• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T14:48:19Z by Richard_Good
Richard_Good
Richard_Good
8 Posts

Pinned topic External Links not working after database copy

‏2013-02-27T18:05:36Z |
Hello DOORS Admin,
Raised a case on this, but wondered if anyone has seen this. I am using DOORS 9.2
I needed to split a database, so switched off the database service, then copied the doors data to the new server and created a new doors service that I pointed at the copied data, everything except the external links seems perfect. All other databases can be linked to using a URL, but this one can't, I believe it may have retained some sort of pointer to the old database, but what and where to look!

Note that the URL's that are failing are taken direct from the object using the right hand mouse button and the Copy URL menu option then pasted into Internet Explorer, when I do this I always get the same error which is as follows: -

Unable to Follow URL
Unable to find specified container item

Any Help appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard
Updated on 2013-03-01T14:48:19Z at 2013-03-01T14:48:19Z by Richard_Good
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    8 Posts

Re: External Links not working after database copy

‏2013-02-27T18:09:02Z  
    Note it is important to say that the failing URLs are taken from the new server, not the old one. I am trying to create a few links from the old half of the database to the new ones. This is not a migration of old URLs, and I realise that URLS reflect the server and port that the service serving them lives on. Important to make that clear!
  • llandale
    llandale
    248 Posts

‏2013-02-27T21:15:13Z  
    I don't know, but the following is a good guess.

Right now, if you run this:
    • print (getDatabaseIdentifier())
    on both databases they will be the same. That, I think, is your problem.

I think you need to turn off the new service, rename the new file folder, create an empty folder of the previous name, start the Service, and log into DOORS. A "new" database will be created; you provide some new password. Turn off the service, rename the New New database folder and rename the OLD NEW one back.

One of the files in the NEW NEW root folder contains the database ID information. Sorry, don't know which one. THAT one file will need to be placed in the hierarchy and unless someone tells us which one you'll need to find out one at a time the hard way; first making a copy of the files so you can reinstate them.

-Louie
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    8 Posts

‏2013-02-28T10:30:27Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2013-02-27T21:15:13Z
    I don't know, but the following is a good guess.

Right now, if you run this:
    • print (getDatabaseIdentifier())
    on both databases they will be the same. That, I think, is your problem.

I think you need to turn off the new service, rename the new file folder, create an empty folder of the previous name, start the Service, and log into DOORS. A "new" database will be created; you provide some new password. Turn off the service, rename the New New database folder and rename the OLD NEW one back.

One of the files in the NEW NEW root folder contains the database ID information. Sorry, don't know which one. THAT one file will need to be placed in the hierarchy and unless someone tells us which one you'll need to find out one at a time the hard way; first making a copy of the files so you can reinstate them.

-Louie
    Seems to be an issue with the standard view, I took the URL from a view other than the standard and it works. Weird! I am creating my URLs using dxl to reconnect a split database in a few places, I guess I'll try connecting them to a non existent view number in the hope that will load the standard view, maybe the &view=00000000& is the standard view? You don't get the &view& bit if you take the URl from an object displayed in the standard view.
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    8 Posts

‏2013-02-28T10:40:16Z  
    Seems to be an issue with the standard view, I took the URL from a view other than the standard and it works. Weird! I am creating my URLs using dxl to reconnect a split database in a few places, I guess I'll try connecting them to a non existent view number in the hope that will load the standard view, maybe the &view=00000000& is the standard view? You don't get the &view& bit if you take the URl from an object displayed in the standard view.
    Adding the &view=000000& bit to my url seems to solve my problem and loads the default view for the module, this is an acceptable workaround. This issue is still a bug though. Odd.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts

‏2013-02-28T22:11:53Z  
    Adding the &view=000000& bit to my url seems to solve my problem and loads the default view for the module, this is an acceptable workaround. This issue is still a bug though. Odd.
    The attached IBM TechNote may be of interest to you. It provides info about the DOORS Database ID and what happens when you copy a DOORS DB and run it as a new DOORS service

Paul Miller,
    Melbourne, Australia
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    8 Posts

‏2013-03-01T09:45:14Z  
    The attached IBM TechNote may be of interest to you. It provides info about the DOORS Database ID and what happens when you copy a DOORS DB and run it as a new DOORS service

Paul Miller,
    Melbourne, Australia
    Louie, Paul,
    Thanks for the input, I think I will stick with the view trick and not change the database identifier. The url contains the server name and the port number it is served from, you would think that would be sufficient to distinguish the old from the new. The tech note says I cannot use RIF which is almost worth migrating for in itself! I think I am still traumatised from the last time I used RIF!

Regards,

Richard
  • SudarshanRao
    SudarshanRao
    16 Posts

‏2013-03-01T11:16:32Z  
    Louie, Paul,
    Thanks for the input, I think I will stick with the view trick and not change the database identifier. The url contains the server name and the port number it is served from, you would think that would be sufficient to distinguish the old from the new. The tech note says I cannot use RIF which is almost worth migrating for in itself! I think I am still traumatised from the last time I used RIF!

Regards,

Richard
    If database ID is the same, you may run into issues using external links.
    If you have an active session connected to DB A, and you access a URL from DB B where same module id exists in DB A as well, I think the module in DB A will open, rather than module in DB B.
    Since you say you've split database, I'm assuming that there aren't any common items in both databases. So, you may want to create a folder/project at the root level in both databases and create a module in it (which I think will give you same unique ID for that newly created item in both databases). If the URLs are the same, you may want to play around and see if it meets your expectations - especially when you have an active session with one database and are trying to access same item in another database.
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    8 Posts

‏2013-03-01T14:48:19Z  
    If database ID is the same, you may run into issues using external links.
    If you have an active session connected to DB A, and you access a URL from DB B where same module id exists in DB A as well, I think the module in DB A will open, rather than module in DB B.
    Since you say you've split database, I'm assuming that there aren't any common items in both databases. So, you may want to create a folder/project at the root level in both databases and create a module in it (which I think will give you same unique ID for that newly created item in both databases). If the URLs are the same, you may want to play around and see if it meets your expectations - especially when you have an active session with one database and are trying to access same item in another database.
    I really don't understand why the database identifier should be an issue when the new database is on a differrent server/ port than the old one and the server and port are part of the URL. I take it you are implying that the server and port that appear in the URL are just there for decoration and do not do anything functional? I would be a little surprised if that was the case.

for clarity on the old server I have a url like

doors://myOldServerName:36678/?version=2&prodid=0&urn=urn:telelogic::1-111111111-M-00000b

and on the new
    doors://myNewServerName:36699/?version=2&prodid=0&urn=urn:telelogic::1-111111111-M-00000b

i.e. They are clearly different.