Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-10T13:17:47Z by adbdkb
adbdkb
adbdkb
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Repository for Packaging Utility for WAS 8.5 for Developers

‏2013-03-02T12:52:05Z |
I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to find a repository that I can use with Packaging Utility to create a package ( local repository ) for Websphere 8.5 for Developers version.

I even tried this url - http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V85WASDeveloperILAN - mentioned on this forum as well as PPA.

The Websphere Application Server for Developers shows only 8.5.0.1 in the list. When I select the top level checkbox for the IBM Websphere Application Server for Developers, it auto-selects some other offereings too, but I always keep getting a warning as below

The update com.ibm.websphere.DEVELOPERS.v85_8.5.0.1 does not have its base offering (com.ibm.websphere.DEVELOPERS.v85.8.5.0.20120501_1108) or any other offering that can be used as a base offering in the open set of repositories. Artifacts required to successfully copy the update may be missing

What am I missing?

Thank you for any help
Updated on 2013-03-10T13:17:47Z at 2013-03-10T13:17:47Z by adbdkb
  • Scott Johnston
    Scott Johnston
    76 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Repository for Packaging Utility for WAS 8.5 for Developers

‏2013-03-04T17:28:37Z  in response to adbdkb
    The message you are seeing shows up when the repository to which Packaging Utility connects to does not contain the base (full) repository for an installation package. The way Package Utility works is that it reviews all the contents of the repository and then list the packages to which the content applies. So, for example, because the WAS for Developers ILAN repository includes fix pack 1. Therefore, the package names for all the other installation packages that those fixes apply to also get listed. That is why you also see items such as WebSphere Application Server and WebSphere Application Server Trial edition listed; the fixpack can be applied to those packages too. However, the repository only contains the installable data for the fixes, but does not have the code for installing WebSphere Application Server or WebSphere Application Server Trial.

There will also be several other supplementary offerings displayed in the list of contents. These others appear in the list because the WAS for Developers repository also has pointers to them. So, for instance, the WAS for Developers ILAN contains pointers to the base installation package for IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server (ILAN) offering. As such, you could create a local repository for those other offerings as well. However, if you tried to create a copy of the licensed edition of IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server, then the same message would appear because you have to use a different repository URL and credentials to access the licensed editions.

If you already have entitlement to a fully licensed edition of WebSphere Application Server and proper credentials, then you should be able to use Packaging Utility to connect to Passport Advantage (PPA) and create a repository for the fully licensed product offerings to which you are entitled.

Otherwise, the URLs to the Trial and ILAN editions of offerings will be all that can be accessed. That is, even though offering names such as "WebSphere Application Server" appear in the list of contents, the full (base) package is not available, which will cause that message to be displayed.
    So, let's also go through the steps for creating a local repository using Packaging Utility that contains WAS for Developers (ILAN). I chose the ILAN edition so this example could be followed by anyone who wants to try it.

1. After you open Packaging Utility, start the Copy Packages wizard.

2. Click the Open Repository... button and provide the URL to the remote IBM-hosted repository that contains WAS for Developers. http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V85WASDeveloperILAN/repository.config
    * Notice that the URL contains the name of the installation package WAS Developers ILAN. Therefore, the WAS for Developers (ILAN) is the base offering that PU will look for later.

3. To show all versions of the packages, select the radio button option to Show All.

4. Scroll down the list of Content until you get to: IBM WebSphere Application Server for Developers (ILAN) Remember, this package name must correspond to the repository to which Packaging Utility is connected.

5. Check the checkbox in front of version 8.5.0.1. Doing so will cause other checkboxes to also become checked. This happens because some of the maintenance files are common across those other installation packages.

-- 5a. If you only check the checkbox in front of version 8.5.0.1, then you will create an installation package with only the data for Fixpack 01 for WAS for Developers v8.5. It will not have the data for installing the full WebSphere Application Server for Developers at version 8.5.0.1 unless you already have that repository available elsewhere, either remote hosted (such as the IBM-hosted repository) or local (such as the downloadable compressed archive available from the WebSphere Trials website). But, this repository could be used to update an existing installation of WAS for Developers that is at version 8.5.0.0 up to version 8.5.0.1.

