry for the delay in replying. I accidentally lost the previous forum post and had a hard time searching back this thread, trying all sorts of keywords: Cognos, dimensional, model, etc. I am glad you posted again to this thread.

Your model does not contain any dimensions (regular or measure). Therefore, the generated model is empty and a message is displayed: "MdmToLdm.exportLdm.rule is executed WITH AN EMPTY LDM MODEL". Unfortunately, the message (with a few prior ones like "MdmToLdm.namespace.rule is executed on Namespace: Model") goes by too fast to be caught by eyes. If you divert console messages to a file, you should see it.

Please define dimensions (regular and measure) and their scope relationships in your model, which you need to perform OLAP analysis and reporting, and run the transformation. The transformation is designed to transform a Cognos dimensional model into an IDA dimensional logical data model.
                    • mgibson
                      mgibson
                      20 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T21:21:28Z  in response to dtc
                      Hi dtc,

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly - in a situation like ours where we mostly use relational models, then this process doesn't work?

Are there any alternatives for exchanging metadata for relational models?

I had the use a process involving copying and pasting data into MS Excel to get it done in the end.

Regards
                      Mick
                      • dtc
                        dtc
                        63 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T21:54:56Z  in response to mgibson
                        For relational models you can use the Data Model Import Wizard and select "IBM Cognos BI Reporting - Framework Manager" as the model format. However, for data source query objects, it is better to use reverse engineering in IDA to generate the physical data model directly from the data source.
                        • mgibson
                          mgibson
                          20 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T22:21:33Z  in response to dtc
                          dtc,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that also and it doesn't work. It produces an error saying there is an error in the model - even when there isn't. I tried it on some simple models - including the samples provided by IBM and it fails with the same error every time.

I wondered whether it was a compatibility thing? i.e. maybe the bridge isn't compatible with Cognos version 10.1.1?

Regards
                          Mick
                          • dtc
                            dtc
                            63 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T22:40:01Z  in response to mgibson
                            When I tried using the Data Model Import Wizard / Cognos Framework Manager bridge to import the MyPackage model.xml, which CognosSonata provided, it generated a PDM model and a LDM model, though the LDM model has only packages but no entities. Since this is not my area of focus, I have forwarded your post to my colleague Robin. I hope she will help you resolve your issues using the Cognos Framework Manager bridge.
                            • mgibson
                              mgibson
                              20 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T22:42:46Z  in response to dtc
                              That's great dtc - thanks a lot for your help! I look forward to hearing from Robin.

And it's curious, because I didn't even get as far as creating a Physical model. I'm using IDA version 8.1 - what about you? Do you think it's an IDA version issue?

Regards
                              Mick
                              • rraddatz
                                rraddatz
                                55 Posts
                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-27T15:54:35Z  in response to mgibson
                                Hi Mick,

Can you attach the log you receive when attempting to import the model? On the summary page of the Model Import wizard, there is a log - just copy/paste that into a text file.

Thanks,
                                Robin
                                • mgibson
                                  mgibson
                                  20 Posts
                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-27T21:47:24Z  in response to rraddatz
                                  Hi Robin,

Sure, I've included the log in the attached zipped file called 'Error_Log20130327.txt'.

Please note that yesterday I upgraded IDA to version 8.5, and now receive different errors. One of the errors I was able to resolve myself using this article...

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21330647

But as you can see from the attached log file I'm getting a new error that doesn't provide much insight into the problem - and a Google search didn't show up anything useful.

Note that this error appears while trying to import a Cognos Framework Manager file (i.e. the model.xml file attached) - as per the attached screenshots.

Hopefully you can replicate the problem with the info I've attached.

Regards
                                  Mick
                                  • rraddatz
                                    rraddatz
                                    55 Posts
                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-28T14:32:10Z  in response to mgibson
                                    Hi Mick,

I just had a similar question about this error:

NONE> MBCM_E0040 Cannot find MIMB XML file: C:\Program Files\ibm\SDPShared\plugins\com.ibm.datatools.metadata.wizards.miti.win32_1.0.6.v20121017_0757\MetaIntegration\bin\..\..\..\..\..\IDA8.5.0\mitiloc\temp\MJB411.tmp
                                    Are you running as an adminsitrator on Windows 7? If not, right-click on the InfoSphere Data Architect menu option and select "Run as Administrator"

Thanks,
                                    Robin
                                    • mgibson
                                      mgibson
                                      20 Posts
                                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-04T05:23:14Z  in response to rraddatz
                                      Hi Robin,

That's a good idea - but unfortunately it doesn't work. I changed the setting (it asks for my userid and password every time I open IDA, so I know it's opening as Admin), but I still get the same error;

<ERROR>   Could not find required file: C:\Program Files\ibm\SDPShared\plugins\com.ibm.datatools.metadata.wizards.miti.win32_1.0.6.v20121017_0757\MetaIntegration\bin\..\..\..\..\..\IDA8.5.0\mitiloc\MIMB\cache\CognosRepositoryImport\1539288753312401011.0\native_2\i5eae4804a57944b8b11714234da3b520..1355884559716.r.model.xml

Again, I've checked in Windows Explorer, and the file definitely exists.

The above error occurs when using the 'Content Manager Packages' option. I've tried to import the same metadata using the 'Framework Manager' option, but get a completely different error;

<WARNING>        The Physical Data Model was not created because source model does not have any Databases

Even if I manually specify Oracle as the DB. But I've no idea why that's happening.

Regards
                                      Mick
  • rraddatz
    rraddatz
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-05T14:16:18Z  in response to CognosSonata
    Hi Mick,
    Hmmm - can you try something else? I still think it's a problem with the mitiloc directory, but this will definitely tell us if that's a correct assumption or not. There is a file: MIRSetup.xml. The default location in IDA 8.1.0 is below:

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDPShared\plugins\com.ibm.datatools.metadata.wizards.miti.win32_1.0.5.v20120403_1058\MetaIntegration\conf

Please change this line to point to a directory that you know you have authority to. You can enter an absolute path:

<Data>..\..\..\..\..\IDA8.1.0\mitiloc</Data>

If that doesn't work, change it to the following:

<Data></Data>

Can you please try this and send me your logs?

Thanks,
    Robin