• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-11T09:16:39Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
374 Posts

Pinned topic How best to structure an Enterprise Data Model in IDA

‏2013-03-08T12:42:31Z |
Hi All,

We're just setting off on the path of entering our Enterprise Data Model in to IDA v7.6 (distributed with InfoSphere Foundation tools v8.7). There appears a couple of alternatives for structuring this (open to other ideas if there are better alternatives):

a) One project containing many data models
Each of the data models would address a subject area/class e.g. Agreement, Party, Finance, Product Specification, Role etc...
This approach requires entities to be shared across models.
Each model will most likely end up with multiple packages and sub-packages

b) One project containing one logical data model (and many packages)
The one data model would then contain many packages and sub-packages.
Each package would address a subject area/class e.g. Agreement, Party, Finance, Product Specification, Role etc...

The other factor to consider is that we are using Subversion for source control and wonder which approach will be easiest to manage, especially if we implement branching/merging?

I'm interested in others experience and views for what works best?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Graham
Updated on 2013-03-11T09:16:39Z at 2013-03-11T09:16:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • jyeh
    jyeh
    39 Posts

Re: How best to structure an Enterprise Data Model in IDA

‏2013-03-08T19:10:45Z  
    Hi Graham,

First of all, IDA 8.1 and 8.5 are newer. It would be better that you can upgrade your IDA to this new level.

In my opinion, the first approach is preferable. You will enjoy much better performance by having small models. Since diagrams take most of the space, I would separate the diagrams into diagram-only models.

It is more than just creating many models. The structuring of the models requires careful planning. Opening a model will also open the related models. You don't want to end up opening the rest of the models just by opening one of the models.

Joseph
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts

Re: How best to structure an Enterprise Data Model in IDA

‏2013-03-11T09:16:39Z  
    Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply, this certainly gives me some good pointers on structuring our models.

From the small amount of work I've done with IDA so far, I haven't run in to any real performance issues, so I'm wondering has anyone got any guidance as to reasonable size thresholds for individual models e.g. number of entities and attributes? Or even if there are any papers on it? I understand that it won't be that straightfoward as there will be other factors such as related models etc. It's not often you get to do things like this on a greensite so keen to learn from others.

Regards,
    Graham