Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-04T06:37:03Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1743 Posts

Pinned topic Does it require TWO SEAs for Client partitions that belong to Two Subnets?

‏2013-03-02T00:18:24Z |
Hi,

Our system is managed by IVM and I am quite new to IVM. In order to access IVM we have added a separate interface and a IP via "mktcpip"

mktcpip -hostname <hostname> -inetaddr 10.x.x.x -interface en5 -start -netmask 255.255.255.0 -gateway 10.x.x.1

We want to have two client partitions that belong to two networks; essentially, to two different subnets.

1. Does it require two SEAs? and use two different Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapters (l-lan) to make those two SEAs?

2. When we use HMC, we configure TCP/IP settings for SEA via "mktcpip" or cfgassist. I assume it is still required here. Am I correct? If it is correct, what is the hostname parameter would be in mktcpip command for SEAs? Can it take same value given for VIOS previously?

mktcpip -hostname <hostname> -interface <SEA Interface> -inetaddr <172.xxx.xxx.xxx> -netmask <255.255.255.128> -gateway <172.xxx.xxx.xxx>

Thank you in advanced.
Updated on 2013-03-04T06:37:03Z at 2013-03-04T06:37:03Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

Re: Does it require TWO SEAs for Client partitions that belong to Two Subnets?

‏2013-03-02T00:24:30Z  
    There is no requirement for assigning an IP address on an SEA. That is, an SEA is a layer-2 bridge which works below the TCP layer. The only reason to allocate an IP on an SEA is if you want the VIOS itself to participate on that network (as opposed to simply bridging the network). So in a simple/common case, the VIOS would only have a single network interface - but may have multiple SEAs.

If you want 2 different networks, and are not using 802.1q VLANs, then you will need 2 separate SEAs. If your external switch is vlan aware, then you can accomplish this with a single SEA.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

Re: Does it require TWO SEAs for Client partitions that belong to Two Subnets?

‏2013-03-04T06:37:03Z  
    There is no requirement for assigning an IP address on an SEA. That is, an SEA is a layer-2 bridge which works below the TCP layer. The only reason to allocate an IP on an SEA is if you want the VIOS itself to participate on that network (as opposed to simply bridging the network). So in a simple/common case, the VIOS would only have a single network interface - but may have multiple SEAs.

If you want 2 different networks, and are not using 802.1q VLANs, then you will need 2 separate SEAs. If your external switch is vlan aware, then you can accomplish this with a single SEA.
    Hi Amartey, thanks for the quick response.