-- 5b. If you also check the checkbox in from on 8.5.0.0 (the base offering), then Package Utility will recreated a local repository on your machine with both WebSphere Application Server v8.5.0.0 and Fixpack 01. This repository could then be used to install WebSphere Application Server v8.5.0.0 or 8.5.0.1, or update an existing installation of WAS for Developers that is at version 8.5.0.0 up to version 8.5.0.1.

6. Next agree to the license agreement and continue.

7. Specify the location on your local machine where Package Utility can created the repository.

8. Review the list of content to be copied and then click the Copy button to begin downloading the data.
    Another way to get the WebSphere Application Server for Developers (ILAN) version 8.5 installation repository is to download the compressed archive of the repository from the WebSphere trials website. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/ws/wasdevelopers/

1. Choose the option to download using Download Director or HTTP.
    2. After authenticating, choose to download the three parts of the WAS for Developers (ILAN) repository.
    3. Decompress all three parts to a common location on your machine.
    4. Now you have a local repository containing the WAS for Developers v8.5 (ILAN) for all supported platforms.

However, the repository archives available for download are not refreshed with each fixpack release, and therefore might not be as up to date as those you can create yourself using Packaging Utility.
    Let me know whether this helps you create the package you wanted.
    Regards,
    Scott Johnston
    WebSphere Application Server
    Install & Configuration User Experience Lead
    • adbdkb
      adbdkb
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T00:03:46Z  in response to Scott Johnston
      Thank you for the explanation.

From the explanation, I understood that I still have to download the base version separately, it can not be directly used with packaging utility. Is that correct?

As far as downloading the base version from the url you have provided goes, I have been trying to do that for last 2-3 weeks without success. I keep getting something to the effect of 'Bad File' - please retry. So that avenue is also closed at the moment. Is there any other option to get the base version for WAS for Developers?

Thank you
      • IleneSeelemann
        IleneSeelemann
        12 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T02:32:29Z  in response to adbdkb
        You should not need to download the base version separately, but you do need to make sure you select the following offering:

IBM WebSphere Application Server for Developers (ILAN)

from the list.

"(ILAN)" refers to the license type and indicates that this is a no-charge offering. If you select the "Show All" radio button, you should see both 8.5.0.0 and 8.5.0.1 levels.

Note that the following similarly named offering requires entitlement, so you will not be able to copy it unless you have purchased it:

IBM WebSphere Application Server for Developers

For this offering, if you select "Show All", you will only see 8.5.0.1 unless you have purchased it and are using entitled credentials.
        • adbdkb
          adbdkb
          12 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T12:11:03Z  in response to IleneSeelemann
          Thanks Ilene for the details. It explains the reasons for the error I have been seeing when selecting 'IBM Websphere Application Server for Developers'. I guess, I had thought that the WAS 8.5 for developers is a no-charge offering, so did not understand why I was getting the errors.

One more question - Can SDK updates for Java 7 be added to the Package when creating this package or that would need to be a paid addition?

Also, is there a separate document / link for managing this server or same rules as WAS 8.5 Base be applied to it ( currently, I am thinking of managesdk, which is associated with the SDK question ).

Thank you
          • IleneSeelemann
            IleneSeelemann
            12 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T13:14:38Z  in response to adbdkb
            You can install IBM Java 7 with the no-charge, non-warranted Developers Edition.

Use this repository url:

http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.websphere.IBMJAVA.v70

The same rules as Base do apply for switching to Java 7.

If you'd like to try the Packaging Utility option that enables you to download just the repository contents for your platform, check out this article:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.base.doc/ae/tins_creating_cust_reps.html

Note that this is only available using the Packaging Utility command line.
            • adbdkb
              adbdkb
              12 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-10T13:17:47Z  in response to IleneSeelemann
              Thank you Ilene and Scott. I was able to create a respository