Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-19T20:09:22Z by HEHM_Ariel_Brunner
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7929 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Populate Diversity function

‏2013-03-14T17:31:18Z |
Hey guys,

I've only recently found out that the Populate method only produces solutions that differ in integer values (from this thread - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14899426).

This is good news for me, since I've been wanting to use the method on a MILP problem with Boolean (indicator) variables, but only cared about the values of the Boolean variables in the solutions (besides the feasibility enforced by constraints on the continuous variables).
However, I could not figure out yet whether or not values from continuous variables are counted as well when computing difference between solution, when SolnPoolReplace is set to 2 (diversity).

I'd someone more familiar with Cplex letting me know.

Thanks,
Ariel.
Updated on 2013-03-23T18:11:49Z at 2013-03-23T18:11:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • RWunderling
    RWunderling
    106 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Populate Diversity function

‏2013-03-22T07:00:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Continuous variables are not considered in the solution pool diversity filters.

Roland
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-23T18:11:49Z  in response to RWunderling
      Thanks for the answer, Roland.

However, I still need some clarification.
      I am well aware that only binary variables can be added to CPLEX's diversity filters, but I was asking about CPLEX's solution pool replacement strategy when SolnPoolReplace is set to "diversity", and not about solution filters.
      The latter only enables control over how close/far solutions are from a set of reference solutions, while the former enables saving solutions that differ from each other.

Thanks,
      Ariel.
  • HEHM_Ariel_Brunner
    HEHM_Ariel_Brunner
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-15T23:07:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin

A month has passed and I'm still without answer.

Is there anyone who happens to know it?

If not, could anyone point me out to a way of contacting the IBM support on this matter?

I'm pretty confused about the contact options. Also, if it is relevant, I'm using CPLEX from an academic initiative license.

Thanks,

Ariel.

• RWunderling
      RWunderling
      106 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-19T14:15:34Z  in response to HEHM_Ariel_Brunner

Also for the diversity replacement strategy, CPLEX only considers non-continuous variables.

The AI license does not include entitlement to technical support. So this forum is your best option, but we can only reply as time permits.

Roland