Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-28T17:26:20Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1632 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DB2 Data Studio 3.2 Blackout Events

‏2013-02-27T15:04:42Z |
I have tried to use the Blackout Event feature to disable alerts for 7 databases on one server for 2 hours to no avail. The Blackout Event is listed in the Blackout Event tab as Active and has the correct date and time. On the surface all appears fine. However, in the Database Tab the Databases show the column Blackout Active as NO. I also get the alerts for all these databases not being available until they are once again available. I should say that I have been able to get this to work for one database. However if I schedule multiple databases as multiple events it does not work either. Is anyone else having these issues and if so how are you able to correct it.
Updated on 2013-02-28T17:26:20Z at 2013-02-28T17:26:20Z by SystemAdmin
  • mjmiski
    mjmiski
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DB2 Data Studio 3.2 Blackout Events

‏2013-02-27T17:07:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The Blackout events are set using the local browser time. Is your data server in a different time zone than your local machine where you run the browser? Just a guess.

For example, suppose your local machine/browser runs in US Central time and your managed DB is in US eastern time. If you want a blackout on the database from 2-3am Eastern, you would need to schedule it in your browser as 1-2am.

Also - If you (or someone else) then looked at the same blackout screen from Eastern time zone browser, that blackout event would appear as scheduled for 2-3am. (or in pacific time browser, it would look like 11pm the prior day)

Basically the displayed times are relative to your locale. Internally they are stored UTC but just rendered relative to your local time zone. Currently the time zone itself is not shown on the screen.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1632 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T00:38:56Z  in response to mjmiski
      Thanks for your reply. This didn't solve my issue as the time for both the local browser and the data server are in the same time zone. However, it made me think about the time of the blackout. I tested it by setting the start time to a time in the future (i.e.: 10 minutes after I saved the blackout event. That worked fine. Then I tested it by just using the start time it suggested (the time when I started filling out the data for the blackout) and after a minute or so I saved the blackout event. That in fact did not put the databases in a blackout active state. So I believe you must start the blackout event at a time later than the time at which you save it.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1632 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T17:26:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        When a blackout event is created, the default time is usually the current time plus one minute (maybe I should change it to two minutes. :)). Therefore, if you exceed the time before you click save button, it will not kick off the blackout since it's already passed. Usually it should tell you that your scheduled time is in the past. My guess is in your case we only compare down to the minute whether the time has passed or not, but internally, it actually also use the seconds (and micro seconds) to represent a scheduled time. And maybe your scheduled time already passed the current time (in seconds wise, but not in minute), therefore it didn't prompt you the error about the scheduled time is already in the past. Sorry about it. Selecting 7 databases probably takes longer than one minute to schedule it.