Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T17:05:35Z by KaranBal
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
648 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Sample Data Model for MDMCS (v10.1)

‏2013-03-14T13:53:06Z |
Hello all,

I'm very new to using the MDMCS (as you can tell from my previous posts).

I'm trying to understand the basic concepts within the MDMCS but struggling at the moment with the concepts of Specs(for hierarchies and catalogs), Hierarchy, Catalogs, Relationships etc.

Just wondering of there is a good tutorial out there (I haven't found any, after intense googling) which illustrates these concepts?

Or if there is a sample datamodel that I could import in to the product so I can see things visually to understand things a little more?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-03-15T17:05:35Z at 2013-03-15T17:05:35Z by KaranBal
  • KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Sample Data Model for MDMCS (v10.1)

‏2013-03-15T03:44:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Well, I think the questions are too generic to answer in a forum. I am not aware of any online tutorials with comprehensive details, but the following options are still available:
    1. The information center: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/mdm/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.pim.ovr.doc/pim_ref_overview.html
    2. IBM redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248059.html?Open
    3. Approach IBM for a coaching class; as I understand it 3 to 5 day courses are available.
    4. Use this forum for specific questions
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T04:52:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

look at the attached document. It may help you to understand some things about objects in MDMCS
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      648 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T09:11:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Karan,

Thank you for your valuable input. Points taken. But I think for someone like me, who is totally new to using a product, there has to be a place to ask generic questions, for I do not really know at this point in time what the specific questions are. And asking high level questions, generally works towards refining someone's knowledge and making them understand things a little more every time. I'm sure thats how we've all grown to be experts in whatever we do.

Alexander,

Thank you so much for the document. Reading it now.

Thanks both of you.

Si.
      • KaranBal
        KaranBal
        108 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T17:05:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Fair point.
        But if someone tries to explain basic concepts like specs, hierarchies, catalogs, etc in writing(its easier face to face), then there are following possibilities:
        1. The replying person just copies and paste content from the information center. This is the central purpose of information center; IBM has dedicated teams trying to add details of the product that the end users/admins might need from basic information to complex nuances.
        2. Tries to articulate a response. But since these are so basic, there are further 2 possibilities:
        2.1. The replying person gives a one or two line definition which isn't necessarily helpful.
        2.2. The replying person tries to explain the issue in detail covering nuances. But this approach would mean the person would end up writing many pages with explanations and edge case scenarios.
        There's probably a sweet spot in there on optimum level of detail that information requester asked for, but that is subjective.

So I think the best place to look for such questions is the information center and you can ask for clarification on this forum. Plus in the information center, you can search on keywords and get precisely what you need. If you think the information center is difficult to navigate, then you can use the feature of "Scope" to hide unwanted section like the ones pertaining to MDM Server and MDS.
        IC Link: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/mdm/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.pim.ovr.doc/pim_ref_overview.html