Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-03T10:35:28Z by ICTmember
bjdboyer
bjdboyer
17 Posts

Pinned topic ILMT showing WebSphere MQ as Free

‏2013-03-15T17:51:52Z |

Client was audited and they got ding'd on their Websphere MQ licensing. So they wanted ILMT installed and agents scan on all the MQ servers. Did that, but ILMT is saying that all the MQ instances are free... no charge.. Why is ILMT saying this big $$ product is all free? Running the latest software catalog dated 2/15/2013.

Do I just need to click to include this instance in pricing calculations?

Bill

Updated on 2014-02-03T09:41:25Z at 2014-02-03T09:41:25Z by ICTmember
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ILMT showing WebSphere MQ as Free

‏2013-04-04T10:31:51Z  
    Hi Bill,

Not seeing Tivoli Ingegrated Portal of your installation, I will answer by assuming some information.

First of all, to have the long story short, ILMT agents discovers instances of components that are defined in IBM Software Catalog. The result of so called software scan is sent to the ILMT server. Server tries to match component instances with products that particular components may include (automated bundling).

And moving back to your case, MQ is a component which hundreds of IBM products may contain. In some of those products MQ is chargeable component in other it is free.

I believe in your case ILMT server assigned MQ component instances to products where MQ is free (what is shown correctly on Web UI as you described). What should be done now is to reassign MQ components to the right product(s). The product(s) you are licensed to. The products where MQ is not free anymore.

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2013-04-04T10:31:51Z  
    Hi Bill,

Not seeing Tivoli Ingegrated Portal of your installation, I will answer by assuming some information.

First of all, to have the long story short, ILMT agents discovers instances of components that are defined in IBM Software Catalog. The result of so called software scan is sent to the ILMT server. Server tries to match component instances with products that particular components may include (automated bundling).

And moving back to your case, MQ is a component which hundreds of IBM products may contain. In some of those products MQ is chargeable component in other it is free.

I believe in your case ILMT server assigned MQ component instances to products where MQ is free (what is shown correctly on Web UI as you described). What should be done now is to reassign MQ components to the right product(s). The product(s) you are licensed to. The products where MQ is not free anymore.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
  • thieryl
    thieryl
    1 Post

‏2014-01-28T11:46:53Z  
    Hi Bill,

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

Hello Michal,

I have the same problem as Bill.

We have 2 host servers (HP) with partitions.

We installed on each partitions LMT agent and we have no problem on agents.

When we look on Processor tab in LMT console, we have also no problem.

But when we see the Software extract in LMT console, there are problems. Please see Screenshot 1 in file attached:

On Host 1:

I have 3 partitions (2 with WebSphere MQ 6.0 in activity [ON] and 1 with WebSphere MQ 6.0 not in activity [OFF])

For 2 partitions in activity, we found on each partition:

Product: IBM WebSpere MQ / Edition: IBM WebSpere MQ 6.0 / Component: IBM WebSphere MQ 6.0 and IBM WebSphere MQ Client 6.0

For 1 partition out in activity, we found:

Product: IBM WebSpere MQ / Edition: IBM WebSpere MQ 6.0 / IBM WebSphere MQ Client 6.0

In this condition, LMT give us exactly the situation with 2 partitions in chargeable and 1 partition in free

1000 PVU (partial) on 1400 PVU (total), but we didn't understand why for each lines of partition we saw 1000 PVU and not:

HP1 : 4 PVU (because 4 cores x 100 PVU = 400PVU)

HP2 : 6 PVU (because 6 cores x 100 PVU = 600 PVU)

HP3 : 4 PVU (because 4 cores x 100 PVU = 400 PVU) but not take in account because not in activity

On Host 2:

We have 3 partitions with MQ and 1 partition without. We installed only agent on 3 partitions with MQ.

