Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-18T20:30:46Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
590 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WebSphere eXtreme Scale and Liberty - problem with ibmorb.jar etc

‏2013-03-18T17:35:23Z |
I'm trying to get a simple environment working with eclipse, Liberty profile and WXS. I'm using eclipse Indigo, and the Liberty 8.5.0.1 and WXS 8.6 downloaded from wasdev.net, and the WAS 8.5 Liberty Profile Developer Tools and WXS v8.6 Liberty Profile Developer Tools plug-ins installed via the eclipse marketplace. I was using Jon Marshall's blog entry as a guide: link: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/WASFAQs/entry/easy_websphere_extreme_scale_development_with_liberty?lang=en. I'm running on Ubuntu Linux 12.10.

All seems well at first. I can create and start a Liberty server. I can edit server.xml and add the eXtremeScale.server-1.1 feature and define a catalog server (<xsServer catalogServer="true">).

However, when I start the server, I get the follwing in the console:

Launching WXSLibertyServer2 (wlp-1.0.1.cl0120121004-1949/websphere-kernel_1.0.1) on IBM J9 VM, version pxi3260_26sr2ifx-20120419_02 (SR2) (en_GB)
AUDIT CWWKE0001I: The server WXSLibertyServer2 has been launched.
ERROR CWOBJ0103E: This server cannot load necessary channel framework and/or ORB classes. Ensure that ibmcfw.jar, ibmorb.jar, and ibmorbapi.jar are in your java.endorsed.dirs property.
AUDIT CWWKZ0058I: Monitoring dropins for applications.
AUDIT CWWKF0011I: The server WXSLibertyServer2 is ready to run a smarter planet.
err Exception in thread "Socket Timer Thread"
err java.lang.NullPointerException
err at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.SocketTimerThread.run(SocketTimerThread.java:61)

As you can see I'm using an IBM Java runtime, so I shouldn't need to do anything special to pick up the right ORB etc should I? I did try explicitly defining a java.endorsed.dirs property pointing to those three files in the wxs/lib/endorsed directory but it didn't make any difference (assuming I did that correctly).

I'm stuck - any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WebSphere eXtreme Scale and Liberty - problem with ibmorb.jar etc

‏2013-03-18T18:15:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    There are instructions how you install Liberty + WXS on our caching community, Getting Started with Liberty Profile.

You need to run the java -jar wxs-wlp_###.jar command to install otherwise the jvm.options it creates will be missing. I'm unsure if this is specifically causing your issue, but it's common for people to just unjar the download and have issues starting the server.
    Eric
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      590 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WebSphere eXtreme Scale and Liberty - problem with ibmorb.jar etc

‏2013-03-18T20:30:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Ah - many thanks Eric - now I'm feeling rather stupid. You're quite right - I wrongly assumed hose commands were just unpacking the files, so did it a different way without even really thinking about it.

I've just reinstalled Liberty and WXS the correct way and of course it's working fine now.

Alan