Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
14 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T12:02:58Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
139 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic VPK4D + VmWare ESXi 3.5 :- VM just seems to reboot in a loop

‏2013-03-06T17:24:11Z |
I am able to deploy a pattern to VMWare ESXi as my hypervisor using VPK4D, but after it copies the VM across, I am stuck at 60%, and
the new VM seems to just reboot continously.

I tried a database pattern as well as a simple web application. The same behaviour in both cases.

I'll try and see if I can get any info from the Logs on from the VP4DK VM, but has anyone else run into this sort of issue as well ?

Thanks
Updated on 2013-03-15T12:02:58Z at 2013-03-15T12:02:58Z by SystemAdmin
  • morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: VPK4D + VmWare ESXi 3.5 :- VM just seems to reboot in a loop

‏2013-03-07T15:10:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

Are you working with a SCAWS deployment or a standalone instance?

If standalone you should post in the general SCE forum.

//Rich
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      139 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T15:29:14Z  in response to morganri
      Hi Richard,

This is for the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers on a standalone VMWare machine, and not on the cloud / SCE or SCAWS.

I thought this was the correct forum for VPK4D, as it was linked from the Virtual Pattern Kit page on DW.

Thanks
      Shahed
  • binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T15:57:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

Did you follow the Installation guide? - as only VMWare ESX 4.1 and ESXi 4.1 or 5 are supported.

Deployments hanging can be caused when the VPDK has not been fully configured. You must ensured that you have configured the DNS and NTP server as set out in the installation guide? You also need ensure the ESX host also has NTP configuration as the VPDK and ESX host need to be in time sync. for deployments to correctly work.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      139 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T16:09:36Z  in response to binnes
      Hi ,

Yes I did follow the installation guide closely, and am running the Kit on ESXi 4.1

I cannot add the same ESXi 4.1 instance as a hypervisor.
      It gives me a Security Error, and in the logs it looks like it cannot get the version info from the web services API call,
      and there are other java exceptions like

(I did accept the certificate as well)
      2013-03-06 18:00:56:830 UTC 00001235 ? R info ismanager:F, userid:root, certified:T, created:1362592849617, name:Fog, currentstatus:RM01025, desiredstatus:RM01025, currentmessage:RM03174, auxrecordid:5, cloudid:0, attachvolumes:T, address:https://10.1.7.9/sdk, type:ESX, id:4, password:136259284959318, updated:1362592853861
      2013-03-06 18:00:58:196 UTC 00008481 groovy E app.scripts.groovy.rainmaker.cloud.VMSupportAccess.groovy CWZCL3151E: An access attempt failed for hypervisor ID 4, address https://10.1.7.9/sdk. A query of the hypervisor failed.
      2013-03-06 18:00:58:197 UTC 00008481 ? R java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.ibm.venture.vm.BadCommandException: Security error shim=Shim39 endpoint=4 localizedMessage="RM14128" causeType=com.ibm.venture.vmware.sdk.vim25.RestrictedVersion cause=fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

Although it does pick up another older VMWare 3.5 ESXi machine as a Hypervisor.

On the 3.5i VMWare machine, the target vm is deployed, but then runs into problems with vmware tools as it cannot find vmxnet / pcnet32
      in /proc/modules. (I see these errors by viewing the console in the vSphere client for the hypervisor).
      The docs do not seem to make it clear that the Kit and Hypervisors need to be on different boxes, and yes I am running NTP and DNS / revers DNS for the IP groups etc.

Thanks
      Shahed
  • binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T16:37:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

It looks like the problem with the ESXi 4.1 is that you have no license - restrictedVersionFault is usually related to running the free version of ESXi. The free version does not allow the level of functionality that VPDK needs. You either need to be running on a fully licensed version or be within the free 60-day trial license period.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      139 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T17:01:40Z  in response to binnes
      I do have a licencs key

This is what my vSphere client shows :-

Product: vSphere 4 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)
      License Key: NM4C3-AE113-xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
      Expires: Never

Product Features:
      Up to 256 GB of memory
      Up to 4-way virtual SMP

This is the FREE ESXi 4.1 version, without all the fancy vCenter features... just the hypervisor.
      And its strange that my other free Hypervisor running ESXi 3.5 does get picked up....

I have a feeling that the WSDL / API version that the kit is using to talk to the management layer in ESXi is out of syn with one another.

Thanks
      Shahed
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        139 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T23:10:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I also seemed to recall seeing in the logs that there was an attempt to make what looks like a web service call to /sdk/webService.

