Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-08-08T13:22:35Z by sgsiebers
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1245 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Streams Studio (v3) on CentOS 5.9 crash ...

‏2013-03-12T15:37:34Z |
I am working on Streams 3 on CentOS 5.8 for about two monthes, everything worked fine until recently I updated CentOS to 5.9 (simply using "yum update"), then when working on Streams Studio, it crashes when the mouse hovering on any source code in SPL Editor for contents tips. Attached is the log file containing the stack trace information for the crash. I was able to reproduce the problem on another CentOS 5.9 with a fresh installed Streams 3 and Streams Studio. I am wondering if anybody here was familiar with such a problem, any suggestions would be really appreciated!!

(I realized that the Streams Studio included in the Streams 3 package was bounded with Eclipse 3.6, probably CentOS 5.9 didn't support some features used by Eclipse 3.6, just my random guess.)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1245 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Streams Studio (v3) on CentOS 5.9 crash ...

‏2013-03-12T17:08:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    According to the attached log file, you using OpenJDK, which is not supported. Can you please install the support JDK and try again?

Here is a link to the pre-requisites page for Streams Studio, which lists the supported JDK: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.studio.doc%2Freference%2Frinstall-studio-prerequisites.html

Mary
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1245 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T21:02:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you have updated your system recently, then it may also have updated XULRunner to a version that is not compatible with Eclipse 3.6.2. The XULRunner incompatibility problem is documented in this tech note: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21592804

Mary
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1245 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-18T17:14:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Yes, it could be the problem on the xulrunner. However, before I try to install a lower version of xulrunner, I installed Eclipse 3.7.2 and then installed Streams Studio plug-in on this Eclipse, without modifying anything else, the previous crash problem didn't happen any more and everything worked fine as normal, but, when I switched back to using the Streams Studio included in the Streams 3 package, instead of using the Eclipse, it still crashed whenever the mouse hovers on any SPL source code in SPL Editor.

Thanks for your responses. Downgrade the version of xulrunner might solve the problem on the Streams Studio, I would like to give it a try! Thanks again for your useful suggestions!
      • AaronHoffer
        AaronHoffer
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-05T17:29:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Trying to get Streams up and running on CentOS 6.4.

Running into the same problem. Installed Streams v3.1.

Streams Studio starts, but crashes the JVM when I try ti use it. See attached file.

Here is my version of xul runner:

Name        : xulrunner
        Arch        : x86_64
        Version     : 17.0.7
        Release     : 1.el6.centos

I'm not sure I can install I different version. I am not a yum expert, but I did not see a different version of the package available. I tried downloading xul runner from Mozilla and run its installer, but I'm missing dependencies and didn't want to go down that messy road.

I installed a newer version of Eclipse 3, but when I went to look for the streams plug-in, I couldn't find it. I looked for the directory named "eclipse" in /opt/ibm/InfoSphereStreams and didn't find it.

Where can I get the streams plug-in?

Attachments

• danlopezv
          danlopezv
          22 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-06T18:57:03Z  in response to AaronHoffer

Open the following link and follow the instructions.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21592804

Note that you don't need to downgrade the xulrunner version that you currently have. You just need to extract xulrunner-1.9.2 (provided in the link) then update streamsStudio.ini file adding the following line

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=path-to-XULRunner

and then from the xulrunner directory you just extracted run the following command: (Registering XULRunner persists across system and Stream Studio restarts)

For all users: ./xulrunner --register-global

For individual user: ./xulrunner --register-user

If you're doing it for all users extract xulrunner in a directory accessible to all users (e.g. /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2)

- Daniel Lopez

• AaronHoffer
            AaronHoffer
            9 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T17:52:03Z  in response to danlopezv

Works like a charm. I would have never figured this out on my own.

• sgsiebers
              sgsiebers
              13 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-08T13:22:35Z  in response to AaronHoffer

I ran into the same problem on RHEL 6.4 the other day and (before I came across this forum post) found a different workaround by telling Eclipse to use Webkit rather Mozilla/Xulrunner to render SWT browser surfaces.  Simply do the following:

(Install webkit for GTK...assuming the have a yum repository setup that contains the necessary package)

yum install webkitgtk

Add the following line to your streamsStudio.ini file:
              -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.UseWebKitGTK=true