• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-04T15:13:49Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
340 Posts

Pinned topic SunOS Agent Self-Update: Installation in global zone & containers

‏2013-03-07T16:54:11Z |
Hi,

I've configured LMT for self-update for all agents. All update correctly except systems with SunOS global zone.

The strange thing happens with systems were I have a global zone and containers. In these cases, LMT upgrades the agent on each container, but not on the global zone.

How can I force LMT on self-update to upgrade all agents on a global zone and containers?

Regards

Frederico Martins
Updated on 2013-04-04T15:13:49Z at 2013-04-04T15:13:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

Re: SunOS Agent Self-Update: Installation in global zone & containers

‏2013-04-04T09:23:00Z  
    Hi Frederico,

Please mind, that agent self-update is not supported for agents that were installed using the shell installer.
    Additionally, agent self-update is not supported on the following platforms:
    • HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC
    • IBM® i
    • Linux with kernel version 2.4.21-47
    • Solaris local zones, and global zones (with existing local zones)

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2013-04-04T09:39:56Z  
    Hi Frederico,

Please mind, that agent self-update is not supported for agents that were installed using the shell installer.
    Additionally, agent self-update is not supported on the following platforms:
    • HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC
    • IBM® i
    • Linux with kernel version 2.4.21-47
    • Solaris local zones, and global zones (with existing local zones)

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
    Hi,

It partially answers my questions, but it raises just two more.

1-What is the alternative method of installing using a shell installer? Is it by package install?
    2-How is it possible to manage a Solaris infrastructure of about 100 servers with local zones and 50 more with global and local zones? And when I mean manage, I refer to update agents of course.

Regards,

Frederico
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2013-04-04T13:48:14Z  
    Hi,

It partially answers my questions, but it raises just two more.

1-What is the alternative method of installing using a shell installer? Is it by package install?
    2-How is it possible to manage a Solaris infrastructure of about 100 servers with local zones and 50 more with global and local zones? And when I mean manage, I refer to update agents of course.

Regards,

Frederico
    Hi,

Ad 1. In general agent installation step you can perform by one of the following action:
    • Install using Tivoli Configuration Manager
    • Install using native installers
      • Install on AIX
      • Install on HP-UX
      • Install on Linux
      • Install on Solaris
      • Install on IBM i
      • Install on Windows with a wizard
      • Install on Windows silently
      • Install with Windows logon scripts
    • Install using shell installers

Ad 2. When Solaris zones are excluded from self-update functionality, in my opinion this task could be accomplish in the easiest way by using shell installers from global zones. I believe having big Solaris infrastructure to administer, you must have some automation implemented, so creating appropriate script should be doable task.

By the way, it seems that having better mechanism of agent update on Solarises is quite important for you. Therefore I encourage you to open Request for Enhancement record for it. All the details you will find here:
    Request for Enhancement - Have an impact on ILMT!!!

As soon as you decide to do this, please insert RFE's number here, to allow other members of forum community to support your idea in the RFE tool.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

Updated on 2013-04-04T13:48:14Z at 2013-04-04T13:48:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

Re: SunOS Self-Update: Installation in global zone & containers - RFE 32040

‏2013-04-04T15:05:07Z  
    Hi,

Ad 1. In general agent installation step you can perform by one of the following action:
    • Install using Tivoli Configuration Manager
    • Install using native installers
      • Install on AIX
      • Install on HP-UX
      • Install on Linux
      • Install on Solaris
      • Install on IBM i
      • Install on Windows with a wizard
      • Install on Windows silently
      • Install with Windows logon scripts
    • Install using shell installers

Ad 2. When Solaris zones are excluded from self-update functionality, in my opinion this task could be accomplish in the easiest way by using shell installers from global zones. I believe having big Solaris infrastructure to administer, you must have some automation implemented, so creating appropriate script should be doable task.

By the way, it seems that having better mechanism of agent update on Solarises is quite important for you. Therefore I encourage you to open Request for Enhancement record for it. All the details you will find here:
    Request for Enhancement - Have an impact on ILMT!!!

As soon as you decide to do this, please insert RFE's number here, to allow other members of forum community to support your idea in the RFE tool.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

Hi,

I'm OK with the answers. A couple of weeks ago, I've opened a RFE (nº: 32040) at: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=32040 , regarding Solaris self-update.

If anyone is reading, that I would appreciate a lot of support and voting for development.

Regarding scripts, I'll look into it.

But I keep wondering why IBM has developed self-update for so many OS's and is striving with Solaris. What is the real deal here?
    Am I the only IBM client with this nightmare Solaris update?

Regards,

Frederico
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

Re: SunOS Self-Update: Installation in global zone & containers - RFE 32040

‏2013-04-04T15:13:49Z  
    Hi,

I'm OK with the answers. A couple of weeks ago, I've opened a RFE (nº: 32040) at: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=32040 , regarding Solaris self-update.

If anyone is reading, that I would appreciate a lot of support and voting for development.

Regarding scripts, I'll look into it.

But I keep wondering why IBM has developed self-update for so many OS's and is striving with Solaris. What is the real deal here?
    Am I the only IBM client with this nightmare Solaris update?

Regards,

Frederico
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=32040