On each partition with agent, LMT console give us only free product:

Product: IBM WebSpere MQ / Edition: IBM WebSpere MQ 6.0 / Component: IBM WebSphere MQ 6.0 and IBM WebSphere MQ Client 6.0

We haven't got information with IBM WebSphere MQ 6.0 (chargeable).

So, in this case, we are exactly in the same situation as Bill.

I analyse your answer but I cannot affect to the other product in catalog (last update calatog: 18 déc. 13 17:16:45). LMT console installed in French language.

If I try to reaffect component to another product, I cannot change situation because component is in Free status so it will be always free (See screenshot 2).

I tried to included component in price calcul (see screenshot 3) but anything is proposed.

We have to found for Host 2 : 1200 PVU (Partial) on 1600 PVU (Total).

So at the moment , we blocked on these problems.

Thanks a lot for your help

Attachments

Updated on 2014-01-28T11:47:45Z at 2014-01-28T11:47:45Z by thieryl
  • ICTmember
    ICTmember
    152 Posts

‏2014-02-03T10:35:28Z  
    • thieryl
    • ‏2014-01-28T11:46:53Z

Hello Michal,

I have the same problem as Bill.

We have 2 host servers (HP) with partitions.

We installed on each partitions LMT agent and we have no problem on agents.

When we look on Processor tab in LMT console, we have also no problem.

But when we see the Software extract in LMT console, there are problems. Please see Screenshot 1 in file attached:

On Host 1:

I have 3 partitions (2 with WebSphere MQ 6.0 in activity [ON] and 1 with WebSphere MQ 6.0 not in activity [OFF])

For 2 partitions in activity, we found on each partition:

For 1 partition out in activity, we found:

Product: IBM WebSpere MQ / Edition: IBM WebSpere MQ 6.0 / IBM WebSphere MQ Client 6.0

In this condition, LMT give us exactly the situation with 2 partitions in chargeable and 1 partition in free

1000 PVU (partial) on 1400 PVU (total), but we didn't understand why for each lines of partition we saw 1000 PVU and not:

HP1 : 4 PVU (because 4 cores x 100 PVU = 400PVU)

HP2 : 6 PVU (because 6 cores x 100 PVU = 600 PVU)

HP3 : 4 PVU (because 4 cores x 100 PVU = 400 PVU) but not take in account because not in activity

On Host 2:

We have 3 partitions with MQ and 1 partition without. We installed only agent on 3 partitions with MQ.

On each partition with agent, LMT console give us only free product:

We haven't got information with IBM WebSphere MQ 6.0 (chargeable).

So, in this case, we are exactly in the same situation as Bill.

I analyse your answer but I cannot affect to the other product in catalog (last update calatog: 18 déc. 13 17:16:45). LMT console installed in French language.

If I try to reaffect component to another product, I cannot change situation because component is in Free status so it will be always free (See screenshot 2).

I tried to included component in price calcul (see screenshot 3) but anything is proposed.

We have to found for Host 2 : 1200 PVU (Partial) on 1600 PVU (Total).

So at the moment , we blocked on these problems.

Thanks a lot for your help

Hello Laurent,

Everything looks fine from your screenshots. I believe it is just conceptual issue here. Please double check your papers, but according to general license, MQ is not charged by clients. It is charged by servers.

So if ILMT agents discover just MQ clients on second server (Host 2 on your screen), there is nothing to be charged for. Therefore instead of PVU calculation for server 2 there is "not available" icon.

Agents' discovery on server 1 (Host 1) is important for PVU calculation only regarding IBM WebSphere MQ component as those components are charged inside IBM WebSphere MQ product. You have 2 such components, on HP1 and HP2, which as you wrote are configured for 400 and 600 PVU respectively. Means that for server it is 1000 PVU, what is correctly shown on the screenshot. ILMT server calculated 1400 PVU as full capacity of the server and 1000 PVU as subcapacity for MQ on that server. You have no other MQ chargable components in your infrastructure, so this is final result for MQ product.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team