16 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-05T05:03:33Z by CognosGuy
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
374 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic InfoSphere Data Architect Naming Standard

‏2013-03-13T16:48:18Z |
Hi,

I'm creating a Glossary Model using InfoSphere Data Architect 8.5 and I have some doubts about Glossary and Naming Standard. First of all I haven't got information about the Alternative Abbreviation Column, when could I use it? When could I use Alternative Abbreviation Column instead of Abbreviation column? Is there any transformation rule for transforming to physical model from logical model for both columns using naming standard?

Another doubt is when I use Window-> Preferences-> Data Management ->Naming Standard->Other-physical, is it possible to create a new variable to using into primary key pattern or another pattern? If I click the "Add Variable" button I can only select {table} or {column} or nothing.

The last doubt is if it is possible to validate if there are two or more similar values into Abbreviation column as in the validation of Name column in Glossary.

Thanks a lot.

Cristina
Updated on 2013-03-26T01:36:48Z at 2013-03-26T01:36:48Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: InfoSphere Data Architect Naming Standard

‏2013-03-14T03:11:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

About your first question, "Alternative Abbreviation" is an alternative place to define an abbreviation for a word.
    The user can define the abbreviation for a word in "Abbreviation" or "Alternative Abbreviation" or both.
    If both abbreviations are defined, "Abbreviation" has a high priority during transformation.

Back to the naming rule during transforming a logical data model to a physical data model, it is that:
    #1 The "Abbreviation" defined in the LDM objects has the highest priority.
    For example, "ACC" has defined as the "abbreviation" for an Entity "ACCOUNT" in LDM.
    Then the according Table's name will be "ACC".
    #2 If the "Abbreviation" field in LDM is not defined , then based on the transform options, the corresponding logical data object's name or label will be used as the physical data object's name.
    And the words contained in the name or label will be transformed to their "Abbreviation" according to the glossary model.
    If the "Abbreviation" for a word is empty then its "Alternative Abbreviation" will be used.

About your last two questions, currently, we don't allow the user to create a new variable during editing the naming standard patterns.
    And there is no validation rule on abbreviation field to find similar values.
    Thanks,

Lu
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T08:37:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Lu,

it's already clear to me but now I have a problem with the column name in our physical model.

The issue is I have to use the next pattern for the column name: {table}_{column} and I can't select {table} variable in the naming standard pattern, so that the column name pattern is only {column} and it's not valid for us.
      Besides, I have to use next pattern for the view name: Vn{table} where n is a number as 1,2,3..., is this possible?

I have thought the possibility to use a pluget but before that I want to know if it's posssible by IDA

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Cristina
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T09:09:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

The two patterns :{table}_{column} and Vn{table} are not supported by IDA.

But for views , a similar pattern V{table}n is supported.

Thanks,

-Lu
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T10:53:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Lu,

and how? Because when I try to put the pattern V{table}n in Preferences window, IDA only lets me to select {table} variable and no more. How could I put the {number} variable?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Cristina
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T01:36:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

The {number} variable is appended to the pattern you defined in the preference page automatically.

Thanks,

• Lu
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-18T09:24:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Lu,

The naming standard defined in my entreprise for tables is the next one:

TBCLxxxx_xxxxxxxxxx

where TB is a two positions constraint and it's meaning is TABLE; CL is a two positions variable depends on the area table belongs to, in the example CL is CLIENT and the other four positions are the table name in the logical model (four possitions abbreviation). After that a '_' separator and other ten positions for a description if it's neccesary.For example: Life Cycle Direction State it would be : TBCLSTAT_DIR_LIFE_CYCLE. If the table belongs to Account Area for example and its abbreviation woul be AC, the result would be: TBACSTAT_DIR_LIFE_CYCLE.

I've tried to create some Business Term like : Table Client and abbreviation TBCL for implementing the first four characters but the result is:

TBCL_STAT_DIR_LIFE_CYCLE

and this is not possible because the firs eight characters are separated by "". If I eliminate the "" separator the result would be :

TBCLSTATDIRLIFECYCLE

and this is not possible, too.

