• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-09-08T11:23:35Z by cwalsek
783 Posts

Pinned topic Java batch on the Mainframe z/os

‏2013-03-13T22:01:41Z |
Can you please share your experience / use cases for Java batch on the mainframe platform.
Please share obstacles encountered and ultimately was it worth it.

• cwalsek
    15 Posts

Re: Java batch on the Mainframe z/os

Definitely worth the effort.  The shrinking pool of traditional z/OS COBOL developers requires new solutions to age-old processing scenarios.  WebSphere Batch is more than a new solution;  it actually extends existing mainframe batch processing to include what might be called Enterprise Batch.  Executing batch processes in WebSphere enabled batch applications to tap operational, stable, and secure COBOL CICS business logic.  And it's great not having to configure JVM prior to program execution, as I do now with j/ZOS & BPXBATCH. 

I use WSGRID to invoke WebSphere Batch from traditional JCL on z/OS.  One of the challenges I encountered was learning how to blend old-style technologies TSO, ISPF, & JCL with WebSphere Java, xJCL, and USS.  Another challenge was determining a methodology for application development, like when, where, and how to use Batch Simulator, and writing stream processes that implement multiple interfaces for local & z/OS execution.  I do not claim to have mastered WebSphere Batch, but so far, I like what I see. 

One of the challenges I'm dealing with now is understanding if & how WebSphere Batch interacts with SMS on z/OS.  The legacy systems I deal with sometimes received their input from cataloged z/OS datasets.  When I use BDS ZFileRecordOrientatedDataWriter to create output files, SMS places these files on work packs, so they are immediately purged over-night.  It would be great to be able to route these output files to a specified storage class, as is done with traditional JCL, so they stay around long enough to be used by down-stream legacy systems.  I have not yet learned how to do this with WebSphere Batch.  This is minor compared with major advances provided by WebSphere Batch.  Keep us the great work!