6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-05T20:39:36Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1192 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Running HATS under Geronimo

‏2013-03-05T04:40:28Z |
Hi,

Having read that HATS v8.5 supports running under Geronimo, I exported my EAR file and tried to deploy it via the Geronimo admin console. It complained about some of the security config in web.xml and since that all seemed to be related to the HATS admin console, I commented that out and re-exported. This time it complained it cannot find a class, specifically IBMRestServlet. I'm guessing that lives somewhere under WAS but have been unable to find it. My HATS project makes use of RESTful web services but it seems I cannot use them if I try to run it under Geronimo because of this. Is that correct? Or have I missed something?

Thanks very much for any help!
Updated on 2013-03-05T20:39:36Z at 2013-03-05T20:39:36Z by SystemAdmin
  • tmparker
    tmparker
    469 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Running HATS under Geronimo

‏2013-03-05T04:46:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Did you actually create a project targeted for Geronimo or did you create a project targeted for WAS and try to run it on Geronimo? Big difference and it will not work that way. Did you read the Developing HATS applications for the Apache Geronimo server section in the InfoCenter here, http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/hatshelp/v85/topic/com.ibm.hats.doc/doc/ugcreorg.htm?

Thanks
    Tim
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1192 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T14:53:09Z  in response to tmparker
      Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. I did read that section but apparently, not well enough! ;-)

I guess I did not fully appreciate by using the word "targeted" that more was implied than I thought. I'm kinda used to running something on Tomcat then with a few minor changes running it on Glassfish and so on. With this, however, it looks like there are some IBM specific classes which are no doubt already on the classpath for WAS that I presume must be exported as part of the project to run under Geronimo, hence targeting Geronimo at project creation?

Is it possible to take an existing project for WAS and change the target for it to Geronimo and vice-versa? Looks like I should be able to just change the server runtime, right?

And can I run a server independent of RAD and without WEP, just using the Geronimo admin console to deploy once I change the target runtime? WEP seems to only support Geronimo 2.2 and I'd like to use 3.0

Finally, I understand the HATS admin console not being available to run under Geronimo but can you confirm my scenario will work: hit RESTful webservice which invokes HATS macro to connect to 3270, extract data and return results via the web service to the caller?

Thanks very much Tim!
      • tmparker
        tmparker
        469 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T16:58:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You may be able to use your existing WAS project with some tweaking but I can't guarantee it. First, you would need to modify the project facets to include the Geronimo facet instead of the WAS facet. When it comes to web services, if your target server is Geronimo then the web service will get generated for Apache Axis. So if you already created the web service while targeted for WAS then you will need to remove that and create the web service again. My guess is that you should be ok running under Geronimo 3.0 but it was not available when we added support so we didn't test it. As far as I know your scenario should work on Geronimo.

Thanks
        Tim
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1192 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T20:01:23Z  in response to tmparker
          Excellent, thanks very much Tim! That is very good news indeed.

I think what I will do is:

1. Create a new project with Geronimo as the target
          2. Export the macros from the WAS project
          3. Import the macros into the Geronimo project
          4. Regenerate the Integration Objects from the macros in the Geronimo project
          5. Regenerate the RESTful web services from the IOs in the Geronimo project
          6. Test on Geronimo

Of those, the one I'm most concerned about it #3. Do you see any problems?

Could you also tell me what the IBMRestServlet does that Axis does not do? Just want to fully understand the trade-offs.

Again, thanks very much!
          • tmparker
            tmparker
            469 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T20:17:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            #3 is no concern. The macros have nothing to do with the target server, they are specific to HATS itself so there is no problem.

The main difference is that Geronimo only supports the Apache Axis implementation. I'm not sure what the other differences are other than the WAS web services use WAS classes which would not work on Geronimo.