I tested access to /sdk on my ESXi 4.1 system using SOAP UI, and can perform basic operations, so I know that at least the VMWare install is good and
        that web service calls can be made.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          139 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-07T23:14:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          This is the response that I get back using SOAPUI to a RetrieveServiceContext request :-
          I am not sure if either this is not being recognized as valid, or if the request itself is not getting across.

Thanks

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
          <soapenv:Body>
          <RetrieveServiceContentResponse xmlns="urn:vim25">
          <returnval>
          <rootFolder type="Folder">ha-folder-root</rootFolder>
          <propertyCollector type="PropertyCollector">ha-property-collector</propertyCollector>
          <viewManager type="ViewManager">ViewManager</viewManager>
          <about>
          <name>VMware ESXi</name>
          <fullName>VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-988178</fullName>
          <vendor>VMware, Inc.</vendor>
          <version>4.1.0</version>
          <build>988178</build>
          <localeVersion>INTL</localeVersion>
          <localeBuild>000</localeBuild>
          <osType>vmnix-x86</osType>
          <productLineId>embeddedEsx</productLineId>
          <apiType>HostAgent</apiType>
          <apiVersion>4.1</apiVersion>
          <licenseProductName>VMware ESX Server</licenseProductName>
          <licenseProductVersion>4.0</licenseProductVersion>
          </about>
          <setting type="OptionManager">HostAgentSettings</setting>
          <userDirectory type="UserDirectory">ha-user-directory</userDirectory>
          <sessionManager type="SessionManager">ha-sessionmgr</sessionManager>
          <authorizationManager type="AuthorizationManager">ha-authmgr</authorizationManager>
          <perfManager type="PerformanceManager">ha-perfmgr</perfManager>
          <eventManager type="EventManager">ha-eventmgr</eventManager>
          <taskManager type="TaskManager">ha-taskmgr</taskManager>
          <accountManager type="HostLocalAccountManager">ha-localacctmgr</accountManager>
          <diagnosticManager type="DiagnosticManager">ha-diagnosticmgr</diagnosticManager>
          <licenseManager type="LicenseManager">ha-license-manager</licenseManager>
          <searchIndex type="SearchIndex">ha-searchindex</searchIndex>
          <fileManager type="FileManager">ha-nfc-file-manager</fileManager>
          <virtualDiskManager type="VirtualDiskManager">ha-vdiskmanager</virtualDiskManager>
          <ovfManager type="OvfManager">ha-ovf-manager</ovfManager>
          <dvSwitchManager type="DistributedVirtualSwitchManager">ha-dvsmanager</dvSwitchManager>
          <storageResourceManager type="StorageResourceManager">ha-storage-resource-manager</storageResourceManager>
          </returnval>
          </RetrieveServiceContentResponse>
          </soapenv:Body>
          </soapenv:Envelope>
      • binnes
        binnes
        21 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T10:24:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello,

As I said in my previous post the free version of ESXi is not supported.

Going back to the error trace you provided :

2013-03-06 18:00:58:197 UTC 00008481 ? R java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.ibm.venture.vm.BadCommandException: Security error shim=Shim39 endpoint=4 localizedMessage="RM14128" causeType=com.ibm.venture.vmware.sdk.vim25.RestrictedVersion cause=fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

If you do an internet search on the error you are getting (restrictedversion vmware ESXi 4.1) you will find many posts explaining that the VMWare APIs in VMWare ESXi are restricted to read only operations when running in free mode.

As VPDK needs to manage the ESXi host and be able to upload content to the datastore, deploy, start, stop and delete virtual machines it needs to have full access to the VMWare APIs.

If you setup an ESXi host and leave it in 60 day trial mode you will be able to connect VPDK to the host.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          139 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T10:29:23Z  in response to binnes
          Ah ok thanks !

I was not aware that there was a non-free version of ESXi as I thought it was always free, but I think
          what that means is that it would be the ESXi version that is part of the full vCenter product range which is not free.

So now it does make sense.

Thanks again
          Shahed
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            139 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T11:00:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Can you confirm if the issue has been resolved?
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              139 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T11:10:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Yes sorry.. thought I did tick the box which said question has been answered :-)
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                139 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T11:12:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Also wanted to add that it looks like Management capabilities were somehow open in VMWare ESXi 3.5 by vmware and then locked down again.

I am going to try and upgrade my VMWare to vSphere Essential to see if that will help my issue of VP4DK not being able to write to ESXi.

Thanks
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  139 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T12:02:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Just in case it helps anyone, I was able to successfully deploy VPK4D against a VMWare 60 day trial ESXi 5.1 running within a VMWare desktop on a Win 7 PC with 8 GB RAM.

There are some settings available to enable nested virtulization, and after a few trial and errors I did get it to work eventually.

I tested deploying the sample web application and it works fine :-)