• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-10T01:33:07Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1192 Posts

Pinned topic HATS licensing question

‏2013-03-08T03:34:28Z |
Hi,

From what I have read, when I purchase HATS, it also comes with a "restricted websphere application server network deployment license" so I can deploy the app to WAS. Can someone please explain that license in more detail, especially what is restricted about it?

My scenario is this- I would like to enable my HATS license and export my .ear file to then be deployed on a WAS instance at a hosting company. Is that feasible?

Thanks very much for your help!
Updated on 2013-03-10T01:33:07Z at 2013-03-10T01:33:07Z by SystemAdmin
  • tmparker
    tmparker
    519 Posts

Re: HATS licensing question

‏2013-03-08T06:43:43Z  
    WebSphere Application Server is bundled with the HATS runtime for distributed platform deployments. There is an exception for z/OS where WAS must be purchased separately and for IBM i where WAS Express is bundled with the Operating System. The restricted part of the license means that WAS can be used for HATS only and no other enterprise apps can be deployed on this instance of WAS.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1192 Posts

‏2013-03-08T14:13:55Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2013-03-08T06:43:43Z
    WebSphere Application Server is bundled with the HATS runtime for distributed platform deployments. There is an exception for z/OS where WAS must be purchased separately and for IBM i where WAS Express is bundled with the Operating System. The restricted part of the license means that WAS can be used for HATS only and no other enterprise apps can be deployed on this instance of WAS.
    Hi Tim!

Thanks for your reply. That certainly clarifies things a lot but, hoping that I do not sound like a complete idiot, I have just a couple more questions.

You wrote, tmparker wrote:
    WAS can be used for HATS only and no other enterprise apps can be deployed on this instance of WAS

Then that means by buying HATS I could either:

1. Host WAS myself on my own physical server and run my HATS app (don't really want to but seems like an option)
    2. Use a hosting service like Rackspace and simply install WAS and HATS on my portion of a shared physical server OR do the same on a private physical server such that in either of those two cases mine was the only app running on my instance.

Does either or both of those sound correct?

Lastly, as far as the actual mechanics of it go, after buying HATS, do I then download the WAS trial and install it (on Windows)? How do I enable the WAS license to run my licensed HATS app or does it pick up from the HATS .ear that I have a restricted HATS license so I'm good to go and don't need to do anything to WAS?

Again, thanks very much Tim for the help you have given me!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1192 Posts

‏2013-03-10T00:21:18Z  
    Hi Tim!

Thanks for your reply. That certainly clarifies things a lot but, hoping that I do not sound like a complete idiot, I have just a couple more questions.

You wrote, tmparker wrote:
    WAS can be used for HATS only and no other enterprise apps can be deployed on this instance of WAS

Then that means by buying HATS I could either:

1. Host WAS myself on my own physical server and run my HATS app (don't really want to but seems like an option)
    2. Use a hosting service like Rackspace and simply install WAS and HATS on my portion of a shared physical server OR do the same on a private physical server such that in either of those two cases mine was the only app running on my instance.

Does either or both of those sound correct?

Lastly, as far as the actual mechanics of it go, after buying HATS, do I then download the WAS trial and install it (on Windows)? How do I enable the WAS license to run my licensed HATS app or does it pick up from the HATS .ear that I have a restricted HATS license so I'm good to go and don't need to do anything to WAS?

Again, thanks very much Tim for the help you have given me!
    Both of those scenarios are correct.

When you purchase HATS, you'll likely download it the from Passport Advantage web site. Your sales rep can help you with that. You do not need to download a "trial" version of WAS. WAS does not have a separate license that you need to enable. With HATS, you'll download your HATS enablement licenses (a .jar file), and run the enablement wizard in the HATS toolkit.

Another note about licenses:

HATS is commonly licensed by either the number of users accessing your HATS app, or by the number of processor cores in your server. The general rule is if its under 1000 users, go with authorized users. If its more, go with server licensing. If you are connecting to a mainframe, you'll buy "HATS for Mulitplatform". If you're connecting to an i, then you'll buy either "HATS for 5250 on Multiplatform", or "HATS for 5250 on System i". The latter does not include a WAS license, and assumes you are running HATS on the included WAS license of System i operating system.

Kenny Smith
    http://about.me/smithkenny
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1192 Posts

‏2013-03-10T01:33:07Z  
    Both of those scenarios are correct.

When you purchase HATS, you'll likely download it the from Passport Advantage web site. Your sales rep can help you with that. You do not need to download a "trial" version of WAS. WAS does not have a separate license that you need to enable. With HATS, you'll download your HATS enablement licenses (a .jar file), and run the enablement wizard in the HATS toolkit.

Another note about licenses:

HATS is commonly licensed by either the number of users accessing your HATS app, or by the number of processor cores in your server. The general rule is if its under 1000 users, go with authorized users. If its more, go with server licensing. If you are connecting to a mainframe, you'll buy "HATS for Mulitplatform". If you're connecting to an i, then you'll buy either "HATS for 5250 on Multiplatform", or "HATS for 5250 on System i". The latter does not include a WAS license, and assumes you are running HATS on the included WAS license of System i operating system.

Kenny Smith
    http://about.me/smithkenny
    Thanks Kenny,

It's nice to know I have two viable scenarios. Trying to do the development as well as figuring out how to host the app is running me ragged! ;-)

I'll be connecting to a 3270 host but I'm not quite sure what exactly constitutes an "authorized user". Is an authorized user each username/password pair that I enter into HATS to connect to the 3270 host or if I am using web services with HATS, is each request for the web service an authorized user? As I write that, it seems to me it must be the username/password pair but I figure I'd ask anyway to make sure.

And sounds like the HATS enablement .jar takes care of the WAS licensing as well, meaning that I do not need to install anything on WAS itself, just deploy my HATS app, right?

Thanks Kenny for the help! I'm learnable ;-)