Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-08T12:30:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
430 Posts

Pinned topic Based on what criteria ITNM treats a device as managed or un managed

‏2013-03-01T19:22:15Z |
Hi Team,
I am getting confused these days with managed and un managed status of a device or an interface in ITNM, can anyone tel me based on what parameters of a device\interface ITNM treat the device as managed or Unmanaged While discovery.

i am new to ITNM, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks & Regards,
Shyam.
Updated on 2013-03-08T12:30:47Z at 2013-03-08T12:30:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

Re: Based on what criteria ITNM treats a device as managed or un managed

‏2013-03-02T12:13:37Z  
    Defined scopes in discovery configuration should include these address, unless they'll be treated as unmanaged.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2013-03-02T18:17:18Z  
    Defined scopes in discovery configuration should include these address, unless they'll be treated as unmanaged.
    Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the response, My device is discovered and an interface in that device is showing as Unmanaged.
    I want to know why the interface is showing as unmanaged, please note that the interface IP is of different network zone which is not in the scope of my ITNM server, so i cannot ping or telnet the interface but the device is in managed state.

Regards,
    Shyam.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2013-03-04T02:43:39Z  
    Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the response, My device is discovered and an interface in that device is showing as Unmanaged.
    I want to know why the interface is showing as unmanaged, please note that the interface IP is of different network zone which is not in the scope of my ITNM server, so i cannot ping or telnet the interface but the device is in managed state.

Regards,
    Shyam.
    Hi Shyam,

During discovery, interfaces may be set to permanently unmanaged by default, based on their interface type. The TagManagedEntities.stch is responsible of tagging this. You may take a look at this stitcher at $NCHOME/precision/disco/stitchers/TagManagedEntities.stch to see if it helps to answer your query.

More information about this can be found here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v8r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.networkmanagerip.doc_3.9%2Fitnm%2Fip%2Fwip%2Fstart%2Ftask%2Fnmip_dsc_checkingforunmanagedifs.html

Hope this helps,
    Sook Fan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2013-03-04T11:56:49Z  
    Hi Shyam,

During discovery, interfaces may be set to permanently unmanaged by default, based on their interface type. The TagManagedEntities.stch is responsible of tagging this. You may take a look at this stitcher at $NCHOME/precision/disco/stitchers/TagManagedEntities.stch to see if it helps to answer your query.

More information about this can be found here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v8r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.networkmanagerip.doc_3.9%2Fitnm%2Fip%2Fwip%2Fstart%2Ftask%2Fnmip_dsc_checkingforunmanagedifs.html

Hope this helps,
    Sook Fan
    Hi Sook Fan,

Thanks for the response, i have verified in the default unmanaged interfaces by disco, and by using the SQL command in the link u have suggested, i have verified permanently unmanaged interfaces also in the database, but in both the cases my interface is not listed as unmanaged interface.

still is there any other reason to show the interface as unmanaged..?
    Please help me to trace out the problem.

Regards,
    shyam.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2013-03-05T06:50:32Z  
    Hi Sook Fan,

Thanks for the response, i have verified in the default unmanaged interfaces by disco, and by using the SQL command in the link u have suggested, i have verified permanently unmanaged interfaces also in the database, but in both the cases my interface is not listed as unmanaged interface.

still is there any other reason to show the interface as unmanaged..?
    Please help me to trace out the problem.

Regards,
    shyam.
    Hello Shyam,

Can you please check the "status" value for your unmanaged interfaces from the ncim.managedStatus table? If the "status" value is equal to 3, the managedStatus could have been set due to your discovery configuration setting for Ping Verification and Feedback Control, and the interfaces pingability during discovery (among others). Further information about these settings/behaviour and how to change that (if it's not your desired behaviour) is documented here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21515767

Regards,
    Sook Fan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2013-03-08T12:30:47Z  
    Hello Shyam,

Can you please check the "status" value for your unmanaged interfaces from the ncim.managedStatus table? If the "status" value is equal to 3, the managedStatus could have been set due to your discovery configuration setting for Ping Verification and Feedback Control, and the interfaces pingability during discovery (among others). Further information about these settings/behaviour and how to change that (if it's not your desired behaviour) is documented here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21515767

Regards,
    Sook Fan
    Hello Sook Fan,

I came to know that my Interfaces are with Managed status value as 3 in Managestatus Table, Which means that the Ineterface is out of scope to the discovery.
    We can still make it manage by editing the TagManagedEntities.stch sticher but my case we don't have reachability to the Subnet of the interface, so not going for Edititing the stitcher.

Thanks for the response

Regards,
    Shyam.