Any idea how could I implement this pattern?It's no possible to change the standard because of tecnichal specifications in my enterprise.

Thanks Lu for your help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-19T05:27:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

There is a workaround to help the naming standard meets your requirement.

You can create some Business Term like : Table Client and abbreviation TBCL for implementing the first four characters.
    The generated table name may like that:TBCL_STAT_DIR_LIFE_CYCLE.

Then you can do a replace operation, replace all "TBCL_" string in the name field to "TBCL".
    After the replacement, the table name will be updated to: TBCLSTAT_DIR_LIFE_CYCLE.

If you any question on how to do the replace operation , please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Lu
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-19T10:56:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Lu,

For doing replace operation,would I have to using the Search->Search->Data Model Seach option selecting the .dbm proyect and replace TBLC_ by TBCL or is there an automatic procedure for it?

Thanks

Cristina
    • CognosGuy
      CognosGuy
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T07:18:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Lu,
          How do you get the term "Table Client" in the Logical Data Model to become TBCL. When i setup multiple word terms in the glossary, they are ignored when I transform in to a Physical Data Model.

Thanks

David

• qiulu
        qiulu
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T08:15:05Z  in response to CognosGuy

Hi David,

You can try this way:

1.Create a word and set its name to be "Table client" , its abbreviation to be "TBCL".

2. Go to the naming standard preference page by choosing  "Window - Preferences - Data Management - Naming standard"

3. Choose "Logical" tab and then set "Separator" to be "<Title Case>".

4.Then do the transformation again.

Notes: If you want the glossary model works, please make sure the abbreviation field in LDM is empty.

Thanks,

Lu

• CognosGuy
          CognosGuy
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-05T02:23:33Z  in response to qiulu

Lu, i tried this approach but it did not transform the multiple word "word" into the appropriate abbreviation. What it did do though is transform abbreviations in the LDM object (eg NASA) into N_A_S_A .

I also tried setting the glossary word to type BUSINESS_TERM. This did not work either. 

Thanks

• qiulu
            qiulu
            3 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-05T03:24:09Z  in response to CognosGuy

Hi David,

If "Separator" is set to be "<Title Case>" then NASA will be recognized as four words: N, A, S, A.

Since with this setting, capital letters will be used to split objects' names.

That's why NASA is transformed to "N_A_S_A".

If you want transform multiple word "word" into the appropriate abbreviation, please try the way Rob and Tao provided in another thread.

The key point is type for a multiple word should be set to " BUSINESS_TERM ".

This should be work.

Thanks,

• CognosGuy
              CognosGuy
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-05T05:03:33Z  in response to qiulu

The BUSINESS_TERM setting in the glossary is not performing the abbreviation for multiple word terms. If this is now a problem with IDA I can raise it with support.

Thanks for evreyones help. 

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-20T02:04:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

You need to use the Search->Search->Data Model Seach option selecting the .dbm proyect and replace TBLC_ by TBCL.

Also you can write a pluglet to do this job.

Thanks,

-Lu
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-25T14:33:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Lu,

I'm using the TB{table} pattern for some table names, by example: TBCLIENT where TB is a constant.

If I use the index pattern: {table}_IDX, IDA gets TBCLIENT_IDX. Why? TB is a constant and {table} would be CLIENT only , so that , the index name would be : CLIENT_IDX. How can I avoid this item?

Thanks.

Cristina
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T01:36:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Cristina,

This works as design.
    Variable {table} in the index naming pattern means the whole table name and here the whole table name is TBCLIENT and CLIENT only part of the table name.

And if you want to name your index only with part of the table name, like CLIENT_IDX, you can try to use IDA search and replace function to implement it, replace the constant by the empty string.

By the way, I suggest that before doing the replacement , please backup your models.

Thanks,

Lu