Updated on 2013-03-04T21:17:04Z at 2013-03-04T21:17:04Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HSISODEL

‏2013-03-04T21:16:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

In the PTF for this change there is a document that explains how to use this new function. In TADz 8.1 this process has been automated so there is no need to run HSISODEL anymore. Below is part of the documentation:
    1.Scan your systems, ensuring you use the latest available GKB.
    2.Specify FULLREMATCH=Y in the IQ Import.

3.Backup the data base – run HSISUNLD.

4.HSISODEL will need minimal modifications:

Use the SET statement to specify a DSN for the HSIIOLST DD.

Specify LIST=ONLY in TPARAM if you want to see which libraries may be affected,
    prior to an actual update. With this option, nothing in the data base is actually
    updated. This listing is in library name collating sequence.

Some libraries might show a “deferred” flag. This indicates a shared library
    (across multiple systems) may still be active in at least one system, hence it is
    not eligible for deletion at this time.

When this parameter is commented out (*LIST=ONLY) or removed altogether in
    TPARAM, an actual update is performed and hence the libraries are listed as they
    come, not in any obvious sequence.

Anything other than 'LIST=ONLY' defaults to update.

5.Schedule the (update) job to run at a “quiet” time. A LIST=ONLY run is not as performance- and/or resource-critical.

6.A REGION=0M is specified in the JOB statement; if applicable, arrange to override your site's limits on region size when running this utility.

As I said before this process is automated now in 8.1 so maybe you should consider upgrading.

Jim Kyriakakis
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-04T21:17:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

In the PTF for this change there is a document that explains how to use this new function. In TADz 8.1 this process has been automated so there is no need to run HSISODEL anymore. Below is part of the documentation:
    1.Scan your systems, ensuring you use the latest available GKB.
    2.Specify FULLREMATCH=Y in the IQ Import.

3.Backup the data base – run HSISUNLD.

4.HSISODEL will need minimal modifications:

Use the SET statement to specify a DSN for the HSIIOLST DD.

Specify LIST=ONLY in TPARAM if you want to see which libraries may be affected,
    prior to an actual update. With this option, nothing in the data base is actually
    updated. This listing is in library name collating sequence.

Some libraries might show a “deferred” flag. This indicates a shared library
    (across multiple systems) may still be active in at least one system, hence it is
    not eligible for deletion at this time.

When this parameter is commented out (*LIST=ONLY) or removed altogether in
    TPARAM, an actual update is performed and hence the libraries are listed as they
    come, not in any obvious sequence.

Anything other than 'LIST=ONLY' defaults to update.

5.Schedule the (update) job to run at a “quiet” time. A LIST=ONLY run is not as performance- and/or resource-critical.

6.A REGION=0M is specified in the JOB statement; if applicable, arrange to override your site's limits on region size when running this utility.

As I said before this process is automated now in 8.1 so maybe you should consider upgrading.

Jim Kyriakakis
  • PatCole
    PatCole
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-22T15:29:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Opened PMR 70339 499 000 today for this:

We had a problem with the Set FOBSERVEDELETED Utility HSISODEL on Sunday.  I cancelled the job when I realized it was not behaving the way I expected.   

The instructions state: 1. Scan your systems using Inquisitor for z/OS (HSISINQZ) and USS (HSISINQU) to make sure you have the latest data.        

We scan our systems every month.  Here is the exact sequence of events:          
    April 13 - IQ Scans all systems
    April 14 - IQ Import with Full Rematch
    April 19 - ZCAT jobs all systems
    April 20 - Usage Import
    April 21 - HSISODEL job

The HSISODEL job output says:
    Most-recent observe last dates of each System.                                    
    Libraries whose observe last dates are older than their respective                
    System may be marked deleted.                                                     

System  Observe last                                                              
    ======  ==========                                                                
    DEVJ    2013-04-19 
    All systems had the same 04-19 date

It appears the date of the most recent usage file is being used for the Observe Last date.  I would interpret that to mean that any library that was not used would get deleted. 

2 Questions:
    1. Does this mean that if the library was not found in the 4-19 usage data, it would be assumed deleted?
    2. Is it a requirement that there not be a usage data import between the IQ scan/import and the HSISODEL job?  Must we schedule HSISODEL to run immediately after the IQ scans/import?

Pat Cole

• AshwiniR
      AshwiniR
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-29T05:25:37Z  in response to PatCole

Hi,

The PMR is closed. Posting the answers here for the benefit of other TADz users.

1. Yes, HSISODEL assumes the libraries not found in the Usage data to be deleted. HSISODEL does not physically delete the data in the Repository so they are only marked "Deleted". Running a new IQ scan and import will restore the libraries which did not have usage data.

2. Yes, HSISODEL should be scheduled immediately after IQ scans and imports.

Ashwini