Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-18T00:24:13Z by Jasi
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
30895 Posts

Pinned topic Debugging portlets in IBM WebSphere Portal using Eclipse

‏2013-03-06T22:31:48Z |
Hi, I am currently developing a portlet which will be deployed in IBM WebSphere Portal Server. Just wanted to know if there is a way to debug my portlet in IBM WebSphere through Eclipse? I am able to install and debug an Enterprise Application project on a WebSphere Application Server. I tried creating a new Server Runtime Environment for the Portal Server but environments in my Eclipse do not have an IBM WebSphere Portal option. Is there a free plugin that I can install in my Eclipse to debug my portlet at runtime? Any information is appreciated.
Updated on 2013-03-18T00:24:13Z at 2013-03-18T00:24:13Z by Jasi
  • Jasi
    Jasi
    241 Posts

Re: Debugging portlets in IBM WebSphere Portal using Eclipse

‏2013-03-07T01:08:23Z  
    IBM Rational Application Developer is the tool you are looking for but it isn't free.
    As far as I know there is no "free plugin" that exists for eclipse today.
    However, there may be some options out there to work your way around. Let me see if I can find some.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2013-03-07T01:19:10Z  
    • Jasi
    • ‏2013-03-07T01:08:23Z
    IBM Rational Application Developer is the tool you are looking for but it isn't free.
    As far as I know there is no "free plugin" that exists for eclipse today.
    However, there may be some options out there to work your way around. Let me see if I can find some.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have seen some articles about debugging portlets using IBM RAD, but I am currently using Eclipse and it would be very helpful if I make it to work in Eclipse IDE even though it is a workaround.
  • Jasi
    Jasi
    241 Posts

‏2013-03-07T09:44:26Z  
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have seen some articles about debugging portlets using IBM RAD, but I am currently using Eclipse and it would be very helpful if I make it to work in Eclipse IDE even though it is a workaround.
    Here is an option for you ...
    start the server in debug mode and attach the eclipse debugger to the server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2013-03-10T22:33:24Z  
    • Jasi
    • ‏2013-03-07T09:44:26Z
    Hi Jasi, I have started the server in debug mode.

When you say "attached the eclipse debugger to the server" can I use the WebSphere Application Server plugin to attach Eclipse to the Portal server?

I have a war project which is included in an Enterprise Application Project. Then, the enterprise project is deployed on the WebSphere Application Server plugin, which is connected to my WAS Server.

I can see my portlet in the IBM Web Admin Console with context root as "/wps/<project_name>", but I couldn't see the file in my Portal Admin. I couldn't include it on my Portal page.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2013-03-17T21:26:46Z  
    • Jasi
    • ‏2013-03-07T09:44:26Z
    I was able to debug my project last week already. I found out the wrong thing I did. The Web Application Server was not listening to the port for debugging. After setting the correct port configuration it all worked out well. Planning to integrate XmlAccess to automatically deploy the project to the WAS server after successful compilation.

Thanks for the quick tip!
  • Jasi
    Jasi
    241 Posts

‏2013-03-18T00:24:13Z  
    I was able to debug my project last week already. I found out the wrong thing I did. The Web Application Server was not listening to the port for debugging. After setting the correct port configuration it all worked out well. Planning to integrate XmlAccess to automatically deploy the project to the WAS server after successful compilation.

Thanks for the quick tip!
    Hey, I apologize for missing your post.
    Anyway I'm glad it worked out great for you!