• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-14T15:42:55Z by andresmgs
andresmgs
andresmgs
5 Posts

Pinned topic WebSphere App Server - change password to WAS Windows Service

‏2013-03-12T21:23:41Z |
Hello everyone.

I am working on solve an issue with a WAS service running on Windows. We need to change the password of admin accounts (that includes wasadmin account), but after we changed that password, the Windows Service is no longer able to stop the server.

If I send the stopServer.bat server1 command, it works fine though.

How can I send to the Windows service the new wasadmin password, so I can continue using the service through Windows service console?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Andres.
Updated on 2013-03-14T15:42:55Z at 2013-03-14T15:42:55Z by andresmgs
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

Re: WebSphere App Server - change password to WAS Windows Service

‏2013-03-13T00:39:02Z  
    > andresmgs wrote:
    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I am working on solve an issue with a WAS service running on Windows. We need to change the password of admin accounts (that includes wasadmin account), but after we changed that password, the Windows Service is no longer able to stop the server.
    >
    > If I send the stopServer.bat server1 command, it works fine though.
    >
    > How can I send to the Windows service the new wasadmin password, so I can continue using the service through Windows service console?
    >

This should be the same password that is accessible in the native service control manager (services.msc) UI in Windows.
  • andresmgs
    andresmgs
    5 Posts

‏2013-03-13T14:50:50Z  
    > andresmgs wrote:
    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I am working on solve an issue with a WAS service running on Windows. We need to change the password of admin accounts (that includes wasadmin account), but after we changed that password, the Windows Service is no longer able to stop the server.
    >
    > If I send the stopServer.bat server1 command, it works fine though.
    >
    > How can I send to the Windows service the new wasadmin password, so I can continue using the service through Windows service console?
    >

This should be the same password that is accessible in the native service control manager (services.msc) UI in Windows.
    ecovener wrote:

Hi Eric. Thanks for your answer.

That should be the right configuration. And that is what I am looking for: a command to update the new wasadmin password within the parameters the Windows' Services UI uses to stop the application server.

So far, I tried to update the soap.client.props file within WAS but that did not update the password used by Windows' Services UI.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards, Andres.
  • Sunit
    Sunit
    207 Posts

‏2013-03-13T15:31:55Z  
    • andresmgs
    • ‏2013-03-13T14:50:50Z
    ecovener wrote:

Hi Eric. Thanks for your answer.

That should be the right configuration. And that is what I am looking for: a command to update the new wasadmin password within the parameters the Windows' Services UI uses to stop the application server.

So far, I tried to update the soap.client.props file within WAS but that did not update the password used by Windows' Services UI.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards, Andres.
    It seems we are talking about two different (functionally) Ids. Physically they could be the same but do not have to be.

First ID is used by windows to run the service itself. Typically this ID will have to have admin privileges to start and stop the service. In windows you can right click on the service and select properties, select the logon tab and change the password.

Second ID is used only in case you have enabled administrative security in WAS. If you have then the password for that ID needs to go in soap.client.props and the ID that runs the windows service should use (have access to) this soap.client.props

You can debug this issue by checking windows logs and WAS logs. If the password is wrong as defined to the windows service then you will see errors in windows event viewer, whereas authentication error within WAS will be seen in SystemOut and SystemError.

--Sunit
  • andresmgs
    andresmgs
    5 Posts

‏2013-03-13T16:00:44Z  
    • Sunit
    • ‏2013-03-13T15:31:55Z
    It seems we are talking about two different (functionally) Ids. Physically they could be the same but do not have to be.

First ID is used by windows to run the service itself. Typically this ID will have to have admin privileges to start and stop the service. In windows you can right click on the service and select properties, select the logon tab and change the password.

Second ID is used only in case you have enabled administrative security in WAS. If you have then the password for that ID needs to go in soap.client.props and the ID that runs the windows service should use (have access to) this soap.client.props

You can debug this issue by checking windows logs and WAS logs. If the password is wrong as defined to the windows service then you will see errors in windows event viewer, whereas authentication error within WAS will be seen in SystemOut and SystemError.

--Sunit
    Thanks for your comment, Sunit.

My apologies for not clarify that. I am looking for change the second ID you are talking about. The authentication errors appear in WAS logs, this is a small piece of that log after I send a stopServer by using Windows Services UI:

3/12/13 16:20:05:806 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU0111E: Program exiting with error: javax.management.JMRuntimeException: ADMN0022E: Access is denied for the stop operation on Server MBean because of insufficient or empty credentials.
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnectorClient.handleAdminFault(SOAPConnectorClient.java:933)
    3/12/13 16:20:05:806 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU4113E: Verify that username and password information is correct. If running tool from the command line, pass in the correct -username and -password. Alternatively, update the <conntype>.client.props file.
    3/12/13 16:20:05:994 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU1211I: To obtain a full trace of the failure, use the -trace option.
    3/12/13 16:20:05:994 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU0211I: Error details may be seen in the file: E:\IBM\tivoli\tipv2\profiles\TIPProfile\logs\server1\stopServer.log

Again, by using the command-line the application server stops succesfully.

Regards, Andres.
  • Sunit
    Sunit
    207 Posts

‏2013-03-13T16:49:18Z  
    • andresmgs
    • ‏2013-03-13T16:00:44Z
    Thanks for your comment, Sunit.

My apologies for not clarify that. I am looking for change the second ID you are talking about. The authentication errors appear in WAS logs, this is a small piece of that log after I send a stopServer by using Windows Services UI:

3/12/13 16:20:05:806 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU0111E: Program exiting with error: javax.management.JMRuntimeException: ADMN0022E: Access is denied for the stop operation on Server MBean because of insufficient or empty credentials.
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnectorClient.handleAdminFault(SOAPConnectorClient.java:933)
    3/12/13 16:20:05:806 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU4113E: Verify that username and password information is correct. If running tool from the command line, pass in the correct -username and -password. Alternatively, update the <conntype>.client.props file.
    3/12/13 16:20:05:994 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU1211I: To obtain a full trace of the failure, use the -trace option.
    3/12/13 16:20:05:994 GMT-05:00 00000000 AdminTool A ADMU0211I: Error details may be seen in the file: E:\IBM\tivoli\tipv2\profiles\TIPProfile\logs\server1\stopServer.log

Again, by using the command-line the application server stops succesfully.

Regards, Andres.
    When you use the commandline are you passing the id and password as arguments? Or, it is using the correct soap.client.props?

It is possible that the windows service is not reading the correct soap.client.props file. Also check if the ID that is being used to run the service has read access to props file.

One option to fix this is to remove the windows service and add a new one with correct parameters using wasservice.exe

--Sunit
  • andresmgs
    andresmgs
    5 Posts

‏2013-03-14T15:42:55Z  
    • Sunit
    • ‏2013-03-13T16:49:18Z
    When you use the commandline are you passing the id and password as arguments? Or, it is using the correct soap.client.props?

It is possible that the windows service is not reading the correct soap.client.props file. Also check if the ID that is being used to run the service has read access to props file.

One option to fix this is to remove the windows service and add a new one with correct parameters using wasservice.exe

--Sunit
    Thanks for your answer and suggestions, Sunit.

The issue has been resolved by creating a new Windows service for that app server.

Regards, Andres.