• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-16T02:12:56Z by RPrud
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
197 Posts

Pinned topic Create annotations with multivalued features

‏2013-03-06T10:11:10Z |
Hi,
is it possible to create UIMA annotation with multivalued features in Studio?

I have rules defined in ICA Studio that creates String feature of an annotation consisting multiple values separated by comma. Tried to split those values using field filters in ICA, but it didn't work for metadata filled in by Studio pipeline. So I'm trying to find out how to split multiple values in the feature directly in Studio.

Thanks
David
Updated on 2013-03-13T07:49:45Z at 2013-03-13T07:49:45Z by SystemAdmin
  • bfoyle
    bfoyle
    60 Posts

Re: Create annotations with multivalued features

‏2013-03-06T16:27:12Z  
    You can simply create multiple annotations in Studio and then point them to different facets in ICA. For example, you can have a date (01-01-2013) create both a date annotation with the covered text, a normalized date annotation, a month annotation, a year annotation, and a day ordinal annotation. These can all be pointed to different facets in ICA.

Bob
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts

‏2013-03-06T16:48:49Z  
    • bfoyle
    • ‏2013-03-06T16:27:12Z
    You can simply create multiple annotations in Studio and then point them to different facets in ICA. For example, you can have a date (01-01-2013) create both a date annotation with the covered text, a normalized date annotation, a month annotation, a year annotation, and a day ordinal annotation. These can all be pointed to different facets in ICA.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

thanks for pointing that out.
    Unfortunately, I don't want to split the value of the feature to different facets.

Lets think of it as if the annotated word is classified to several categories. So I need to store all of those categories in the category field. And to be able to view those categories in facets I need to split the value as I'm doing it using the field filter: Split this field value by the following delimiter.
    I don't know how to use more annotations for this purpose, since I found there remains always only one dictionary annotation on one word. Could one word be annotated by more parsing rule at once? So at the and there will be two annotations on that word?

Is there a possibility I am asking? Or do you know another workaround for this case?

Thanks
    David
  • bfoyle
    bfoyle
    60 Posts

‏2013-03-06T17:09:47Z  
    Hi Bob,

thanks for pointing that out.
    Unfortunately, I don't want to split the value of the feature to different facets.

Lets think of it as if the annotated word is classified to several categories. So I need to store all of those categories in the category field. And to be able to view those categories in facets I need to split the value as I'm doing it using the field filter: Split this field value by the following delimiter.
    I don't know how to use more annotations for this purpose, since I found there remains always only one dictionary annotation on one word. Could one word be annotated by more parsing rule at once? So at the and there will be two annotations on that word?

Is there a possibility I am asking? Or do you know another workaround for this case?

Thanks
    David
    I'm having difficulty visualizing what it is you are describing. Can you provide an example?

Typically, the same word and part of speech cannot be used in multiple dictionaries as it will fire on the first dictionary but not on the subsequent dictionaries.

If you have different usages driving different rules (for example, Alarm as a noun fires one category rule and Alarm as a verb fires a different category rule) then you can differentiate that way.

If a single dictionary is required, You can add multiple columns to a dictionary (category1, category2, etc)...and then map all of those to the same ICA facet which will provide an outcome which might meet your description.

Bob
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts

‏2013-03-13T07:49:45Z  
    • bfoyle
    • ‏2013-03-06T17:09:47Z
    I'm having difficulty visualizing what it is you are describing. Can you provide an example?

Typically, the same word and part of speech cannot be used in multiple dictionaries as it will fire on the first dictionary but not on the subsequent dictionaries.

If you have different usages driving different rules (for example, Alarm as a noun fires one category rule and Alarm as a verb fires a different category rule) then you can differentiate that way.

If a single dictionary is required, You can add multiple columns to a dictionary (category1, category2, etc)...and then map all of those to the same ICA facet which will provide an outcome which might meet your description.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

thanks for your answer.
    Unfortunatelly I'm not able to differentiate the words. So using single dictionary with multiple columns seems to be the workaround. Even if this is not the ideal solution.
    I thought it would be possible to use custom normalizer to split feature to create multivalued feature. Something like that is not possible?

Thanks
    David
  • RPrud
    RPrud
    1 Post

‏2014-01-16T02:12:56Z  

Hello There,

May be using a combination of annotator (parsing rule) and using a feature custom normalizer. Getting the pattern with the annotator, then passing the information obtained to the split custom normalizer.

In the attachment below you can get a Tutorial of how develop a custom normalizer.

Regards,

Roberto Prud'homme

Attachments